10-21-2015 Michigan Public

Share and Showcase your hunting success stories.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Groundpounder

10-21-2015 Michigan Public

Unread postby Groundpounder » Fri Nov 13, 2015 7:49 pm

Thought I'd share my success from October 21. Michigan Public land. From the ground.

I made a little map to illustrate how it went down. Sorry for the length of the post. It happened pretty quickly and when I walked in I was not expecting this result.

This area was some public ground that I had scouted last season and didn't have a chance to hunt. It was pretty overrun with horses and people last year. A few good rubs, no big tracks or other major sign. I did find quite a bit of sign and some good doe bedding as well as a heavily used buck bed about 300 yards south of this spot last year that I hunted twice but couldn't make anything happen.

On October 21 around 3pm I decided to get into this spot as I did not find the human/horse sign in the surrounding area like i had last year. I thought it might be getting some use because of the lower pressure. There was a S wind, gusts between 15-20 mph.

THE MAP:
-Up is north.
-Purple is my route in.
-Red arrow in where the buck was bedded.
-Red line is the path the buck took.
-Star is the impact site.

There was some redbrush/thicket coming off of the subtle oak points jutting into the cattail/grass marsh with two tiny trees at the end of it. I figured this is where a buck was bedded if the area was in use. I walked in with the wind in my face, trying to locate any trails/big tracks coming from that area looping around the oak point between the lake. My assumption was that this was the path a buck would take if bumped and I intended to setup a camera along one of these trails in hopes that as the pressure increased towards November I would have my assumptions confirmed with pictures.

I found a good trail right where I expected, and as i was looking for decent tracks I heard the unmistakable sound of a deer bust out. I looked over toward the where I expected a buck to be beding and sure enough, that's where the noise was coming from. As I stood there I was watching the tops of the cattails move from the deer pushing through them and to my surprise saw that he was headed straight towards me. I drew back and he flew by me at five yards, moving too quickly for a shot, but I did get a look at his rack and knew he was a good buck. I tried to stop him with a mouth bleat but he just kept going. I also knew that I did not spook him. There was no way he smelled, saw, or heard me when he busted.

He ran about 50 yards past me then I lost sight of movement and couldn't hear him any longer. I thought well ... I can go after him or go check out that bed. There may be a chance that he loops around and tries to scent check the bed, so I waited about five minutes. I had my grunt tube with me and on a wind gust blew one short bleat and two short grunts, then waited another five.

I was watching for movement of cattails in a direction that was different from the direction the wind was blowing and after the ten minutes of standing there I caught some cattail movement. He was moving pretty quickly 15-20 yards in front of me. I looked around, saw a thick patch of 9ft grass that was mixed with cattails and knew that he was going to loop around to scent check the bed he busted from. I figured that he would cut across the end of the tall grass and get downwind of the bed. I decided that I had to beat him to the tip of the tall grass or he would slip past me. *(could i have let him slip past and set up on this buck to come out of his bed before dark? Sure, especially because I knew he was there. However, I thought I had a shot and like being aggressive.)

I moved as quickly as I could on wind gusts and beat him to the tall grass. As i got there I saw his rack stick out from a gap in the cattails, he turned and was about to cross the edge of the tall grass so again I had to make a move. I blew one short grunt into my shirt to muffle it (Only 10 yards away). He stopped, took two steps toward me and gave me a small opening in the cattails to shoot through. A head on shot. I put the pin right on the top of the bristle of hair running up his chest and let it fly. He crashed off and was down in 35-40 yards. The shot went through the major arteries and esophagus, the blood trail looked like it was painted with a high power paint sprayer. Mixing it up with a buck like this is the main reason I love hunting on the ground. Racing to cut off this buck while he was 20 yards away then having it come to a 8-10 yard shot was exhilarating and this will be one that I won't soon forget.

The thick stuff I shot him in.

Yeah! Buck down!

He barely fit in the car.

The dog getting a sniff of the kill.

Last edited by DEERSLAYER on Fri Nov 27, 2015 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed pics

Groundpounder

Re: 10-21-2015 Michigan Public

Unread postby Groundpounder » Fri Nov 13, 2015 8:11 pm

Map
seazofcheeze
500 Club

Unread postby seazofcheeze » Fri Nov 13, 2015 10:22 pm

That is a great story, thanks for sharing. Heck of a buck too, congrats!

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Mario
ProStaff

Unread postby Mario » Fri Nov 13, 2015 11:37 pm

Thanks for sharing the map, and description. It really brings you into the hunt when reading. That sounds like a lot of fun, especially getting him in that close.

I may have to try my hand at a swamp ground hunt next year :twisted: Congrat!
john1984

Unread postby john1984 » Sat Nov 14, 2015 2:44 am

congrats Groundpounder! thanks for sharing this exciting hunt. thAt is a great buck, love that pic of him in the car.

stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Sat Nov 14, 2015 2:50 am

8-) :clap: :clap: :clap:
Florida
500 Club
Facebook: facebook.com/huntinggeardeals

Unread postby Florida » Sat Nov 14, 2015 3:00 am

That's really cool. I'm surprised he didn't wind you or catch some ground scent. Obviously you are experienced on the ground, have you killed on other bucks so close to their bed?

http://www.huntinggeardeals.com
Co-Host Down South Hunting Podcast
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Sat Nov 14, 2015 3:10 am

What an outstanding hunt and buck!!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

That had to be an adrenaline rush on the ground, up-close and personal. Well done.
Ridgerunner7
500 Club

Unread postby Ridgerunner7 » Sat Nov 14, 2015 3:46 am

Congrats nice one
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Sat Nov 14, 2015 3:47 am

Congrats

http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
AttackMode

Unread postby AttackMode » Sun Nov 15, 2015 4:39 am

killing one from the ground is no small feat, way to go!!
I just kill mtn bucks
Ack

Unread postby Ack » Tue Nov 17, 2015 8:00 pm

Great Michigan buck...congrats! 8-)

• Advertisement

Return to “Kill Zone”