First Public Land Deer with a Bow

Share and Showcase your hunting success stories.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

jwzimmer

First Public Land Deer with a Bow

Unread postby jwzimmer » Tue Nov 15, 2016 10:00 am

I had my first taste of success down here in south Alabama last Thursday. After stumbling across this site earlier this year, I decided I would hunt this year like I have never hunted before. Instead of being a deer ambusher that only sits in a rut funnel or a food plot, I would subscribe the the beast philosophy and actually get out there and hunt. I am blessed to live within diving 30 minute distance to several bow only public hunting lands as well as a some shotgun access areas. So I thought what the heck I'll give my lease a break until the rut roles around and hunt public. I bought both Dan's hill country and swamp buck DVD's and started studying. Realizing that I was late in the game for scouting with only a week before our bow season opener, I decided cyber scouting during the season for likely bedding areas and hunting blind would be my strategy for this year. I have never killed a deer on public with a bow so I set that as my goal for the season. I also wanted to learn the land and determine where the big'uns are living as I hunt through the available areas. After doing some cyber scouting I have been in the woods a total of 4 times this year. 100% of these trips I have seen deer from the stands locations that I predetermined with Google Earth. I have found beds in about 30% of all locations that I thought there should be, and 80 percent of the military crest that I set out to walk in these areas have been deer trails. I attribute 100% of this success to the knowledge and skills that I have gained from the members on this site. It is rare to find such a library of actual useful information that can produce results.

Now to the hunt... It was the the first night that reached below 40F in south Alabama so I gave the boss a call and got a morning pass. I was hunting just off of a oak tree covered point that jutted out about 150 yards to my right into a swamp with a white oak flat to my left. Off the end of the point is an island that sets up perfect for a potential buck bed. It was a morning hunt and my scent was traveling directly parallel to the point in the direction just off of the potential bedding area. I have learned from an earlier hunt in a similar situation that you don't want the wind blowing directly towards you from the point due to wind coming over the taller oak trees on the point swirling making your scent carried towards the point. I got to the stand about an hour before shooting light and hoped to catch the deer moving from the oak flat to down the point to the suspected bedding area. Right at shooting light I had a small 6pt come perfectly down the point within about 20 yards of my position. I was looking for either a mature buck or a solid doe "Thanksgiving is right around the corner" so I let the small buck pass. About 20 minute later a couple of doe walk just off of the point directly towards my stand. There was no way to draw back with out getting busted so I waited. Finally the second doe stopped to munch on an acorn she was close enough that I could hear her munching. I've never had such an adrenaline rush from a doe before. The lead doe, now standing at 12 yards, threw her head back at the sound of her partner eating and looked at the second doe. This opened a small window of opportunity for me to pull my bow back. Apparently the lead doe wanted to get a bite as well and made two steps swinging her torso around presenting me with as excellent broadside shot. I let the arrow fly and it found its mark making a double lung shot. The doe fell within thirty yards of the shot! Sweet, sweet, success!

I have killed some decent deer by hunting funnels during the rut with a rifle and watching a food plot in late season as the deer were trying to replenish the energy burnt up in the rut, but it has always seemed to be just waiting watching the same stands year over year hoping to get lucky and see a deer come out. I have never had the since of satisfaction that I got from strategically studying a map, determining a location, hunt plan, executing said plan, and harvesting an animal. This in my opinion is real hunting.

John Zimmerman <><
Thunder Stick III 50#@29"
john1984

Re: First Public Land Deer with a Bow

Unread postby john1984 » Tue Nov 15, 2016 10:05 am

Congrats

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Motivated
500 Club

Unread postby Motivated » Tue Nov 15, 2016 10:10 am

Awesome!

Great job doing something different and new. You're right. It makes the old way seem like buying a lottery ticket and waiting.

Work hard, stay humble, be kind.
hunter_mike

Unread postby hunter_mike » Tue Nov 15, 2016 10:10 am

Congrats!

“The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Wed Nov 16, 2016 3:19 pm

Congrats! :dance: :dance:

Chuck B
500 Club

Unread postby Chuck B » Wed Nov 16, 2016 3:28 pm

Nice work!

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
If you aren't green and growing, you are ripe and rotting
Killemquietly

Unread postby Killemquietly » Wed Nov 16, 2016 4:18 pm

Bravo! Now the fun begins. Can't wait for our temp to drop here in Louisiana.

Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Wed Nov 16, 2016 4:36 pm

:clap: :clap: :clap:
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Wed Nov 16, 2016 6:24 pm

Congrats :clap:

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Ack

Unread postby Ack » Wed Nov 16, 2016 6:54 pm

Congratulations!
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Thu Nov 17, 2016 2:33 am

Congrats! :dance:
Joe68
500 Club
Facebook: Don't believe in facebook

Unread postby Joe68 » Thu Nov 17, 2016 4:45 am

Congrats.
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Fri Nov 18, 2016 12:11 am

8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:
Jlaneb
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SENDITTV/

Unread postby Jlaneb » Fri Nov 18, 2016 1:08 am

Yes! Congrats, man. I'm in the same boat. First year hunting like a BEAST, and took a doe on public last week. Most satisfying feeling there is. My story is in my journal. The similarities in our hunts are really interesting. Again, congrats.
Ol'DanBoone

Unread postby Ol'DanBoone » Fri Nov 18, 2016 1:11 am

Awesome, congratulations brother.

• Advertisement

Return to “Kill Zone”