First buck and an introduction

Share and Showcase your hunting success stories.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Backwoodsbeards

First buck and an introduction

Unread postby Backwoodsbeards » Sat Oct 31, 2015 10:48 am

I am from lansing Michigan but I moved north after I got out of the army. I started out hunting pheasant and coyote. Theres something about calling in a coyote with a mouth call that still gives me goosebumps. I started hunting whitetail in 2013. I have never hunted them before that because I've always believed they should be hunted with a bow. I don't know why I've always felt that but I have. I had never shot a bow before that and was intimidated at the thought of learning how on my own. But enough was enough, I got my first bow 2 weeks before the season opener. I had been reading, watching videos, listening to podcasts and talking to everyone I could about bows and hunting whitetail all summer. In just a week I was hitting baseball groups at 40 yards. A friend of mine who has hunted with a bow for about 20 years was suppose to be giving me pointers but he ended up giving up. By day 3 he said he quit because I was shooting better in 3 days than he did in 10 years. He called me a natural but I give credit to ft bennings sniper school. Yeah its a whole different weapon system but they drill consistency every step. Since I was shown good form from the get go it was easy for me to replicate that over that long weekend.

So when the season opened I filled my 2 doe tags on public and my friend had got a 2y/o 6pt and he offered me to come sit in one of his stands. He was about 50 yards away. I had 4 or 5 different bucks come in throughtout the night. From spikes to a 6pt. When legal light hit he was all over me asking why I didn't shoot one of them. Well I had been listening to the wired 2 hunt podcast all summer remember? They talk about mature bucks non stop and I grew up watching guys holding their yearling bucks so proudly and those memories reinforced the "let em go so they can grow" feelings I was developing listening to the podcasts. Well I got an ear full all season as I kept passing young bucks. Eventually he got mad, told me people who shoot big bucks were lucky or on tv and to not bother coming back to his place because I wasn't going to shoot his "small bucks". I tried to explain it wasn't size it was age but he didnt want to hear it. I ate my buck tags because I couldnt get on any mature bucks during gun season on public. At the end of the season after listening to dans episode of wired to hunt probably 400 times I started getting into buck beds.

That summer I scouted every inch of the smallish parcels of public I was hunting. I think I found every buck bed on the 3600 acres. But what had me disapointed were the sheds. I found a garbage can full of 6 points and under. 1 set from an 8 point and half of another 8 points rack. This public land gets hit HARD. They have a PORTA POTTY at the main parking lot during the season. Well I figured the 8 point I had the set of was probably 2 years old at least that season and my goal was a 3 year old so ok Im hunting that one buck. There were 2 beds within 400 yards of the bed I found the pair in. I figured he was using them all. During that summer I would drive 25 minutes out of my way to and from work so I could watch the field he would hopefully be eating in. I seen him all the time. It got to where he would be leaving the field as I was passing it in the morning almost every single day. Fast forward to the season opener. I sat the edge of the field the first 2 days just like I did the year before. I was maybe 250 yards from my car. All the hunters try to "go deep" on this small property thinking they were being smart. What happens is they all end up sitting together in the middle of the woods in a 100 square yards. You can literally watch them all walk out together. Well the does know this and come into the fields like normal during the early season and I wack my 2 the first 2 days. Opening day everyone's asking where I sat because maybe 7 guys are coming out walking through the field together as Im dragging my doe beside them. They're all complaining about not even seeing doe. I tell them exactly where I sat because I had a plan. The second day I get there extra early sit in the same spot. This time a couple guys walk past and set up up wind of me maybe 150 yards and I yell at another for trying to set up damn near on top of me so he goes across the field. I was nervous because he trampled all through the doe trail I was sitting. A single doe ends up coming out right at last light and she was big. She stopped behind brush smelling and I figure shed bolt. I was pumped because she was so big. I had no idea she was in the area as I'd never see her in the field. I shot her at 12 yards and she runs right into the middle of the field SCREAMING and dies 50ish yards out. Everyone of those guys seen and heard her so I packed my stuff up and one of them helped me drag her the 200ish yards to the truck. So the next day I get there purposely late park in the same spot but walk down the street and take a route to hunt the bed I found the shed in. I knew he would be bedded there on a south wind, which it was in the morning but switched to sw around 3pm. So I set up anyway hoping I'll have enough leeway that I would see him before he hit my scent. After I got set up I thougt I heard him walking but it was the wrong direction and it sounded much more like a humans footsteps. I got a little worried about it but as prime time came around I forgot about it as I see that my buck had snuck in on me. He was standing directly in my scent trail. I didnt have alot of experience but I could tell he was on high alert. His back leg was up like he was gonna bolt. I was standing up with my bow in my hand praying for him to come another 10 yards. Eventually he trotted away. Maybe 2 minutes goes by and I hear THWACK and suddenly he's bolting back to where he came from. I'm shaking and angry I knew he'd been hit. As it got dark I see a flashlight and I get down and go over to him and hes yelling DID YOU SEE THAT BUCK? I recognized him from opening day, he was the only guy with a crossbow. He'd seen me the first 2 days and waited for me on the 3rd. He followed me in and sat on the ground. I was so pissed at him and the situation. He was lucky he sat downwind of the bed. I played it cool and told him "atleast he didnt shoot the big buck I was after" I helped him drag it out because he was old and made a perfect shot. I sat out the rest of the whole season. I had told my friends who hunted about it. No one believed me, just like they laughed when i showed them all my sheds and buck bed pictures. They thougt I made it up because I hadn't shot anything.

This year I found much MUCH bigger land but it was about a month before season so I couldnt scout on foot. I found a bunch of marshes and good odds on some buck bedding. After a long talk with my dad I decided I was going to shoot a young buck. He insisted I do it because guys don't "just go out and shoot big bucks" and I "needed one under my belt". He didn't understand it was about age not size either. He thinks he's such a great hunter because he sat 40 days of the year in 1 stand on his fathers land and shot 1 or 2 year old bucks every year. So its october 9th my gf ball buster told me to go out. I havent shot a doe yet this year because I'll never go back to the other public spot again. I set up in a new area where I thought I'd have a good chance. 10 minutes after sundown a doe comes by moving fast I stood up and drew on her, had the pin settled and out of the corner of my eye I see a much bigger body. I change over and let the arrow fly. My nocturnal entered right in the crease and I realized it was a buck. I had time to think "perfect". Watched him run a half circle around my stand and drop about 35 yards behind me. I had thought it was a spike because of the brief antler but it ended up being a 7 point. Regular 6 with a little kicker at the base. Dnr aged it at 2 years. I wasn't proud, yeah it was nice but I felt robbed. I dropped my goals just to relieve some peer pressure. I didn't get the shakes or anything. Didnt celebrate just focused on the long drag out. I refused to call anyone for help and it was 1am before I had him in te truck. I've had amazing encounters with mature bucks this year but the hunting pressure came and I lost my sightings. As I type this my regular bow season is over. My daughter goes in for her 3rd heart cath on Tues so I won't be hunting much. Maybe a couple days of the rifle season. I'm happy I got a buck using beast tactics. Im sad because I dropped my standards and goals because of others. I'm looking forward to spring scouting this huge land and putting down some beasts next year. Theres a special place for dan infalt in my hunting soul for sharing his knowledge. I never thought there would be a better feeling than blowing on a coyote howler and have a 50lb coyote come running in hackles raised...but I never thought I'd be hunting an antlerd beast with a bow in my hand either. . Thanks for everything and I'm looking forward to checking out this site everyday.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: First buck and an introduction

Unread postby dan » Sat Oct 31, 2015 11:00 am

Welcome to the BEAST and congrats.
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Sat Oct 31, 2015 11:18 am

Welcome to the Beast !!

I enjoyed your story. Thank you for your service to our country. Prayers sent for your daughter's upcoming procedure.
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Sat Oct 31, 2015 11:23 am

Soectacular!

Also thank you for your service...

Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
exojam

Unread postby exojam » Sat Oct 31, 2015 11:23 am

Congrats on the buck!

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
FRH
500 Club

Unread postby FRH » Sat Oct 31, 2015 12:18 pm

Very cool :dance: Congrats on your buck. Everything takes time. It sounds like your putting your time in scouting and you'll be on too bigger bucks in no time. Even though you may have lowered your standards for this buck, it's nothing to be ashamed of. Every deer is a trophy, especially for those that are taken with a bow. I think that it is a big accomplishment.
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Sat Oct 31, 2015 1:01 pm

Welcome BB and congrats on your first! :clap:
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Sat Oct 31, 2015 1:12 pm

Welcome congrats and enjoy!!
cbay
500 Club

Unread postby cbay » Sat Oct 31, 2015 1:31 pm

Congrats and welcome to the best site for learning. Sometimes our frustration can lead to a fire being lit even stronger than before.
Scout.  Learn.  Hunt
wiscbowhntr
500 Club

Unread postby wiscbowhntr » Sat Oct 31, 2015 1:33 pm

Congrats

Bowhunter4life
500 Club

Unread postby Bowhunter4life » Sat Oct 31, 2015 1:40 pm

Jackson Marsh wrote:Welcome to the Beast !!

I enjoyed your story. Thank you for your service to our country. Prayers sent for your daughter's upcoming procedure.

X2

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
sojourner

Unread postby sojourner » Sat Oct 31, 2015 1:43 pm

Congrats! And if I may be so bold, enjoy every step of the journey. Don't hold off your joy for your anticipated destination. There is a joy in the journey.

Congrats, enjoy your accomplishments and the loved ones in your life.

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
jmaas07
500 Club

Unread postby jmaas07 » Sat Oct 31, 2015 1:53 pm

Welcome to the Beast. Congrats on your buck, be proud of that..that is an accomplishment.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Sat Oct 31, 2015 2:13 pm

Welcome to the forum.

You seem like a quick study. You are doing well. Congrats on the deer. Given your dedication I suspect you will be knocking down big bucks in no time.

You learned the first lesson of public hunting the hard way, be discreet. I have left deer in the woods until the parking lot was empty. I have floated them down creeks to keep from having drag marks up to the lot. I have had buddies bring deer up to the check station in their truck so others didn't recognize where I was parked. You get the idea…

About the negativity, I dealt with the same stuff when I was young. I always had a thing for going for older bucks and I got many sideways looks from family when I started passing bucks, to the point that I quit telling them I was passing them and just said I didn't have a good shot. You have to understand that some people have hunted their whole lives and only been able to shoot small bucks, so for them to see some new hunter 'turn his nose up' at them, they can get offended.

Also, don't forget to have fun out there man.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
chasemukluk

Unread postby chasemukluk » Sat Oct 31, 2015 2:22 pm

Congrats on your buck!

• Advertisement

Return to “Kill Zone”