Hard eight

Share and Showcase your hunting success stories.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Jackson Marsh

Hard eight

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Sat Nov 14, 2015 8:58 am

[align=center]Hard Eight[/align]t

I haven’t killed a bow buck in the marsh since 2012 and was getting a little irritated with this fact :lol: . Opening day of bow I saw one decent buck and two weeks later my daughter was able to kill him at a distance of 8 yards. :dance:

viewtopic.php?f=287&t=32200

My rut hunting vacation started on November 1st and I was ready to hunt! I hiked in to an island about 1.5 miles in, as I was setting up I had another hunter come in on me :doh: . He was probably another Beast :lol: . I sat all day and didn’t see a deer. I bounced around over the next few days trying to figure out where the deer were moving and get on some cruising bucks. One particular spot I needed a South wind to hunt, I hunted it on November 4th and did not see a deer. This particular stand I’ve never NOT seen a buck while hunting it during the rut :angry-banghead: .
I hunted this stand again on November 8th and had two small 2 year old bucks come through, one in the morning and another just before close. The stand is on the downwind edge of a massive bedding area, it should and has been awesome. I was getting frustrated.

I had another stand location to the South of here, but had been putting off hunting it because I needed to burn (walk through) a good chunk of prime bedding to get to it. November 10th was a cold frosty foggy morning. I decided to dive right into the bedding area and let the chips fall where they may.

While hanging the stand I had a deer come through, couldn’t see it in the cattails but it must have heard or spotted me. It busted out. That afternoon I had a nice 10 pointer come in, I had no shot initially, but he offered up a shot at what I thought was 30 yards (I had ranged various trails through the cattails) and promptly shot under him :doh: . I screwed up what trail he was on and blew the shot. This spot has multiple trails coming through the cattails, and without trees and very few bushes for reference points I had blown my only opportunity for the year :violin: .

November 11th an E/SE wind was predicted and I decided to hunt the same stand. I walked in with the wind in my face to only burn one area (wind direction and access trail the same). Shortly after setting up I had a lone (unseen) deer come in from the West and bed down maybe 80 yards away. Shortly after this another deer (again unseen) came in from the East and bedded down 60 yards to the East. Things were looking up! At 9:47 I heard crunching in the cattails and stood up. The buck came in from the South and offered up a 25 yard shot. I heard the “thunk” and watch him take off through the cattails. I had a difficult time at first finding blood, I was looking on the trails, but when he initially bolted he was leaping over the cattails/grass (not on a trail) so the blood was on tops of them. Eventually he got on a trail and blood was relatively easy to find. In total he covered about 200 yards (I hit him back). Buck down!! :dance:

Kill tree

Purple dot stand sites.
Orange buck path
Blue small patch of trees

Now the fun begins :lol: :lol: . I was way back in and knew it would be a chore getting him out. I dragged for 5 hours that day and covered a total (round trips) of 8.78 miles, with lightning and wind picking up and rain on the way (and I was tired :lol: ) I decided to leave him overnight and finish up in the morning.

Overall it was a very satisfying season, between my daughter and I we had two buck tags to fill and filled them both on a public marsh. :dance: :dance:

Inserting my daughter's buck in here is "dirty pool" :mrgreen:

keb
500 Club

Re: Hard eight

Unread postby keb » Sat Nov 14, 2015 9:02 am

U the man!! Congrats

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Sat Nov 14, 2015 9:03 am

Congrats man! Not many would ever hunt that hard given the circumstances.... :clap:
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
john1984

Unread postby john1984 » Sat Nov 14, 2015 9:06 am

congrats JM! That's a BBB (BIG BEAUTIFUL BUCK). I enjoy reading your live from the stand posts, you had a great season, good job

[ Post made via Android ] Image
isitseasonyet?
500 Club

Unread postby isitseasonyet? » Sat Nov 14, 2015 9:20 am

Great buck and story!

BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Sat Nov 14, 2015 9:21 am

Great buck and awesome story!

P&YBuck1
500 Club

Unread postby P&YBuck1 » Sat Nov 14, 2015 9:24 am

Two dandy bucks, congratulations to you and your daughter!

Great to see the time you took with your daughter first, that will be forever a great memory!

Thanks for sharing your story and pictures.
justin84
500 Club

Unread postby justin84 » Sat Nov 14, 2015 9:24 am

Congrats to both of you!
Hodag Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Hodag Hunter » Sat Nov 14, 2015 9:25 am

Congrats on a great buck and determination to get him. My hats off to you.

Jeff G
500 Club

Unread postby Jeff G » Sat Nov 14, 2015 9:28 am

Congrats!!!! hard work pays off!!! :D :clap: :dance:
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Sat Nov 14, 2015 9:34 am

:mrgreen:
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sat Nov 14, 2015 9:39 am

I respect your work ethic Neil and very happy to see you tag that buck. It made my day when I read you bloodied an arrow. 8-)

You earned that one more than most will ever even comprehend. Great job on a great marsh buck. :clap:

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Crazinamatese

Unread postby Crazinamatese » Sat Nov 14, 2015 9:40 am

Nice one JM!
The cave you fear hides the treasure you seek!!!
oldrank

Unread postby oldrank » Sat Nov 14, 2015 9:51 am

Great job JM. I was really pulling for ya to knock down a good one. I dont know ya personally but from what I take from the small window we see on The Beast u seem like a stand up guy n one thats very deserving of a great buck like that. Congrats to u and your daughter on a great season !!!!

muddy

Unread postby muddy » Sat Nov 14, 2015 9:56 am

Congrats

http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz

• Advertisement

Return to “Kill Zone”