Nov. 8 ground buck

Share and Showcase your hunting success stories.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

cbay
500 Club

Nov. 8 ground buck

Unread postby cbay » Mon Nov 10, 2014 11:18 am

Well it's been a long eventful season with plenty of ups and downs. Been hunting pretty hard this year with more knowledge and time to spend in the woods. Last monday i arrowed a really nice buck on public and it didn't work out. I was way over confident and took a shot that i shouldn't have. He was nearly under my stand and i was sure it wouldn't matter with a well placed shot. After much searching i came to realize a one lung hit could turn out for the worse. A couple days later i saw him following a doe a half mile from where i shot him.

Fast forward to this weekend. I went out to the property with Dad to hunt a few days. Actually got out there thursday, hunted friday on the edge of our corn. Saw a very big deer closer to the house while i was on stand. When i got back Dad tells me about his experience looking out the window,,,,wow! A huge eight pointer came through the yard and gave him a show for about a half hour! Rubbing trees in the yard, sniffing the does he was with, checking scrapes,,, I was more excited for him to have that experience than anything in the world!!!

By saturday i decided to head out around 10 for a ladder stand i have up on the ridge a ways and hunt all day. I took my time and headed up the fence line border of our property with a nw wind, it was perfect for this spot. There is a thicket half way there on the neighbors side that does like to bed in so i slowed down and sure enough i got some of them up. I watched and saw horns. It was the big eight. I had all the intel from Dad's experience to know this but hadn't planned on acting on it so i was caught off guard on what to do. Here i was on the fenceline watching this stud on the neighbors and the does are spooked. He didn't want to leave and i had a good wind for him so i got down low on the grassy trail at the fence. I watched him and some of the does as they were trying to figure out what to do. Not much cover other than that thicket had some of them scatter across a field out the neighbors direction, while him and a couple does were at the fence planning on heading into our timber. I stayed low and watched as he came close to crossing the fence for a while. He was less than 50 yards from me most of the time and i was stuck in some grass on the ground!!!!
I could go on and on about some of the stuff as the day went on but i got to keep this a little shorter, I saw a body hop the fence like one of the does did earlier and knew it was him. I couldn't stand up or turn around or i would have been busted so i tried to wait them out and hope he got up and moved closer.

I ended up spending most of the day testing the limits of strain in my ankles, knees and legs by not being able to move around, and eventually i decided to slowly raise up in hopes he moved or i wouldn't be seen and then come up with another plan. As i stood up i heard something in the leaves to my right in our woods and looked over and there was a buck coming my way. I didn't have much time to react as he was already under 30 yards. I drew without him seeing me and kept searching for a shot through the brush. My snap instinct was that this buck looked smaller, but i was already in kill mode. As he got within twenty yards i still didn't have a good shot and he ended up seeing me. He bounced, but no further away and stopped, i found a marginal path through the brush and let it go. I immediately knew it wasn't good as i couldn't see where my arrow went and was pretty sure i hit a branch. By this time i am rattled to say the least, so i find my arrow and i got a pass through. So i head back to the house and Dad and i picked up the trail in the morning and found him. Was a poor hit (deflection), but i'll take lucky over good any day of the week. He sure isn't the big eight i sat for all day, but i couldn't be happier with shooting the wrong deer. It was an absolutely awesome hunt!!!.
Three of my last four bucks have been from the ground and they have all been exciting.

Scout.  Learn.  Hunt
U.P. MAN
500 Club

Re: Nov. 8 ground buck

Unread postby U.P. MAN » Mon Nov 10, 2014 11:21 am

Nice buck!
Arrowbender
500 Club

Unread postby Arrowbender » Mon Nov 10, 2014 11:24 am

Nice Buck!
Congrats!

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
hunting_dad
500 Club

Unread postby hunting_dad » Mon Nov 10, 2014 11:29 am

Cool hunt and nice deer!

[ Post made via Android ] Image
PLB
500 Club

Unread postby PLB » Mon Nov 10, 2014 11:34 am

Really good buck!!! Congrats!!

Obsession Bows
Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Mon Nov 10, 2014 11:46 am

Congrats man. Dandy buck!

No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Mon Nov 10, 2014 12:06 pm

Sweetacular! :clap:
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
Crazinamatese

Unread postby Crazinamatese » Mon Nov 10, 2014 12:19 pm

Congrats. 8-) A couple of us here got bucks from the ground this season so far. Cool!
The cave you fear hides the treasure you seek!!!
oldrank

Unread postby oldrank » Mon Nov 10, 2014 12:22 pm

Nice job... he is a duke !

whitetailassasin

Unread postby whitetailassasin » Mon Nov 10, 2014 12:24 pm

Nice deer congrats on ground kill

Wlog
500 Club

Unread postby Wlog » Mon Nov 10, 2014 12:24 pm

Congrats!

Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding.
JakeJD
500 Club

Unread postby JakeJD » Mon Nov 10, 2014 12:36 pm

Good stuff...

"In the deed, the glory"
ttsbuck
500 Club

Unread postby ttsbuck » Mon Nov 10, 2014 12:49 pm

Good hunt and exciting
Brett

Unread postby Brett » Mon Nov 10, 2014 1:13 pm

heck of a hunt and nice buck! :clap:
olivertractor
Facebook: what's facebook

Unread postby olivertractor » Mon Nov 10, 2014 1:14 pm

Great job man, nice buck!

"Sad state of affairs when I'm voting for who's gonna hurt us less, than who's gonna help us more"

• Advertisement

Return to “Kill Zone”