Doubled down

Share and Showcase your hunting success stories.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

cameron

Doubled down

Unread postby cameron » Mon Oct 10, 2016 10:34 am

Well I wish that this was some elaborate hunt where I sat up 50 yards from a buck bed and all but it simply didn't happen that way. 95% of the time I hunt public land, however last year I gained access to a 40 acre property. No one else hunts it but the properties around it do get pounded. I don't go in there unless the wind is right and really only planned on rut hunting it this year since there is a group of does that stay there and I haven't found any buck beds. Well I had a NE wind yesterday and cool Temps so I decided to give it a shot. I'm set up in a great spot, I'm at the top of a cut so the deer funnel thru there but there is also a small thicket to my north and a small thicket to my south. So I'm in the tree, a group of does come in from the thicket to the north so I decide that I'm going to film them so that I can have some video footage for this year. While I'm filming, the biggest doe looks behind her back into the thicket where she came from. My first thought was it's got to be a buck. The canopy is still so thick that I could only see about 30 yards but caught some movement in the thicket. Not 10 seconds later I hear a light grunt and a wide 8 that I had on camera over the summer popped out. I had passed this buck last year and had already made up my mind to shoot him if he gave me a chance. He works his way toward the doe as she kept walking past me. I draw back but he never stopped for a shot, I stopped him behind my stand and at 10 yards. I shoot and hear the smack from the arrow. He takes off and I hear him crash and is gurgling blood. My first thought was oh crap, is he down or did I make a bad shot and he's just hurt? So I nock another arrow just to have one ready. As I'm shaking and trying to catch my breath I look back into the thicket and I see more movement! I grab my bow just incase it was a buck. Sure enough, out steps a 10 point that I had on camera over the summer. He stepped out and started eating acorns on the same trail that the does and buck were on. He gets to 20 yards with his head down, I draw my bow, settle the pin a squeeze off the shot. I watch my arrow hit right behind the shoulder for a heart shot. He takes off the opposite way of the other buck. At this point I'm about to fall out of the tree and can't believe what just happened! I was in total shock that all of that just happened and that I was actually able to get a shot off on 2 bucks within probably a minute of each other! I waited an hour and got down real quiet just incase the first buck wasn't dead. I go to find my arrow and I cant, there's no blood or hair. I look about 10 yards up the trail and I see my fletchs and part of my arrow. No blood on the shaft. I was praying that I didn't just injure this buck. I go to where I shot the other buck and can't find my arrow either but tons of blood. I decided to back out and take my stuff to the truck. While I was there I decided to check my camera that I hadn't checked since the 3rd week in August. While I'm grabbing my camera, I look down the ridge and see something white. Is that a piece of trash or a white belly?! I take a few steps and can tell that it's my buck! I call a buddy of mine and tell him to meet me there to help drag out at least one buck! I waited until he got there to walk up on the buck and couldn't have been more happy with it! It may not have been the "beast style" hunt that I am hoping to experience some day but it is definitely one that I won't forget anytime soon.

The wide 8 that I shot first.

The heavy 10 that I shot second.

Here they are together back at the truck

[ Post made via Android ] Image

SamPotter
500 Club

Re: Doubled down

Unread postby SamPotter » Mon Oct 10, 2016 10:48 am

Way to go! Expect the unexpected!

Beauford

Unread postby Beauford » Mon Oct 10, 2016 10:49 am

Wow what a hunt. Not many hunters have had a double in one sit bow hunting even harder. Two shots in 1 minute unbelievable - Awsome congrats on your hunt & your bucks. Now what you going to do rest of season?

cameron

Unread postby cameron » Mon Oct 10, 2016 10:52 am

Beauford wrote:Wow what a hunt. Not many hunters have had a double in one sit bow hunting even harder. Two shots in 1 minute unbelievable - Awsome congrats on your hunt & your bucks. Now what you going to do rest of season?

Thanks! Well here in Arkansas we get 2 bucks and 4 does. I'm going to try to tag out on does as well and donate the meat to Hunters helping the Hungry.

Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Mon Oct 10, 2016 11:00 am

I would say that's a pretty good day. Congrats. 8-)

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
wickedbruiser
500 Club

Unread postby wickedbruiser » Mon Oct 10, 2016 11:03 am

Can't beat that. Congrats on an awesome hunt!

Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Mon Oct 10, 2016 11:09 am

That'll be a tough day to beat :clap: :clap:

Awesome hunt!!

john1984

Unread postby john1984 » Mon Oct 10, 2016 11:14 am

Now give the bucks a break for goodness sake. Congrats on the double

Kokes
500 Club

Unread postby Kokes » Mon Oct 10, 2016 11:18 am

Wow just awesome. Congrats.

Huntoholic
Facebook: Garrickpfromthe603@yahoo.com

Unread postby Huntoholic » Mon Oct 10, 2016 11:35 am

Congratulations! That's a crazy story, you should go buy a lottery ticket lol

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
cameron

Unread postby cameron » Mon Oct 10, 2016 11:53 am

Huntoholic wrote:Congratulations! That's a crazy story, you should go buy a lottery ticket lol

[ Post made via iPad ] Image

Haha I had a few people tell me that. A buddy of mines dad also told me to go down to Fayetteville and rub all of the Razorback players heads before the Bama game...I guess I should've given it a try lol

headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Mon Oct 10, 2016 12:13 pm

Couple of great bucks!!! It doesn't always have to be hard or beast style. 8-)
mainebowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby mainebowhunter » Mon Oct 10, 2016 12:27 pm

Wow...thats 2 seasons worth of bucks in 1 minute! Congrats!
cbay
500 Club

Unread postby cbay » Mon Oct 10, 2016 12:44 pm

Wow you had one heck of a great day! Congrats on two beautiful bucks!
Scout.  Learn.  Hunt
BowHusker

Unread postby BowHusker » Mon Oct 10, 2016 12:51 pm

Wow, that is incredible! I have always dreamed of this scenario, congrats!

AKA "The Lone Wolf Assassin"

• Advertisement

Return to “Kill Zone”