Still Not Sure What to Make of it Buck

Share and Showcase your hunting success stories.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Redman232

Still Not Sure What to Make of it Buck

Unread postby Redman232 » Tue Nov 18, 2014 4:48 am

I hunted hard all earlier archery here in Indiana, weather patterns, bounce around a lot, visited new spots and some old haunts and had a terrible time seeing, let alone getting on a big deer. I had one good encounter with a very nice 8 the second weekend of November but I just couldn't get a decent shot as the deer passed directly underneath me. Saturday was our gun opener and the wind just wasn't right for the spot I really wanted to hunt, so I chose a spot I haven't hunted in three or four years. An island of trees in a CRP field with some pine thickets scattered about. I used to love bow hunting this spot because the doe trails come to it like the spokes on a bike wheel, but unless a buck is right on a doe trail, they always seemed to cross cut the doe trails 50 yards out. This has lead me to stop hunting the spot in bow season, I have seen several good bucks from this location but I could never kill them because of the travel routes the mature bucks take. I was mentally to the point where I was just ready to shoot the first thing that walked by with antlers. I got into my perch about a 1/2 hour before shooting light. At 7:15 this deer passed upwind of me, but with the clear skies and frosty morning the thermals were taking my scent almost straight up and over this deer. I initially heard him making a ground scrape but due to the brush growing up quite a bit since I last hunted this spot all I could see was the top of his rack at 50 yards, so I let him walk on. He made his way into a pine thicket about a 100 yards away, right in front of two fence sitters (neighbors :D ). He either caught them moving or smelled them (they were moving alot) and started blowing at them from inside the thicket, up to this point they were oblivious to his presence. When he first passed by me I assumed he was a yearling, but when he blew at them is was very deep and I knew right away it was a better deer than I initially thought. Once the fence sitters started bleating at him he had enough and began making his way back towards me. He stopped broadside at 50 yards but was directly in line between them and I. I let him come another 20 yards and put the cross hairs on him, I could see a 4 point side and what looked a snapped off main beam. As he stepped into an opening in the pine trees it was pretty obvious this wasn't a yearling, but still looked like he would have only been about a 100" deer. O well it's cold, I'm tired and he is standing right there and I have an audience :lol: , BOOM. He ran about 20 yards into another pine thicket and stopped, no crash. I heard the bullet impact but his reaction told me it wasn't the hit I had hoped for. I waited a half hour and didn't hear him again, text my wife and told her I thought I was done for the season and that I wasn't real sure what I had shot, other than it was a buck that looked like it had a big body. She decided to call me, so I answered, as we were talking I finally heard him take some hard stagger steps and lay down. I waited another half hour and then climbed down, shed some clothes and had a cup of coffee at the base of the tree. I eased my way over to the spot where I shot him and couldn't find any blood or hair, there had to be some but I couldn't find it. I was able to find his track, a couple of 4 finger walking tracks where he came in and then where he dug in after I shot him. I followed his tracks for about 10 yards and still not seeing any blood, I was pretty sure I was going to need help, I stood in one spot for probably 10 minutes trying to decide what I wanted to do, back out or take the chance of pushing him. As I stood there I heard some weed snap and looked to my left, I could see the hind end of a deer, curled up like it was bedded, and then I saw his hind legs straighten out, I'm pretty sure he was already dead and I witnessed rigamortis set in. As soon as I saw him I knew it was not a yearling, body looked really big. Huge head and roman nose (I have never seen one like this around here). Field dressed 215, the pictures I took don't really do him justice, I need to get better at that, I sprayed him down with the hose to wash blood off which didn't help with good photos either. I get the feeling that he's a real old deer but I don't know, the 4 point side looks like a 2.5 year old but I wouldn't think the body or head would be that large if he was. Honestly a pretty ugly deer with a lot of character but he's going on the wall regardless.ImageImageImageImageSorry for the long read, my brother also was able to get a six pointer and a doe on a different farm, not to bad for only hunting 2 hrs all season.

PLB
500 Club

Re: Still Not Sure What to Make of it Buck

Unread postby PLB » Tue Nov 18, 2014 4:56 am

Very odd looking deer!! Congrats!! 8-)

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Obsession Bows
Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Tue Nov 18, 2014 5:07 am

Sweettacular! :clap:
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Tue Nov 18, 2014 8:28 am

Nice job on the nice buck.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
JakeJD
500 Club

Unread postby JakeJD » Tue Nov 18, 2014 9:48 am

Good job...
"In the deed, the glory"
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Tue Nov 18, 2014 11:35 am

Yea, that's not a baby.

Congrats on a big ol' buck.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Tue Nov 18, 2014 1:08 pm

Awesome, congrats! Yea that's a odd looking deer!
Redman232

Unread postby Redman232 » Fri Nov 21, 2014 4:43 am

Got 84.5 lbs of meat off this deer, usually get around 40 percent of the hanging weight back in meat(head and hide removed). When I weighed him field dress it was 215, but he was either heavier than that or we got better than 40 percent. What do I need to recover to have the teeth tested for age?
oldrank

Unread postby oldrank » Fri Nov 21, 2014 5:25 am

Nice job ! He looks like a duke compared to the others in the truck.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Fri Nov 21, 2014 6:42 am

I love the freaks

Congratulations 8-)

HUNT LIKE A BEAST
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Fri Nov 21, 2014 6:55 am

Congrats!

He really dwarfs the other deer in your truck pic! Cool looking buck! If you have him aged report back.

Redman232

Unread postby Redman232 » Fri Nov 21, 2014 8:31 am

Jackson Marsh wrote:Congrats!

He really dwarfs the other deer in your truck pic! Cool looking buck! If you have him aged report back.

In all fairness, they other deer a pretty small. I think I am going to have him aged, I've never really cared before, but this is first buck I've killed that has made me wonder. I honestly can't tell whether he is 2.5 or super old. Like I said before the hide, head and antler color are very different than what we typically see around here. I keep talking about how it's an ugly deer (must have wandered down from MI), my wife is going to love having it on the wall. :D
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Tue Dec 02, 2014 8:48 am

Whack em and stack em and fill that pickup!
http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
john1984

Unread postby john1984 » Tue Dec 02, 2014 8:55 am

Good job

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
crankn101
500 Club

Unread postby crankn101 » Wed Dec 03, 2014 4:55 pm

Looks like you might be in need of a long bed...

Congrats man!

• Advertisement

Return to “Kill Zone”