Backstraps in September....Oh Yeah!!

Share and Showcase your hunting success stories.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

whitetaildave24

Backstraps in September....Oh Yeah!!

Unread postby whitetaildave24 » Sun Sep 25, 2016 2:45 pm

I don't post much at all here, but read a lot and trying to learn the style of all you beasts. This isn't a beast mode kill, but it is the best kill I've ever been a part of. My son killed his first deer this morning during the first day of Indiana's youth season and it turned out to be a piebald spike buck. Here's the long story.

So my son has hunted the previous two youth seasons with the crossbow and he really wasn't into it. He went with me a few times as well during archery and firearms season. This year he decided he finally wanted to use his gun. I bought him a .50 caliber Rossi Miniloader about 3 years ago and that was the gun of choice. He shot it last weekend and was dead on and we were ready to go. We've had a trail cam out at the property we bought in January for about a month now. It was at the very back of our property along a creek bed. We had plenty of pictures of a couple does, fawns and a button buck. Nothing with real antlers, but since he's never killed anything any deer would do. We got to the blind this morning about 6:30. I had to still get the orange on all the sides and I had that done in about 5 minutes. We had the blind overlooking the creek bottom that had the pics from the trail cam. It is about a 15 yard drop from the blind to the creek bottom, but that's where we expected the deer to be. Nothing was moving in the creek bottom for while, but my son decided to just look to the back of us out his side window and when he turned back to me his eyes were the size of half dollars. He told me there was a deer right behind the blind that neither of us had heard come down the hillside. He was all excited. I told him to just keep an eye on it and figure out where it was moving so we could set up. Finally it started moving towards my side of the blind and we were getting all prepared to take a shot out my side window. He was kneeling in my corner of the blind right in front of me with the muzzleloader facing to the back of the blind out my side window. He proceeds to say, "oh there's two, no there's three of them!" I said do you have one in the scope and he said yes and was ready to shoot but I had to tell him to wait because the edge of the barrel was aiming into the blind. Then he really started to get excited and moving all over trying to get into position to get a shot. At one point he said a deer was looking right at him and that's when I heard them head back the way they came from. I had to literally tell him to calm down, breathe, and everything will work out. He moved back to his side of the blind, out his side window, and I got the shooting stick set up over there for him. I can't see what's going on at this point because the back of the blind is closed and I can't see backwards out of his side window. He said one is just standing there and he had one in the scope. I finally had to get out of my chair and stand beside him to see what was going on. He cocked the hammer back, clicked the safety off, and I told him if he had a clear shot to take it. The deer was standing nearly broadside, holding still, just looking back towards the blind. He took a few seconds and pulled the trigger. Once the smoked cleared the deer had dropped straight to the ground. We were absolutely ecstatic and going crazy. Then the deer decided he wasn't dead yet and reared up and jumped straight down the hill about 30 yards straight down. He tried to get a second shot in him, but missed on that one with all the excitement. By the time the third shot was reloaded the deer was not moving and we presumed he was dead. Meanwhile one of the other deer had turned around and was walking back towards us and Eli was thinking he could get a second one for the morning. I made him wait so I could look at the deer and it was then I saw the deer had one antler and he had to let that one walk. We then walked down the hill to his deer only to find to our amazement it was a piebald. We knew it was a buck, but had no idea it had white patches all over it. I guarantee this is a day I will never forget and it will take me a good while to get off this high. I can't be more proud of my son for holding it all together and making the first shot count. On a sidenote, it was pretty wild because my son had asked earlier in the morning about if a white deer comes by, and then the one he shoots is piebald and we had no idea this deer was around. Enough of the long story, but I could talk about this for days. Deer is finally all packaged up, in the freezer, and the hide and head are also in there with us waiting to decide what to do with it. I'm thinking euro mount and getting the hide tanned. Here's a few of the pics.

john1984

Re: Backstraps in September....Oh Yeah!!

Unread postby john1984 » Sun Sep 25, 2016 3:03 pm

Wow!!! Good story. Congrats to you and your son

[ Post made via Android ] Image
JÄGER

Unread postby JÄGER » Sun Sep 25, 2016 3:18 pm

What a great story. Your son looks so happy, im sure he will never forget that moment.

Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Sun Sep 25, 2016 3:30 pm

Awesome trophy! !! :clap: :clap: :clap:

I bet he's hooked on the adrenalin rush :lol:

Huntoholic
Facebook: Garrickpfromthe603@yahoo.com

Unread postby Huntoholic » Sun Sep 25, 2016 3:33 pm

Awesome story and congratulations to you both, that is one cool looking buck!

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
rbuckleyjr1
500 Club

Unread postby rbuckleyjr1 » Sun Sep 25, 2016 3:34 pm

Congrats!!
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Sun Sep 25, 2016 3:59 pm

Now that is awesome! Great story and congrats to you both.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Sun Sep 25, 2016 4:10 pm

:clap: :clap: :clap:
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sun Sep 25, 2016 4:40 pm

8-)

tbunao
500 Club

Unread postby tbunao » Sun Sep 25, 2016 11:01 pm

Great story!! Congrats!!

Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Sun Sep 25, 2016 11:16 pm

Bravo, to you and your son!! 8-)

Tufrthnails
500 Club

Unread postby Tufrthnails » Sun Sep 25, 2016 11:20 pm

Congrats on cool Piebald kill!
Tuf- The below average hunting beast
rizzo999
500 Club

Unread postby rizzo999 » Sun Sep 25, 2016 11:22 pm

Great story. You've got to be proud. Congrats to your boy!

Motivated
500 Club

Unread postby Motivated » Sun Sep 25, 2016 11:31 pm

Congratulations to you both! Neat buck!

Work hard, stay humble, be kind.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sun Sep 25, 2016 11:32 pm

:clap:

• Advertisement

Return to “Kill Zone”