2015 and the lessons learned....

Share and Showcase your hunting success stories.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

G3s
500 Club

2015 and the lessons learned....

Unread postby G3s » Tue Nov 24, 2015 11:04 am

This season started off unreal from the get go with scouting and cameras showing great deer, and lots of great targets for this fall.

I started off this year with the intention of hunting public land exclusively here at home. Throughout August and September i did a ton of camera work, a lo of glassing, and a LOT of boot work to find what I thought would be my best bets for the season opener.I had one spot that kept my interest very high due to the tracks I was seeing ans where I was finding the beds. I knew I could access a nice bench stand I had found without spooking many/any deer. That is where I decided to spend my opening day of bow season. I got set up that morning a little later than I wanted to but got a nice hunt in none the less, at about 4 pm I shot a coyote that was trying to sneak through and get some hunting in of his own...needless to say he didnt make it. Around 6 o'clock that evening the deer started to move and I had a decent show of 4 bucks that night, the last of which I decided to shoot. I am pretty sure he is 4 1/2 and I knew he would be a great start to the season. He stopped broadside at about 17 yards and took a Rage Hypodermic to the lungs. He made it about 60 yards and piled up.

I hunted a few more days during the early part of October but didnt really put to much effort into hunting and spent most of my time scouting, waiting for the later part of the month to get serious about finding another mature target to focus on.
That is when this season and my life took a big turn that left me with a new feeling and one I did not care for one bit.
It was 7 am October 17th when my phone rand and on the other end was my step dad and he was obviously troubled...he struggled to get the words out that I can hear this second as clear as I heard them that morning, He said, "I dont really know how to say this but your mother has passed away, I'm sorry but she is gone"

That moment seem to stand still for quite some time. it took me a week or 2 before I really could force myself to try hunting again. I just couldnt seem to force myself to go, mostly because every night after hunting my Mom was the first person I would call to tell about the hunt and to let her know I made it down and to my truck safely...she was such a worry wart. For 20 years...she was always the first person I talked to every night after finishing my hunt.
Eventually I did force myself out and got back into hunting and it really helped to get my thoughts together. Sometimes time spent alone is the best way to really get your mind to come to grips with big change.

When we got home I decided to give a new spot a try that was deep in the timber where I figured little pressure had been put on the deer. I put my stand and pack on my back and off I went. I found some great sign, I saw some great territory, I found exactly where I wanted to sit and watch for the rest of the day. I was on a steep but fairly short ridge side that was one of five fingers that formed a star shaped ravine hub that was littered with rubs and scrapes. I set up and climbed the tree and settled in for the hunt...it was 11:15 am. I sat alone, without any animal movement until 4 pm when a little spike came down the valley from the south scraping and rubbing his fool head off and I thought I had screwed up on judging the sign and this little turd was the one creating all of it. I sat anyway because its November and you never know what can happen. shortly after the spike had wandered off in search of trouble I caught movement coming down the same valley. I put my Binos on him and saw a good size body and an ok set of antlers. I had a good 15 minutes to watch him and by the time he got in close I decided that if he got under 10 yards I was going to take him. He began to make a scrape 6 yards to my right and left himself wide open to a lung shot. I took that shot and the Rage Hypo swallowed him up, he made it about 40 yards and piled up. Now the fun begins...I am alone, a slid 3/4 mile in the timber where it is not flat at all...ridge/ravine...over and over until the final 300 yards to the road.
It took me a good while to drag that deer out of the timber. I have never had such a bad/good/great/terrible drag in all of my time
I went through everything on that drag. I laughed, I cried, I sweated, I froze, I got scratches and bruises....and I finally got PEACE.
In the few hours I spent in those woods that night I thought long and hard about my Mom, the time we spent together, the time we wont get to spend together now. In the end, I made it to the road and got the deer loaded into my truck. On the drive home I picked up my phone and dialed my moms cell phone...one last time I wanted to hear her voice...at the end of her greeting I left a message as best I could that I know she would want to hear....I simply said Mom, I made it safe and sound back to my truck. I killed a decent 8 point tonight. I love you! I hung up the phone, drove the last 15 miles home in silence and called it a season.

[b][glow=red]What I take away from this season is that seasons come and seasons go. We never know when it is the last time we get to say Hi, or I love you, or good bye to our loved ones...dont let those moments slip by. Enjoy life, enjoy your family, respect the time we are given...it comes to a halt way to quickly.
R.I.P Mom (Vicki Paulus) 6/24/1954-10/17/2015[/glow]
[/b]

wiscbowhntr
500 Club

Re: 2015 and the lessons learned....

Unread postby wiscbowhntr » Tue Nov 24, 2015 11:20 am

Sorry for your loss.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Tue Nov 24, 2015 11:48 am

My deepest condolences - God Bless...

Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Tue Nov 24, 2015 12:02 pm

Losing a parent is extremely difficult. A day won't pass that you don't think of her, I speak from experience. Sorry for your loss.

http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
cbay
500 Club

Unread postby cbay » Tue Nov 24, 2015 12:02 pm

May peace and comfort be with you and your family.
Scout.  Learn.  Hunt
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Tue Nov 24, 2015 12:12 pm

Very sorry to hear of your moms passing.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Uncle Lou

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Tue Nov 24, 2015 12:49 pm

Tim, that was a good tribute and probably hard to write. I wish you the best during your time of mourning, RIP Vicki. God Bless you and your family
Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Tue Nov 24, 2015 1:32 pm

Very sorry for your loss, prayers sent for you and your family.

hunter_mike

Unread postby hunter_mike » Tue Nov 24, 2015 1:42 pm

Sorry for your loss and glad to hear you found your peace.
“The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Tue Nov 24, 2015 1:52 pm

Good post Tim. So sorry for your loss.

It is tough for sure, but like you I agree time alone to get your mind wrapped around things help. I lost my Dad the exact same morning as you lost your Mother. Stay strong and continue to heal, may God Bless
Kraftd
500 Club

Unread postby Kraftd » Tue Nov 24, 2015 1:53 pm

Very sorry for your loss. Great post, thanks.
olivertractor
Facebook: what's facebook

Unread postby olivertractor » Tue Nov 24, 2015 2:04 pm

Sorry for your loss

"Sad state of affairs when I'm voting for who's gonna hurt us less, than who's gonna help us more"
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Tue Nov 24, 2015 2:05 pm

It's amazing how therapeutic time in the outdoors can be!! That hunt. That buck will have more meaning than any other you ever kill.

Glad you found some solace!!

RIP Vicky Paulus.
Ridgerunner7
500 Club

Unread postby Ridgerunner7 » Tue Nov 24, 2015 2:10 pm

Sorry buddy. Hard stuff .

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Arrowbender
500 Club

Unread postby Arrowbender » Tue Nov 24, 2015 2:59 pm