Legend of Chubs (Part 2)

Share and Showcase your hunting success stories.
Bucky

Re: Legend of Chubs (Part 2)

Unread postby Bucky » Sat Nov 07, 2015 3:47 am

Dewey wrote:Lot's of history there. Too bad it had to end like it did but glad you at least found his rack. Are you gonna get another cape and do a shoulder mount?

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

European mount... I got a neat idea I think.... gonna be a project. I just couldn't put a different cape on him

"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sat Nov 07, 2015 3:48 am

Lot's of cool things can be done with a euro mount.

cbay
500 Club

Unread postby cbay » Sat Nov 07, 2015 3:50 am

Something that includes having all those sheds around him would be cool.
Scout.  Learn.  Hunt
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Sat Nov 07, 2015 3:53 am

cbay wrote:Something that includes having all those sheds around him would be cool.

:handgestures-thumbup:
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
basspro05
500 Club

Unread postby basspro05 » Sat Nov 07, 2015 3:57 am

This is a great story Bucky!
jmaas07
500 Club

Unread postby jmaas07 » Sat Nov 07, 2015 4:04 am

Great story Bucky, thanks for taking the time to put all of this together. Unbelievable all the history and sheds you have of this buck. I'm sure your euro project is going to be top notch, can't wait to see the final product

Ruger

Unread postby Ruger » Sat Nov 07, 2015 4:44 am

Thanks for sharing :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Swampbuck

Unread postby Swampbuck » Sat Nov 07, 2015 5:03 am

Cool story, enjoying the read

In my opinion it could ended alot worse. It's not ideal but the buck was at end of his life anyway and didn't have many years left and woulda went to waste anyway. Pretty decent ending

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Make It Happen
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Sat Nov 07, 2015 5:13 am

Swampbuck wrote:Cool story, enjoying the read

In my opinion it could ended alot worse. It's not ideal but the buck was at end of his life anyway and didn't have many years left and woulda went to waste anyway. Pretty decent ending

Agree.... I just hope he didn't suffer. He had a huge abscess in his mouth and his teeth were worn down... he didn't have many years left. But he was still rutting this year... grunting, chasing, and remained dominant in the area. There was a 3yr old that moved in immediately after he was killed. He was on 4 of the 5 cameras I was running looking for Chubs + I saw him in daylight when I was looking for Chubs. I'm guessing this is also the buck my neighbor jumped and thought was Chubs. He is BIG bodied as well...... :D
Last edited by Bucky on Sat Nov 07, 2015 5:25 am, edited 2 times in total.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sat Nov 07, 2015 5:15 am

Bucky wrote:

Agree.... I just hope he didn't suffer. He had a huge abcess in his mouth and his teeth were worn down... he didn't have many years left. But he was still rutting this year... grunting, chasing, and remained dominant in the area. There was a 3yr old that moved in immediately after he was killed. He was on 4 of the 5 cameras I was running looking for Chubs + I saw him in daylight when I was looking for Chubs. I'm guessing this is also the buck my neighbor jumped and thought was Chubs. He is BIG bodied as well...... :D

Son of Chubs? :think:

Maybe the genes carried on.

Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Sat Nov 07, 2015 5:16 am

Dewey wrote:
Bucky wrote:

Agree.... I just hope he didn't suffer. He had a huge abcess in his mouth and his teeth were worn down... he didn't have many years left. But he was still rutting this year... grunting, chasing, and remained dominant in the area. There was a 3yr old that moved in immediately after he was killed. He was on 4 of the 5 cameras I was running looking for Chubs + I saw him in daylight when I was looking for Chubs. I'm guessing this is also the buck my neighbor jumped and thought was Chubs. He is BIG bodied as well...... :D

Son of Chubs? :think:

Maybe the genes carried on.

Crazy to say... definetly could be
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sat Nov 07, 2015 5:19 am

That is a beautiful looking buck! 8-)

Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Sat Nov 07, 2015 5:24 am

Just to give everyone an idea of pressure.... there are gun towers on every corner of the brush... my landowner has two in the brush with cut lanes... the neighboring farmer has 3 gunners out in the alfalfa field.... it suprises me that any deer could survive 8yrs in such an environment. But I think there is plenty of browse in the brush and water..... and the more mature deer just lay in there and wait it out
cbay
500 Club

Unread postby cbay » Sat Nov 07, 2015 5:33 am

Bucky, do you find that as the bucks you chase get older that many of them shrink their home range? During rut only or?
Also, is there any sort of pattern of them making more mistakes / visibility?
Scout.  Learn.  Hunt
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Sat Nov 07, 2015 6:42 am

cbay wrote:Bucky, do you find that as the bucks you chase get older that many of them shrink their home range? During rut only or?
Also, is there any sort of pattern of them making more mistakes / visibility?

They still move around during the rut.... but during the rest of the year, their core area is pretty small in my experience

• Advertisement

Return to “Kill Zone”