Tn public land 11pt!

Share and Showcase your hunting success stories.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Bonecrusher101
500 Club

Tn public land 11pt!

Unread postby Bonecrusher101 » Tue Nov 29, 2016 5:24 pm

I broke my story into paragraphs so you guys wouldn't have to read all of it unless u wanted. It's a bit long, but I wanted to include my new family in the story. The 11 point bit starts on the last few paragraphs.

First off I am so truly blessed in every way! My wife and I had been trying to have children for a few years without luck. I had been keeping deer season in mind while we were trying and wanted the babies birthday in early spring. After a few years it was out of my mind and I thought we weren't going to have any kids. Well, I found out my wife was pregnant back in May. We were both overly excited, but the timing wasn't what I had hoped for. She also was carrying twins due to come out in the middle of December. With twins typically being early thats whitetail rut.

My plan was to tear it up during bow season and be done by the time the girls arrived. I hunted very hard during bow season and was happy with the one doe I killed. I just did not have many opportunities to kill and saw very few deer during early season. Once mid November hit deer activity picked up. I killed my 2nd doe with my muzzleloader one afternoon after I got off work. The next weekend I managed to killed a very heavy 7 point in a cutover that was bullying smaller bucks.

On Wednesday evening, Nov 16 my wife goes into labor pain and we are in the hospital. We thought they were going to release her, but at 5 am on Thursday November 17 the twins weren't waiting any longer. My wife and twin girls made it through the ordeal well. The twins had to stay in the hospital for a few weeks because they were small. My wife stayed in the hospital for 4 days through all of it. I had been with her the entire time till. I asked her what she thought about me slipping out to the woods for a few hours on Saturday morning November 19. It was opening day and I had a brand new slug gun that I had yet to take hunting.

She encouraged me to go and I told her I'd be back around noon. I pulled up and parked next to another truck saturday morning and started the 1 mile and 1/2 trek back. I had not been in this section of woods since last season but had seen good numbers of deer in years past. Once I got close within a 1/3 mi of where I wanted to set up I saw the other hunters flash light in an opposite direction. Whoop, whoop smooth sailing he won't see me and he's not where I wanna hunt.

I set up and within a 30-45 mins I catch movement I scoped the deer and it's a doe, it's the lead doe. 5 of them trot by at 60 yards and head towards where the other hunter set up. 20 mins later I hear him shoot. 3 shots I counted. I thought surely he didn't shoot a doe. This wma doesn't allow does to be taken after statewide season opens.

30 minutes later the wind was picking up and everything was moving. I catch movement coming my way and it's a deer a few moments later I realize it's a buck then I plainly saw he was a 10 point. I was admiring him through the cross hairs when the gun went off! He was about 70 or 80 yards away, first clean shot I had on him. He dropped on the spot and struggled a bit. I put the 2nd shot through his heart to hurry up and end it.

Beautiful buck, a nice 10 point with a little flier off his G3 on right side! I'm ecstatic about my weekend. Now the work. I have a plastic sled in my truck but no deer cart, no phone service. I know there's someone else back here with me. There's no way I'm leaving this beautiful buck anywhere. I didn't think the sled would be worth the effort of 2 trips so I decided to just start dragging. I broke my stand down and took my outer layer of clothes off and stuffed everything under a deadfall.

I had made 3/4 of a mile down the access trail when Tim the other guy I parked next to caught up to me. He had a big beautiful 9 point on his cart with a lot of his other gear. He was older and winded but wiser and had a cart! I needed his help, he needed mine. It worked out well for us and we both stayed gabbing about deer hunting the whole time so it kept our minds off the task at hand.

I'm so blessed this season, thanks to all the beast who make this site what it is!

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

Be original and Enjoy every step along the adventure.
PK_
500 Club

Re: Tn public land 11pt!

Unread postby PK_ » Tue Nov 29, 2016 5:38 pm

That is a beauty. Good job. It's nice running into other good people in the woods.

No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Tue Nov 29, 2016 6:54 pm

Very nice buck. Congrats 8-)

Ack

Unread postby Ack » Tue Nov 29, 2016 7:26 pm

Great looking buck....congratulations! :clap:
Motivated
500 Club

Unread postby Motivated » Tue Nov 29, 2016 11:07 pm

Congratulations! What a great year!

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Work hard, stay humble, be kind.
mainebowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby mainebowhunter » Tue Nov 29, 2016 11:12 pm

Congrats...some seasons it happens in a moment. Just like that.
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Wed Nov 30, 2016 12:24 am

Spectacular!

Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
john1984

Unread postby john1984 » Wed Nov 30, 2016 12:31 am

Great buck! ! Congrats

Rich M
500 Club

Unread postby Rich M » Wed Nov 30, 2016 12:49 am

That's a great story - congratulations on the twins too! :clap:
MN_DeerHunter
500 Club

Unread postby MN_DeerHunter » Wed Nov 30, 2016 1:00 am

Congratulations, fantastic story and what a year you're having!

Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Wed Nov 30, 2016 1:38 am

Congrats on a dandy buck! Congrats on the babies!

moog5050
500 Club

Unread postby moog5050 » Wed Nov 30, 2016 2:09 am

Congrats on all!
thwack16
500 Club

Unread postby thwack16 » Wed Nov 30, 2016 2:10 am

Awesome buck man! Congrats on the twins as well!
kripp53

Unread postby kripp53 » Wed Nov 30, 2016 2:17 am

Congrats on the twins! A nice buck too!
Joe68
500 Club
Facebook: Don't believe in facebook

Unread postby Joe68 » Wed Nov 30, 2016 2:23 am

Congrats. Awesome story.

• Advertisement