2014 Adirondack Buck (Tracking)

Share and Showcase your hunting success stories.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

headgear
500 Club

Re: 2014 Adirondack Buck (Tracking)

Unread postby headgear » Sat Dec 13, 2014 6:32 am

Congrats Sam great story and buck! :clap:

headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Sat Dec 13, 2014 6:33 am

bigwoodsmn wrote:I love stories that well written. But that story also drives me absolutely nuts. All I want to do right now is grab my gear, drive up to the big public, and look for a track.

Congratulations Sam.

Yep kind of kicking myself for sitting home muzzy season now but family duties had to take priority.
bigwoodsmn

Unread postby bigwoodsmn » Sat Dec 13, 2014 6:51 am

headgear wrote:
bigwoodsmn wrote:I love stories that well written. But that story also drives me absolutely nuts. All I want to do right now is grab my gear, drive up to the big public, and look for a track.

Congratulations Sam.

Yep kind of kicking myself for sitting home muzzy season now but family duties had to take priority.

Same here Headgear. I had an open tag to MZ hunt with but family duties took over...

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Rick James

Unread postby Rick James » Sat Dec 13, 2014 7:49 am

Great buck, I'd love to read the story as well. I've got a lot of history hunting Hamilton County and worn out many pairs of boots up there. My family has been logging and killing deer up there since the 1940's.
Brett

Unread postby Brett » Sun Dec 14, 2014 10:46 am

:clap:
SamPotter
500 Club

Unread postby SamPotter » Tue Dec 16, 2014 8:44 am

Southern Man wrote:
SamPotter wrote: With tracking, you follow the buck BEFORE you shoot it... Also, tracking isn't simply "running them down". Sometimes you do indeed need to run to stay in the same zip code, but you also need to know when to slow down based on the sign you are seeing and pick the woods apart. I'm not fat but there's no way I have more endurance than a Whitetail buck!

I once looked into a guided hunt in western / Central NY back in the mid late 90's I think. I was talking to the guy on the phone and he told me, when they walk, we walk, when they run, we run. He also told me, if you're not serious, don't come. I looked at those hills and it kind of scared the crap out of me :shock: I thought I didn't need a heart attack in NY. :mrgreen: Anyway I didn't go. Looking back I wished I would have. He had some great deer he had guided hunts on. Would have been fun ..... if I survived.

Anyway, great buck. Congrats!

Thanks! Do you remember the guide's name or where he hunted out of?
Uncle Lou

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Tue Dec 16, 2014 2:40 pm

Beautiful buck and loved the aerials with the captions. Top notch. So all we do is ask and you send the story. I will pm my email if that is all we have to do to read the full story.

Love the Adirondacks. Fished Cranberry lake a couple three times.
Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com
sojourner

Unread postby sojourner » Tue Dec 16, 2014 3:43 pm

He's a hoss!!! Congrats! Liked your map on your tracking route and speed.

I am curious, do you have your route and speed from kill site to truck? That must have been one heck of a drag!

Sometimes, while deciding to shoot a buck, I decide if he is "worth the drag".

So, please fill us in on what happened after the kill until you were in your vehicle driving away with your trophy.

Again, congrats!

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
SamPotter
500 Club

Unread postby SamPotter » Wed Dec 17, 2014 1:37 am

sojourner wrote:He's a hoss!!! Congrats! Liked your map on your tracking route and speed.

I am curious, do you have your route and speed from kill site to truck? That must have been one heck of a drag!

Sometimes, while deciding to shoot a buck, I decide if he is "worth the drag".

So, please fill us in on what happened after the kill until you were in your vehicle driving away with your trophy.

Again, congrats!

[ Post made via iPad ] Image

I got lucky- I ended up killing him 1/4 mile from a different logging road. I was also able to get a ride back to my truck (camp was en route on the way back to my truck.)

I carry a food safe contractor type garbage bag and a nylon feed sack- both rolled up in the game pocket of my coat. I never worry about whether they are "worth the drag", more like "am I going to drag him or carry him?"
Southern Man
500 Club

Unread postby Southern Man » Wed Dec 17, 2014 1:48 am

SamPotter wrote:
Southern Man wrote:
SamPotter wrote: With tracking, you follow the buck BEFORE you shoot it... Also, tracking isn't simply "running them down". Sometimes you do indeed need to run to stay in the same zip code, but you also need to know when to slow down based on the sign you are seeing and pick the woods apart. I'm not fat but there's no way I have more endurance than a Whitetail buck!

I once looked into a guided hunt in western / Central NY back in the mid late 90's I think. I was talking to the guy on the phone and he told me, when they walk, we walk, when they run, we run. He also told me, if you're not serious, don't come. I looked at those hills and it kind of scared the crap out of me :shock: I thought I didn't need a heart attack in NY. :mrgreen: Anyway I didn't go. Looking back I wished I would have. He had some great deer he had guided hunts on. Would have been fun ..... if I survived.

Anyway, great buck. Congrats!

Thanks! Do you remember the guide's name or where he hunted out of?

I don't remember his name but I think he was around Saranac lake (?) not sure, but the name of the lake was something like that. You couldn't access his camp from a road. He had to meet you at a public parking area and boat in. His property bumped up against public land. He was a nice guy.
You Can't Argue With A Sick Mind
Uncle Lou

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Wed Dec 17, 2014 2:29 pm

I just read the full story this morning. Absolutely awesome and well written. Sam I hope you get that published. That is Field & Stream or American Hunter story all day long.

Congrats again.
Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Wed Dec 17, 2014 2:50 pm

Uncle Lou wrote:I just read the full story this morning. Absolutely awesome and well written. Sam I hope you get that published. That is Field & Stream or American Hunter story all day long.

Congrats again.

Agree 100%!

[ Post made via Android ] Image
SamPotter
500 Club

Unread postby SamPotter » Thu Dec 18, 2014 1:55 am

Thanks guys!
SRWbowhunter

Unread postby SRWbowhunter » Wed Dec 24, 2014 5:38 am

Great buck and awesome story to go with it!

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
hunter_mike

Unread postby hunter_mike » Sat Jan 31, 2015 4:28 am

Congrats. Not sure how i missed this one. Did you ever get the full story published? Would love to read it. Great job
“The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”

• Advertisement

Return to “Kill Zone”