Public land 10

Share and Showcase your hunting success stories.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Bowhunter4life
500 Club

Public land 10

Unread postby Bowhunter4life » Mon Dec 07, 2015 1:39 pm

This has definitely been one of those season I always wished for. I have hunted harder and spent more time in the tree than I have in many years and definitely have the wife to thank for that. This hunt all started last Saturday when I went out on some public ground that I have seen bucks bed on after the gun pressure puts them on lockdown. It's a wetland with a pretty decent creek that wraps around it. The deer bed up on the islands or high spots out in it. Some spots are pretty deep too. As I went in last Saturday and was setting up I had pretty much just got settled into the stand when I was caught off guard by a buck slipping by me crossing the creek. I set up there cause it was a good crossing for them beings the water wasn't quit as deep. He slipped by me roughly 35 yards and I believe he busted me setting up. Well I blew that hunt but now I knew where this buck was bedding. I didn't have enough time to get out there any through the week so I planned my hunt for the following Saturday. The wind was a little different but still out of the east. Northeast when I jumped him. Figured that he would be right back in the same bed so I set up accordingly. It literally took me a good hour or more to travel the last hundred yards because of the crunch leaves. I really figured I was gonna knock him out of there going in cause winds were light and it was so loud no matter how softly I stepped. Used some squirrels playing on the hillside to my advantage and tried my best to sound like them when I would move. Once I got to the tree and was set up I really was t too confident just because of the crunchy leaves I had to travel through to get in there. Well to my surprise he was there but bedded a little differently this time. There was a patch of brush between me and him but this buck was only 60 yards away from me. When he got up and moved in front of me I was shocked!! He was coming in but the light swirling winds were push g my scent in the directing he was heading. Had to wait for the opening and once he hit it he locked up. I was drawn back already those and once I found my spot I touched the trigger. At the same time the buck didn't like what he smelt and wheeled around right as I shot causing my arrow to hit him back. I was sick to say the least. He reacted funny almost like he was gonna go down but kept his footing and jumped the creek and up a steep bank out of sight. I got down and wanted to go see the area I shot him. Saw several beds he was using in this spot too. Found some blood and followed it across the creek just to mark a spot to pick back up on later. Was not a lot of blood and what I was finding was real watery. I heard a deer take off and could just see the tail in the darkness so I wasn't sure if it was him or not. Backed out of there and came home to replay it all in my mind. Unsure of what to do and posted on the site even asking for some advice I decided to go after him. Thanks James by the way for the advice. Went back out and was not finding a lot of blood but some here and there. He crossed a tall grass field which really made it tough. I was able to find some of his running tracks though and once I crossed the field I found him piled up on the otherside as he tried to jump a fence which would of lead him into private ground. Luckily for me he just didn't have it in him to get all the way across. My arrow just missed the tail bone hitting the back ham sliding into the intestines and caught liver. Shot was at 4:30 roughly and I found him sometime around 10 or 11. Not the way I wanted it to go down putting a bad hit on him but one of those things that happens and nothing we can do about it. Just glad I was able to recover the deer and put my last tag of the season on him. This buck was ran down from the rut pretty bad.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

BigHunt

Re: Public land 10

Unread postby BigHunt » Mon Dec 07, 2015 1:45 pm

:clap:
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
wiscbowhntr
500 Club

Unread postby wiscbowhntr » Mon Dec 07, 2015 1:48 pm

Congrats on the late season buck!

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Bigdaddy-yoyo
500 Club

Unread postby Bigdaddy-yoyo » Mon Dec 07, 2015 1:53 pm

sweet. Glad you were able to find him
SRWbowhunter

Unread postby SRWbowhunter » Mon Dec 07, 2015 1:59 pm

Congrats! How many is that this season?

Hodag Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Hodag Hunter » Mon Dec 07, 2015 2:01 pm

Congrats on another one. Season to remember and you're earning it.
hunter_mike

Unread postby hunter_mike » Mon Dec 07, 2015 2:08 pm

Congrats! :clap:
“The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
DeerDylan
500 Club

Unread postby DeerDylan » Mon Dec 07, 2015 2:25 pm

What a season! Congrats man

cbay
500 Club

Unread postby cbay » Mon Dec 07, 2015 2:27 pm

Congrats!
Scout.  Learn.  Hunt
Motivated
500 Club

Unread postby Motivated » Mon Dec 07, 2015 2:28 pm

Congratulations! Amazing season with your fifth public land bow buck!

Okay now, people are getting suspicious that you are on performance enhancing drugs. Fess up Mark McGuire, and pee in the cup! :mrgreen:

Just kidding buddy! I know you have worked very hard to get where you are now. Serious respect.

Work hard, stay humble, be kind.
mheichelbech
500 Club
Facebook: mheichelbech@gmail.com

Unread postby mheichelbech » Mon Dec 07, 2015 2:30 pm

Great buck!

"One of the chief attractions of the life of the wilderness is its rugged and stalwart democracy; there every man stands for what he actually is and can show himself to be." — Theodore Roosevelt, 1893
PredatorTC
500 Club

Unread postby PredatorTC » Mon Dec 07, 2015 2:44 pm

Wow! This is awesome! I love how every buck that you shoot is a target buck! You have skill not luck! Out of curiosity, what do you do for work or what kind of hours do you have that allow you to get out hunting when you need to?
Buckshot20
500 Club

Unread postby Buckshot20 » Mon Dec 07, 2015 2:44 pm

Awesome deer, awesome year. Congrats

BigCedarJack
500 Club

Unread postby BigCedarJack » Mon Dec 07, 2015 2:52 pm

congrats!
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Mon Dec 07, 2015 2:57 pm

Outstanding Bh4life! ! :clap: :clap:

You are one of the top notch hunters on this site. Well done.

• Advertisement

Return to “Kill Zone”