MN Jake R&G, archery style

Share and Showcase your hunting success stories.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Arrowbender
500 Club

MN Jake R&G, archery style

Unread postby Arrowbender » Thu May 14, 2015 2:15 pm

I had fun hunt last night.
I was lazy and decided to hit a private 80 that I have permission to hunt. It has been touch and go the past few years with no gobblers for a few days then one or two will show up, then nothing again.
I've been there a couple times since the April 30 Archery opener with no gobbles heard, no fresh scratching noted.
I figured I am due to intercept, so I went up there after work. I started into the timber at a very slow pace and looking for shrooms.
I thought I heard some scratching in the leaves so I slowed even more. Sure enough; as I crested the small knoll I spied a couple of hens, maybe 40-50 yds out.
They must have smelled a rat and diverted their course. That was fine. I just got enough confirmation to put me in turkey mode instead of fungus mode.

I set up and called very minimally figuring that any Toms in the 'hood would know where the ladies were.
No Luck!

I worked my way slowly towards a known roosting area. Not that I thought I would catch them on fly-up; but just that it would be an area that calls are normally heard from.

I was not using a blind. I HATE them. I have had some luck the past few years getting some close encounters with long beards while running and gunning with a bow; just not closing the deal.

I set up and waited a good 1/2 hour before minimal putting and clucking. No yelps.
After 10 more minutes or so I yelped quietly and cycled my flappagator (old fatigue pant leg, exercised to sound like wing beats).
I then waited another 10 minutes or so and did a lite cutting and yelping session.
I put my calls away.

I was daydreaming when my attention was sharply diverted to my 6. I see a bunch of red heads coming right in.
Huh!
My bow is on my lap and my release is not on the loop.
The birds....all Jakes, 4 of them, are getting closer fast. My bow is not moving nearly the same speed.

I am in trouble.

As I start to rush to catch-up, the lead jester starts to act suspicious. He is about 15 yds. out, but is going to be further soon.

I focus on the one that is the farthest away as he seems unaware. And his beard is the most visible. He is right at 20 yds.

As the nearest 3 all do an about face; I pull back and anchor on the slacker.

Jakes can dress up the ol' Weber quite nicely !!!

Jackson Marsh

Re: MN Jake R&G, archery style

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Thu May 14, 2015 2:31 pm

Congrats AB! Pretty cool to get one with a bow without a blind.

Looks delicious!

[ Post made via Android ] Image
remmag
500 Club

Unread postby remmag » Thu May 14, 2015 2:33 pm

Jackson Marsh wrote:Congrats AB! Pretty cool to get one with a bow without a blind.

Looks delicious!

+1! :clap:

Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Thu May 14, 2015 5:02 pm

Good stuff AB.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
hunter_mike

Unread postby hunter_mike » Thu May 14, 2015 5:13 pm

:clap: Well done!
“The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Thu May 14, 2015 9:49 pm

8-)
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Thu May 14, 2015 9:57 pm

Jackson Marsh wrote:Congrats AB! Pretty cool to get one with a bow without a blind.

Looks delicious!

this is how I used to hunt them ..you don't need a bling....some say it cant be done without a bling

congrats :clap:
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
SonofUlam

Unread postby SonofUlam » Thu May 14, 2015 11:58 pm

Great work!

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
[glow=green]1 Chronicles 8:40, "The sons of Ulam were brave warriors who could handle the bow..."[/glow]
hunter_mike

Unread postby hunter_mike » Fri May 15, 2015 4:10 am

Hey arrowbender, could you describe your body position when set up in order to keep yourself ready for a shot? kneeling standing sitting?

Bigdaddy-yoyo
500 Club

Unread postby Bigdaddy-yoyo » Fri May 15, 2015 7:18 am

Congrats AB , nice write up :clap:
Bigburner

Unread postby Bigburner » Fri May 15, 2015 7:39 am

Awesome! :clap:
Montani Semper Liberi
Instagram @formationoutdoors
Arrowbender
500 Club

Unread postby Arrowbender » Fri May 15, 2015 8:57 am

hunter_mike wrote:Hey arrowbender, could you describe your body position when set up in order to keep yourself ready for a shot? kneeling standing sitting?

Funny you should ask!

This actually came to mind when I was writing up the this hunt. It has become part if my set up plan to think of this exact thing. Not so much the actual position of my body (I was sitting flat butted on the ground, well, on the seat cushion of my vest). But more importantly; where I was in relation to where the birds were coming from.

To be clear- they didn't come from where I thought they would. But my set up dictated where they couldn't come from.

I feel my key to caliing success; whether deer or turkeys or even (especially elk); is to be invisible (not easily seen) upon their approach.

It is no mystery that if you expect a summoned (called to) animal to come to the call, they may be looking for the caller. I try to set up where I have a good chance to see the called animal before they see me. And if they come from any other direction, I try to have a screen or obstacle blocking their view until I can see them.

Of course this is hard to do when running/gunning, but I always have it in mind.

In the case of this turkey- I had a big obstacle directly behind me in a thicket that I knew turkeys would not pass through. I also used the edge of that thicket as my back drop to my RH side. It is difficult to shoot to the RH while sitting on the ground. I had a very clear opening to my front with a rise or knoll horizon right at 25 yrds. When I saw them they would be in range.

And if they came form my left - I was hoping they would be locked onto the decoy as they passed by me. And this is what they did.
Only I wasn't completey ready; but my bow is always on my lap with an arrow nocked. I just needed to attach the release, raise the bow and draw.

Normally, because of the many trees and little understory, this is easy to do when they pass behind a tree. BUT.... in this case there were too many to get them all out of sight at the same time.

So to answer your question. I was not really ready, but I am always ready !

It's not so much to be ready to shoot at all times.....set up so when they surprise you, you can still get the drop on them.

Sorry for the novel. But I think this is really to some extent one of the most relevant things that I have learned through out the years of calling. A lot of animals come to the call, but bust you moving because they see you first.

Why do blinds work so well? Duh! They can't see you!

If you don't or can't use a blind- set up so you see them first!! If you don't....you probably won't see them at all.

If you can see them first; many times you can keep from being seen; then it is almost always possible to draw unseen. Well....it at least fattens the odds.

I hope this answers your question.
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Fri May 15, 2015 11:51 am

BigHunt wrote:

Looks delicious!

this is how I used to hunt them ..you don't need a bling....some say it cant be done without a bling

congrats :clap:

with out a blind :oops: ...stupid phone! :lol:
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
hunter_mike

Unread postby hunter_mike » Fri May 15, 2015 3:27 pm

Awesome explanation, i knew it would be worth asking.

JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Sun May 17, 2015 8:50 am

Cool hunt AB! Sounds like you and I do pretty much the same thing when trying to get one with the bow. I HATE sitting in a popup blind too and agree have more total encounters without one even if its tough to seal the deal...your story got me fired up to do that again, hopefully next year I will have the time for it.

BigHunt wrote:some say it cant be done without a blind

Without a blind is double the fun!

• Advertisement

Return to “Kill Zone”