Does afternoon rain knock out thermals?

Share and Showcase your hunting success stories.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

JoeFranchise

Does afternoon rain knock out thermals?

Unread postby JoeFranchise » Fri Jul 28, 2017 1:27 am

Been meaning to move this over from the thread "Does afternoon rain knock out thermals?"

Figured with the 2017 season right around the corner this might get some wheels turning or light bulbs going off.

Below are some details and the story of my 2016 WI Bow Kill.
- Public land
- Early season
- Winter scouted
- Bed hunt
- 1st time in for the year
- Second sit of the season
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The short answer is it depends on many factors. Keep in mind each hunt/setup is different...

Having a detailed understanding of how the specific terrain you are hunting is impacted by various conditions, and how the deer respond to those conditional changes, can certainly be a deal breaker.

In regard to a post-rain hunt, a few questions you might ask yourself which may/should impact your setup;
1) Has it been getting progressively colder throughout the day or days prior?
2) How warm has it been in the hours or even days preceding the rain (cooling 60 degree soil vs. 40 degree soil)?
3) Is the sun shining after the rain?
4) Is there a nearby water feature (swamp, marsh, creek, etc.) that would impact - push/pull the thermals?
5) Slope in relation to terrain and aquatic features.
6) Wind/speed/direction in relation to terrain and aquatic features.
7) Has it been raining while the air temp is dropping throughout the day?
8) Probably others I am missing...

Story:
The day I killed my 2016 archery buck was following 3 days of heavy rain. Intermittent cooling rain throughout the day, combined with an ~15 degree F temperature drop, lead to falling thermals from at least the time I got in to the stand until my buck hit the ground at approximately 6:50 PM. Watched the milkweed fall against the wind, once dropping below the wind tunnel, from the time I got set up... The factors that contributed to the falling thermals;

- 3 days of prior cloudy/rainy days (cooling the soil to a consistent temperature)
- Cloudy day of hunt (almost no additional solar radiation hitting/warming soil; Note: only ~10% solar radiation penetrates through clouds on 100% cloudy days)
- Significantly cooler day of hunt (again ~15 degrees F temperature change in less than 12 hours)
- Cool rainfall (cooling surface soil temps throughout the day)
-- IN SUMMARY: previous cloud cover, current cloud cover, cool rainfall, soil temp change, and air temp change trumped solar radiation that day

Everything was nearly perfect for both the buck and I. The buck bedded with the wind in his face (just how that bed sets up with that specific wind - took me a couple of years to figure this spot out...), falling thermals and thick cover at his back, slightly more open in front of him (subtle transition from post-successional logging). My wind would have been blowing directly at him if not for the terrain feature used to redirect my scent. Additionally, falling thermals are needed with the specific wind I was hunting to make the terrain feature work; if thermals are rising, even with the same wind (in the same spot), they go up and over the terrain feature and fall in/near the bedding and I don't see any deer (thanks to a milkweed epiphany I had in 2015). A meticulous, calculated, access route is also essential to the success of this setup, especially with the falling thermals.

Back to the hunt; the buck could see, and hear, the intended food source from his bed but could not see my stand (although I was set up right over the food, the aforementioned terrain feature prevented me from being seen from his vantage point). Three days of constant heavy rain kept him, or any other deer off this seasonal food source while high winds from the previous days deposited a large amount of the seasonal sustenance on the forest floor. At 6:45PM he walked from his bed (found in the winter of 2014-2015) ~80-100 yards, with the wind in his face, falling thermals covering his rear, to the point where I shot him - 8 yards from the tree.

With the right conditions thermals can certainly fall following an afternoon, or all day, rain...

Joe

Field Pictures:

stash59

Re: Does afternoon rain knock out thermals?

Unread postby stash59 » Fri Jul 28, 2017 2:28 am

:think: 8-) :clap: :dance:
Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!
JoeFranchise

Unread postby JoeFranchise » Fri Jul 28, 2017 3:41 am

Been lurking on here far too long; might as well start sharing some experiences, insight, and put a face to the username. At some point I'll throw a bio together along with stories/pictures from the last 5 years.

Joe

DaveT1963
500 Club

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Fri Jul 28, 2017 3:45 am

it is not the rain that will cause a shift in thermals - it is the subsequent or concurrent temp fluctuation.
JoeFranchise

Unread postby JoeFranchise » Fri Jul 28, 2017 3:56 am

Thanks Dave. Maybe I should have titled this thread differently (just pulled the title of the thread where I originally posted this story).

I am well aware that thermals are controlled by air, soil and water temperature fluctuations (as well as terrain, among other factors). This is just meant to be an example of a kill where; the temperature was dropping over the course of a few days, a rain event occurred and thermals were dropping well before the evening hours.

Perfect storm kind of day for the spot...

Joe
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Fri Jul 28, 2017 3:57 am

8-)
JoeFranchise

Unread postby JoeFranchise » Fri Jul 28, 2017 4:00 am

DaveT,

Nice looking bow in your profile picture by the way. I'll be headed in to the woods with a new Dwyer Endeavor this fall. 58" 47# @ 28". Good luck in your upcoming season.

Joe
DaveT1963
500 Club

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Fri Jul 28, 2017 5:25 am

JoeFranchise wrote:Thanks Dave. Maybe I should have titled this thread differently (just pulled the title of the thread where I originally posted this story).

I am well aware that thermals are controlled by air, soil and water temperature fluctuations (as well as terrain, among other factors). This is just meant to be an example of a kill where; the temperature was dropping over the course of a few days, a rain event occurred and thermals were dropping well before the evening hours.

Perfect storm kind of day for the spot...

Joe

roger that - I seldom read through the threads anymore just the title and post :)
justdirtyfun
500 Club

Unread postby justdirtyfun » Fri Jul 28, 2017 6:04 am

Very informative. Thanks for sharing your experience.
You don't have to be the best, just do your best.
RidgeGhost
500 Club

Unread postby RidgeGhost » Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:41 am

Awesome! I have been wondering about rain and cloud cover timing and their impact on thermals. I have some spots that I need an early afternoon thermal drop to happen before I can get to them. I'm sure there are many situations where I can use this info to my advantage.

Great post! And that's a huge buck, at least where I hunt-congrats
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Fri Jul 28, 2017 1:30 pm

:clap:
Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.
WV Bowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby WV Bowhunter » Fri Jul 28, 2017 1:45 pm

Dandy buck!!
Luck is when preparation meets opportunity!!
Wannabelikedan
500 Club

Unread postby Wannabelikedan » Sat Jul 29, 2017 12:50 am

Very good content Joe and even better job nailing down the details that made it come together! Freakin stud, congrats!
Teaching is only demonstrating that it is possible.... Learning is making it possible for yourself.

• Advertisement

Return to “Kill Zone”