A nice start:

Share and Showcase your hunting success stories.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

whitetailassasin

A nice start:

Unread postby whitetailassasin » Tue Oct 18, 2016 2:39 am

First of all id like to say thank you to my dad, he made the haul out, the hunt, the conversation and the experience mean that much more to me. Although this isn't my biggest buck, it's one of the most memorable just because of the experience with my dad.

The story of this buck comes from an area we have a lot of history in, but over the past few seasons we just haven't seen the shooters here. A lot of 1.5 old bucks seem to have occupied this area, and we believe it's because of the super high pressure. We know the bedding and travel routes and it's just getting a good wind and hoping the pressure has been limited.

Dad hunted this area twice this year and both times he's hunted it, he's seen bucks and does. One shooter, and the rest smaller bucks. We classify a shooter as either 3.5 years or older or the best buck your area has to offer. I'm sending the teeth in because both of us think he maybe a 3.5 year old judging his body size, but maybe 2.5.

So dad calls me up Sunday about noon and says hey we need to go to this area, I'm seeing deer there and I think our odds would be best if we tag team this spot. So I said I'm game and all in, asked him were he wanted to hunt it and how would our best aproach be. We had a long walk(2 miles or so) so we had lots of time to discuss and strategize. He opted to go down to the west side and I went down to the east side. All was fairly quiet until about 6:30 when two yearling does came hauling into the tails from the woods transition I was sitting. I grabbed my bow and figured must be a buck hot on there tail. Nothing. So I sat there watching and looking and decided I'd hit the grunt a couple times. About 25 mins later I barley hear walking. I was literally packing up my camera and getting ready to descend( learning with video hunting that my video quality is a lot less with low light and therefore I pack up a little earlier than normal) when I see this buck at 30 yards and approaching me head on coming down the edge of the transition line. He was feeding off neddles, and headed to a big ag field behind me. I let him get to about 8 steps and settled the pin right between his shoulders just an inch or two back from the bones. Squeezed the trigger and WHACK!! Hit right where I was aiming and all I could see was my fletching hanging out. He took off like a dog and ran into some deadfall and I heard him do a half circle and pile up in the tails. I waited for about 25 mins then called dad. At first he didn't pick up so I figured he was packing up and getting down. Next thing I know my phones ringing, and he's like what's up? I say you know what's up, I don't call you at last light for nothing :lol: he laughs and he's like you shot that buck didn't you? I'm respond I'm not sure you'll have to identify him.

Because of the high placement, and the exit wound pulling guts out the blood was sparse, but knowing what I observed and what I heard, helped us get right to him. As soon as he saw him he's like "yup that's him" we fist bumped and celebrated for a couple minutes and took some hero shots. Then the real work began. Needless to say it was 2 am before I got home and I'm back at work today :lol: I'm dragging and my body is sore, but I'm super happy. Going to euro mount him and will add those photos when he's done.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

MOBIGBUCKS

Re: A nice start:

Unread postby MOBIGBUCKS » Tue Oct 18, 2016 2:46 am

Awesome man. Congrats to both of you on a well planned hunt! :D
vermonthunter16
500 Club

Unread postby vermonthunter16 » Tue Oct 18, 2016 2:46 am

Awesome! The best part of hunting for me is the memories made with family.
-Rick
Bigburner

Unread postby Bigburner » Tue Oct 18, 2016 2:51 am

Sweet! :clap:
Montani Semper Liberi
Instagram @formationoutdoors
hunter_mike

Unread postby hunter_mike » Tue Oct 18, 2016 2:51 am

:clap: :clap: CONGRATS!!!!
“The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
bigwoodshuntn

Unread postby bigwoodshuntn » Tue Oct 18, 2016 2:53 am

Good job! It's always nice to have dad along on a hunt! Congrats!

Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Tue Oct 18, 2016 2:55 am

Congrats WA!! :clap: :clap:

Sounds like a loooooong night :lol:

[ Post made via Android ] Image
freezeAR
500 Club

Unread postby freezeAR » Tue Oct 18, 2016 2:56 am

Good job guys. I always like your stories with your dad. I used to hunt with mine before he passed and I must say I live a little vicariously through your stories with your dad. Keep up the good work.
whitetailassasin

Unread postby whitetailassasin » Tue Oct 18, 2016 2:57 am

My father has RA and lupus, the whole way back he talked about doing this for as long as his body would allow but he knows his days are numbered. Made me appreciate it all the more.

john1984

Unread postby john1984 » Tue Oct 18, 2016 2:57 am

Congratulations

isitseasonyet?
500 Club

Unread postby isitseasonyet? » Tue Oct 18, 2016 3:01 am

What a cool story and buck, congrats!

Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Tue Oct 18, 2016 3:02 am

Congrats. Hunts with Dad are special and glad you are making it a point to enjoy them to their fullest. :clap:

Kraftd
500 Club

Unread postby Kraftd » Tue Oct 18, 2016 3:05 am

Awesome! Congrats!
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Tue Oct 18, 2016 3:07 am

Congrats on a great buck & story to go with it! That's one you'll always remember!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
justdirtyfun
500 Club

Unread postby justdirtyfun » Tue Oct 18, 2016 3:07 am

Those memories will be priceless as the years go by. Way to go after them.

You don't have to be the best, just do your best.

• Advertisement

Return to “Kill Zone”