A hunt I will never forget on public land!

Share and Showcase your hunting success stories.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Bowhunter4life
500 Club

A hunt I will never forget on public land!

Unread postby Bowhunter4life » Wed Oct 19, 2016 12:22 pm

I don't even know how to start this other than saying I was fortunate enough to find the bed of a very nice deer. This is a place on public land that I have been really wanting to try but a lot of things come into play with it. I scouted and found it two years ago. Is a very remote area. I have found some impressive sign right in and around the big beds. Trees hit were always hit high up. Around the area tho is just small rubs and rubbed very low. Sure this is the smaller deer that is hanging out near this area and satilite bedding as Dan often refers too. Two years ago some guys found the area and well they set up shop on some of the sign that was in the bottom. The deer relocated. I never hunted it. This year comes around and I had been in there during the spring. He was back in there and using the area often. Had been a tough start to the season as my cameras were definitely not showing much at all in areas I tend to see them. Hunted a few times and things just would not work out for me. Busted by wind and also busted hunting out of a sitdrag saddle that I found out I tend to move a lot more in than say a hang on. Not at all knocking them, but for me my lone wolf works best. It was warm out and pretty dry for the most part. I knew there was a little pond on the opposite ridge and pretty much only water anywhere around there when it's dry. I had seen how the buck liked to exit the beds dropping off down in a very tight bottom crossing it and up across the ridge as it headed on out toward the field and does. Heavy winds and warm temps I thought I'm gonna try it. Went in and started slipping off down the ridge across from the one this buck was bedding on. I was checking the wind out constantly throwing little pieces of cotton. I ended up getting to low and wind was doing some funky stuff so I had no choice but to come back up some and find a consistent current. Well I was able to do that roughly 40 yards back up. I'm set up and right at last light I hear a noise then look down there to spot a lone deer coming up out of the bottom just as I had expected he would. I was unable to see horns but I knew it was a buck by the body size. As he is working his way up there he started turning headed in the direction I had walked down there and came back up. I knew that I was gonna have to get him before he got there. As he works on up there I really had no shots at all he stops behind a big red oak and I see his head come out from behind it. He was in the full sneak position and no doubt in my mind he was really testing those strong winds to sniff for danger. One more half step and he locks up and becomes on high alert. As this is happening I'm coming to full draw. I knew he was seconds from bolting and I'd not have a chance at any other shots. I settled the pin right at the front shoulder where the neck and shoulder meet and let it go. I knew he was slightly quartering to me but how much I was unsure of. He turned and bolted out of there. I got down and checked the scene of the shot. Good blood there so I just set down there and gave him another 30 minutes. All the while the wind is blowing and leaves are flipping over rolling several feet at a time. I was thinking as I was sitting there this is gonna be tough and it indeed ended up being. I tracked him 60 yards and marked the last place I could find blood then back out. Back in this morning and just as I had expected I couldn't find more blood. I kept searching in the direction I thought he had gone. Dropped to the bottom and walked it all out very good then went up on the points and looked in the beds I knew he had came from, nothing. Hours of walking and searching and now I'm getting the sick feeling cause I knew what I had saw come up on me. I decided I was going back to the last blood and gonna look as hard as I could to see some sort of sign in the direction he may of went. Just as I neared it I happen to look off in this nasty ditch formed by erosion and there he was. I was thinking a 150's last night but he was definitely bigger. The feeling I had come over me is just unexplainable and how much I appreciate having the opportunity to hunt this animal is something I'll never forget. Putting the tape to him and I even had my wife come out and do it herself we were less than a inch apart on score. he's a mid 170s rough scored deer and definitely my best to date. He ended up being more quartering to me than I had thought and the arrow did infact get lungs. 80 yards maybe total he ran. This hunting site here I don't believe anyone realizes the amount of knowledge shared. I appreciate it and I'm seeing the benefits I have gained from it. Every little thing a person can pick up off here is proven knowledge on some of the hardest animals to hunt in the world, public land and pressured bucks!! Thanks to all for the support.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

Dewey

Re: A hunt I will never forget on public land!

Unread postby Dewey » Wed Oct 19, 2016 12:26 pm

Awesome buck. Congrats. :clap:

Bowhunting Brian
500 Club

Unread postby Bowhunting Brian » Wed Oct 19, 2016 12:27 pm

He's a dandy. Congrats!

[ Post made via Android ] Image
JÄGER

Unread postby JÄGER » Wed Oct 19, 2016 12:29 pm

Nice one brother thanks for sharing

headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Wed Oct 19, 2016 12:30 pm

Incredible buck!! Big congrats!! :clap:
Wlog
500 Club

Unread postby Wlog » Wed Oct 19, 2016 12:31 pm

Giant! Impressive! Congrats man, you must be on cloud nine right now.

Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding.
Bbostrom

Unread postby Bbostrom » Wed Oct 19, 2016 12:32 pm

After last season I was very impressed your the real deal beautiful deer bud congrats!!

mainebowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby mainebowhunter » Wed Oct 19, 2016 12:32 pm

I would guess this is the largest buck shot so far this year on the beast? What a beauty! Congrats to you ...buck of a lifetime. wow.
justdirtyfun
500 Club

Unread postby justdirtyfun » Wed Oct 19, 2016 12:38 pm

Oh boy!

Slammer buck and great job on the recovery.

You don't have to be the best, just do your best.
olivertractor
Facebook: what's facebook

Unread postby olivertractor » Wed Oct 19, 2016 12:41 pm

Wow nice, congrats! :dance:
"Sad state of affairs when I'm voting for who's gonna hurt us less, than who's gonna help us more"
Haus86

Unread postby Haus86 » Wed Oct 19, 2016 12:43 pm

You are a beast! Congrats!
whitetailassasin

Unread postby whitetailassasin » Wed Oct 19, 2016 12:46 pm

Your a legit killer! What a buck!! Congrats again man

cbigbear
Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/mobilehuntinggear/

Unread postby cbigbear » Wed Oct 19, 2016 12:49 pm

The double throat patch is going to make a beautiful mount, well guess the 170"s of antlers are nice too!!!!

purebowhunting
500 Club

Unread postby purebowhunting » Wed Oct 19, 2016 12:51 pm

Awesome hunt, great buck! Congratulations!
Uncle Lou

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Wed Oct 19, 2016 12:55 pm

Wow, what a wide monster. Congrats
Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com

• Advertisement

Return to “Kill Zone”