My 2016 PA Archery Buck self filmed (with a crazy suprise ending)

Share and Showcase your hunting success stories.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

rfickes87
500 Club

My 2016 PA Archery Buck self filmed (with a crazy suprise ending)

Unread postby rfickes87 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 7:50 am

Well guys, since joining the Beast last July, my scouting ability and my confidence in the field has simply skyrocketed. I thank Dan and all you guys for that. At 29 I've killed several bucks. Nothing over 102" though and mostly on public. My new goal now has to perennially go after and kill mature bucks with the bow, BEAST style. With the knowledge I'm constantly gaining here I think I'll get there but it wasn't this past year.
Now... I don't think this hunt quite qualifies as a Beast kill and I wasn't going to post this hunt story bc it's just another little scrubby buck for me amongst so many monster buck stories on this site by truely great hunters. But I noticed recently some new guys joining the beast and some mentioning they've never killed a buck before so I thought you know what, I'll post this. Perhaps if anything it can be a great way to adjust the learning curve to go from never killing a buck to Dan Infalt style hunting... Here goes...

Trying to bed hunt the beast style way for mature bucks didn't pan out for me this past year. In a desperation attempt on the last day of PA Archery I was online cyber scouting and checked the weather and saw a North wind predicted. So I picked a familiar south facing hillside. The stars shown below are beds I new of in a logged area growing up real thick now. Other than this bedding area everything else is all oaks and mature timber...

The X was my stand. I anticipated deer activity on the leeward ridge below me and had my camera ready in that direction. Dropping milkweed all morning the wind never did anything but blow straight down south as predicted by the weatherman. However at about 1030am with the temps rising to about 40 degrees i had to laugh as my mlkwood seeds were blowing back uphill to me! It was crazy to watch the thermals take effect. A strong occasional gust of wind would blow them back down to the south. Occasionally I would squirt out some doe estrous scent. With the thermals in full effect I was prepared for buck activity along that hillside and soon that's just what happened! All my years killing bucks this one was special to me because I went in with a plan to play the wind and thermals and for the first time finally understood what was happening with the deer movement. All thanks to this site.

I first caught is movement as he walked along the hillside and I saw him catch my doe scent stream and then he walked right to me tree. It was like I was fishing with a rod and reel. All on video in my first video link below...

https://youtu.be/VC587UdJDrE

After the shot he ran about 40 yards and layed down to die. That's where my second video begins. Another buck came up over the hill and caught his scent and walked up to him and began to pick a fight with him. What I got to see is probably once in a lifetime. Cray stuff as you'll see. Pardon my language, I was just really excited. I felt bad for him and I wanted to yell at the buck but I didn't want my buck to run away either. When I got down and walked up to him there was hair all over and he had cuts on his body.

https://youtu.be/PtKP5IWYmlc

Like I said, I wasn't going to post this bc its not big bucks. Just any average PA buck hunt, but I learned a lot from it and maybe some beginners on this site can take something from it.

"Pressure and Time. That's all it takes, really. Pressure, and time..."
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Re: My 2016 PA Archery Buck self filmed (with a crazy suprise ending)

Unread postby Stanley » Mon Jan 09, 2017 8:09 am

Good stuff.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:12 am

Congrats on the kill!! :dance: :dance:
Jlaneb
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SENDITTV/

Unread postby Jlaneb » Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:55 am

Congrats! Nothing wrong with being proud of a well executed plan and an archery buck kill. What a strange but awesome encounter. Well done!
mainebowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby mainebowhunter » Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:52 am

Nice!

Lucky for you he did not push your buck out of there. Seen that happen. Buck does not die right away. Lays down, another buck comes in and pushes him.
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:54 am

Didn't see it, but heard a buck clash antlers in the direction a buck I shot ran. Moments later a buck showed up in range of me. It looked like he had blood on his horns. Which I confirmed with binos. When I found my buck he had all kinds of hair torn off of his body!!!

Congrats!!! :text-thankyouyellow: :handgestures-thumbup: 8-) 8-) 8-) :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:
rfickes87
500 Club

Unread postby rfickes87 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:58 am

stash59 wrote:Didn't see it, but heard a buck clash antlers in the direction a buck I shot ran. Moments later a buck showed up in range of me. It looked like he had blood on his horns. Which I confirmed with binos. When I found my buck he had all kinds of hair torn off of his body!!!

Congrats!!! :text-thankyouyellow: :handgestures-thumbup: 8-) 8-) 8-) :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Yep that's what happened to this guy. Clumps of hair all over him. I saw some cuts on his forehead and hind legs. I think in my video if you look close you can see blood on that fork horn bucks antlers.
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:33 am

spectacular!
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
jwilkstn
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/jason.wilkerson.71

Unread postby jwilkstn » Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:38 am

That's awesome man! Congratulations! 8-)
Not all those who wander are lost...
Joe68
500 Club
Facebook: Don't believe in facebook

Unread postby Joe68 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:39 am

Congrats. Cool video. Thanks for sharing.
mathews418

Unread postby mathews418 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:43 am

comgrats man!!! Wonderful video!!!
Rich M
500 Club

Unread postby Rich M » Tue Jan 10, 2017 3:36 am

That was intense. The little buck was saying "I whupped him!".
rfickes87
500 Club

Unread postby rfickes87 » Thu Jan 12, 2017 5:39 am

Rich M wrote:That was intense. The little buck was saying "I whupped him!".

Oh for sure! he walked off all big and bad haha. At that point my buck was dead. I also figured too he was probably getting revenge from a prior run-in with my deer.
Wetfoot
500 Club

Unread postby Wetfoot » Thu Jan 12, 2017 6:34 am

About 6 years ago I was admiring an 8 point I had just taken when another buck approach ears laid back ready to fight. Was so amused that it didn't immediately register that I could get gored lol. Made myself real big and loud! Buck ran off,one of my favorite moments in all my years hunting. :D Would have been awesome to get on film. Congratulations on your hunt and getting that footage!!!!
AttackMode

Unread postby AttackMode » Sat Jan 21, 2017 9:41 am

Congrats on your buck. Your plan worked out great!!
I just kill mtn bucks

• Advertisement

Return to “Kill Zone”