Ubl's 2016 WI Archery Buck Tag - Filled

Share and Showcase your hunting success stories.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Sam Ubl
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.carbontv.com/shows/chase-na ... red-slider

Ubl's 2016 WI Archery Buck Tag - Filled

Unread postby Sam Ubl » Tue Oct 18, 2016 4:34 am

Looking back on the last thirty days, I’ve learned a lot. The old adage rings true, the greatest lessons in life are those learned through personal experience. Lace up weathered boots, hike back into the thick nasty stuff the rest of the world avoids and face trial, then fail, and do it all over again the very next chance you get.

War waged with mosquitos have exposed a losing pattern this season, I’m a quart low, yet still kicking. Cue the cinematic orchestra soundtrack as I reminisce on a branch to the face, a stick in the eye, tripping in the dark, and water over my boots.

As with any start to the archery season here in Wisconsin, I focused on the food at the start and transitioned closer to beds after October rolled around.
After several visits to farms and swamps, I had yet to see good buck. I managed to get over a big doe in the first week, and after that I had more doe encounters, but it was a buck I was after.

Beans stayed green in the lowland fields so I concentrated on them in the beginning, but as they yellowed I slid closer to the corn. It was an off year on the acorn cycle, so I avoided the denser woods I’ve typically focused on in September. It gets dark quickly when you’re under the foliage canopy on an early season evening, so it was a nice break to watch the sun setting on several of those evenings hunting field edges.

As the deer began growing heavier coats, the daylight movement slowed dramatically. I suppose I wouldn’t wear a heavy jacket in the summer, and with daytime temperatures in the upper sixties and low seventies throughout the first week of October it was no wonder the deer stayed camped out until cooler nighttime air made travel comfortable.
I executed several close-quarter bed hunts that first week of October, but only a lone doe and one small freak buck would happen by.

On October 14, I revisited a farm with a plush green field of oats and alfalfa. I had a south wind, perfect for this particular farm, and snuck in for an after-work sit for the evening.
A lone doe move through early, and a yearling nub buck paid a visit shortly after. The yearling hung around for some time, offering some entertainment to keep me focused before a bigger buck entered the field eighty-five yards out. I fixed the camera on him and snapped a cellphone picture of the camera display to share with my wife. We had found the two year old’s shed antler set thirty yards from where he stood and I texted my wife the photo to share the encounter.

Eventually a bigger bodied buck with a darker coat emerged from a bottom and began to browse alongside the lesser buck. Soon a third buck had joined the dinner party and I tried remembering the last time I saw a bachelor group of bucks together this late in the season – I could not think of such an encounter.

As the bucks moved in closer I recognized the width of the largest of the trio and I was hooked. I knew if he gave me an opportunity I would send an arrow. Once the primordial kill mode switch was turned on, there was no turning it off.

The buck closed the distance into comfortable shooting distance and I ranged him one last time before setting my pin and drawing back. The arrows flight was traced by an illuminated knock and my aim was true.

The buck spun, his chest fell low and he used the momentum of his hind legs to cover thirty-five yards before the sound of silence overcame the night. My legs let loose and that amazing feeling of relief overcame my body. If I ever lose the feeling I get when I send an arrow towards a deer I’ll quit hunting.
So on to the next chapter of my 2016 season as I count down the days before heading back to Minnesota for a second season filming with Whitetail Adrenaline chasing public land whitetails on the ground with my bow.

Chase Nation | Reality Hunting TV | http://www.chasenation.tv
Watch Chase Nation on Carbon TV: https://www.carbontv.com/shows/chase-na ... red-slider
Huntmore | http://www.huntmore.io/
stash59

Re: Ubl's 2016 WI Archery Buck Tag - Filled

Unread postby stash59 » Tue Oct 18, 2016 4:41 am

8-) 8-) 8-) :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Tue Oct 18, 2016 4:42 am

Congrats Sam :clap:
hammer

Unread postby hammer » Tue Oct 18, 2016 4:45 am

Awesome buck Sam! It's been fun following along this season. Congrats on a well deserved buck!

[ Post made via Android ] Image
BowHusker

Unread postby BowHusker » Tue Oct 18, 2016 4:46 am

Awesome, congrats!

AKA "The Lone Wolf Assassin"
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Tue Oct 18, 2016 4:48 am

Congrats Sam! Great story and buck! :clap: :clap: