Spiker

Share and Showcase your hunting success stories.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Jackson Marsh

Spiker

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Mon Dec 01, 2014 9:52 am

[align=center]Spiker[/align]

My 2014 bow season didn’t quite go as planned, twenty-five sits and no shot opportunities at a nice buck. I’ll re-evaluate my bow season how/when/where/why in the off season to try to prevent similar results next year.

I view bow season as trophy hunting, and gun season as meat hunting. I haven’t shot a deer with my rifle for 3 or 4 years, in years past I had meat in the freezer and never felt the need to kill one unless it was a good buck. Opening weekend I was hunting in SW Wisconsin with a good friend, the only shot opportunity was at a small nub buck, which I passed.

My family spent Thanksgiving in Iowa with family and after spending 8 hours in a vehicle with 6 females I REALLY needed to kill a deer :lol: . Friday afternoon I sat in a local cedar swamp that the deer tend to get pushed into once pressure heats up. No deer seen. Saturday I planned to sit all day deep in a public cattail marsh. When I arrived at the parking area there were already 5 vehicles, which made me a little nervous that my spot might be taken. A quarter mile into my walk I passed a hunter sitting on the main access trail into thousands of acres. His scent was blowing in the direction a deer would most likely come from. I doubt he killed anything. My hike was a little over a mile and a half. I was setup two steps high in a small bunch of scraggly trees surrounded by cattails and lots of thick brushy bedding.

I heard a few scattered shots in the distance, but otherwise it was quiet. Around 10 AM I spotted a few guys a half mile away, it looked like they were getting ready to start a drive. The other hunters ended up pushing 3 does right by me. I had my gun up and safety off, but just couldn’t pull the trigger. This particular public area is lacking in does IMO and I don’t like shooting them when numbers are down. A couple of hours later I spotted another hunter coming from a different direction pushing the brush. Shortly after that I heard deer running and spotted 2 does and a spike buck. The deer ran behind me, the spike buck stopped 30 yards away. I shot him and he dropped in his tracks. I recognized this buck; I had him under my tree when I was bow hunting on November 6th.

After the shot I questioned my sanity for shooting a spike buck 1.5 miles from the truck :lol: . Since it was a smaller deer I decided to take everything out in one trip. I used BIgHunt’s trick and attached my tree rope to my safety harness and started dragging. Hauling a treestand, 3 sticks, backpack, rifle and buck was slow going. The marsh was mostly frozen which helped a lot. I got back to the truck in less than 3 hours with a lot of breaks. My seven year old daughter was very excited she always says “you never get a deer” :lol: .

She was even more excited when I told her we were going to butcher the deer on Sunday. I haven’t cut up a deer at home for a few years. She watched me skin the deer asking all sorts of questions. One of my older daughters helped with the grinding. We are hosting a foreign exchange student from China, so it was an eye-opener for her to see how “meat” is made. :L:

I cooked up some loin with a couple of freshly ground venison burgers. It was great. While I was skinning the deer, my 7 year old said it was gross and she was not going to eat it. She asked for 4 helpings after I fried up the loin :lol:

I love hunting for big bucks, but sometimes a guy just has to kill, drag, butcher and eat a deer.

It was a good day and a fun hunt. Now I get to watch the Packers beat up on the Patriots and their effeminate quarterback :lol: .

keb
500 Club

Re: Spiker

Unread postby keb » Mon Dec 01, 2014 9:56 am

Awesome congrats, good eats too!!
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Mon Dec 01, 2014 10:02 am

Been there... sometimes you just need to shoot one! Congrats, u hunted incredibly hard this year. I'm sure he was tasty!

[ Post made via Android ] Image
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
rutnbuck

Unread postby rutnbuck » Mon Dec 01, 2014 10:09 am

Congrats...you've earned that meal!!!

Trailcamaddict
500 Club

Unread postby Trailcamaddict » Mon Dec 01, 2014 10:11 am

Everyone seems to forget about the greatest trophy - food on the table! Nice Buck too. Give the deer some credit he is at least a three pointer maybe four.

Remember to take your kids!
YouTube - Engineered Outdoors
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Mon Dec 01, 2014 10:19 am

^ females in a car for that many hours - that's Miss-Testosterone city!!!

Nice buck gotta have some meat so I would do the same...

If the Patriots win you host me for deer hunting next year.
If The Pack wins I host you for Bear, Deer and Birds!
DEAL?

It will be a high scoring game I believe!
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
Spysar
500 Club

Unread postby Spysar » Mon Dec 01, 2014 10:24 am

Nice shootin Jackson!
A buck will see you three times, and hear you twice, but he's only gonna smell you once.
john1984

Unread postby john1984 » Mon Dec 01, 2014 10:26 am

Looks like it has 5 points, but I might be wrong. You hunted hard this season. That's a nice buck. Good lookin family ya got there . Meat looks delicious . Congratulations JM

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Mon Dec 01, 2014 10:37 am

Congrats Neil. Butchering a deer is quality family time. :clap:

You need to give yourself more credit. That's not a spiker.......more like a forkhorn or 5pt. :think:

hunter_mike

Unread postby hunter_mike » Mon Dec 01, 2014 11:02 am

Good job JM! Clean kill on public land, that is a trophy

“The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
U.P. MAN
500 Club

Unread postby U.P. MAN » Mon Dec 01, 2014 11:03 am

Absolutely nothing wrong with that! I got the ABSOLUTE smack down put on me last year, and shot a fawn on new years eve with the bow. I know how you feel all to well. Congrats on the table fare and awesome to see the kids taking part!
checkerfred
500 Club

Unread postby checkerfred » Mon Dec 01, 2014 11:24 am

Nice going! A spike/young buck like that is some of the best meat!

What was the method you used to hook up your tree rope to drag out the deer?

Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Mon Dec 01, 2014 11:30 am

checkerfred wrote:Nice going! A spike/young buck like that is some of the best meat!

What was the method you used to hook up your tree rope to drag out the deer?

Hooked carabiner to my harness, then through a loop around head and antlers.

xpauliber
500 Club

Unread postby xpauliber » Mon Dec 01, 2014 11:33 am

Congrats Jackson! Had been spying the killzone all November waiting for your post. Glad to see you getting the job done and great story.

JAB
500 Club

Unread postby JAB » Mon Dec 01, 2014 11:52 am

Nice job JM, you just can't beat filling the feezer, well done!

• Advertisement

Return to “Kill Zone”