Southern Farmland Buck

Share and Showcase your hunting success stories.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Bucky

Re: Southern Farmland Buck

Unread postby Bucky » Wed Nov 19, 2014 7:51 am

My creek bottom kill...

Blue = creek
Red = access and Red X is tree stand
Pink X = deer beds along grassy areas or blow downs in creek
Green trails = deer trails
Yellow = CRP/chest high praire
Brown = wooded edge
Orange 50 yards across
Grey is wind direction
Black is trying to depict topography... the stand is roughly 75-100ft higher than lowest section of oxbow inside the creek

I had been getting pictures of the buck on multiple areas of the creek bottom which typically holds a fair # of does. I monitor this area with trailcams all season... he did not show up on camera until Oct 28th... I have cameras (4) of them peppered all over in strategic places that allow me to check when heading to stand sites (creek crossings) and the "funnel" stand that I shot him out of. By accessing through the water I'm able to hunt these stand location(s) multiple time(s) on the right wind direction(s). My wind blows out over the creek (or down the creek in other locals) and I try not to leave much of a foot print inside the oxbow. This particular buck was racing a doe around out in the CRP/praire depicted in yellow. Grunting up a storm... I saw the same thing happen last year on Nov 6th... this year it was Nov 7th! I grunted a few times and eventually snort wheezed at the chasing bucks (3) of them. The two little bucks immediately responded and came into the timber from the grass. About 15 mins later the doe popped out of the grass and also stood in the timber. I'm certain she heard my snort wheezes... I think she was hoping for a break with a challenging buck. She slowly worked over towards me and he followed to roughly a 27 yard shot. I heard a loud crack on impact ( last rib) and I think it was opperator error although he may have taken a step at release too... so I caught liver and the arrow was hanging out of him as he ran away. I could see right away I was too far back and I was not happy with myself. He bedded down on the ridge depicted in black with his mouth gaping open... I knew he was hurtn for certain. So, I sat and enjoyed the woods from 7:30AM until roughly 2:30PM before I got down. I slowly worked over to the impact site... no blood. I knew in my mind I should give it even more time so I went to my truck via the same route I accessed and dropped off my heavy bibs and outer wear. By 3:30PM I was back to the site of impact.... I walked foot over foot towards the spot he bedded with an arrow nocked. At the ridge top bedding site the buck had reached back and pulled the arrow out... this helped as now I had a blood trail. Although it was only a drip here and there.... I figured that after he got up he was going towards water in the creek and that is in fact where I found him. He was stiff as a board so I'm sure he was dead hours earlier.

In the past 3-4yrs creek bottoms have become my absolute favorite rut spots to hunt because the travel is so predictable and the access can be clean by using the water or hunting trails on the opposite side of the creek. When it is warm there is still activity with the available water, and usually in creeks that do not dry up does make them home year round as long as a food source is nearby. The bedding is also very predictable... see the pink Xs... those are areas that I have watched does and bucks bed when coming back to the creek in the AMs
Last edited by Bucky on Wed Nov 19, 2014 8:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
Kraftd
500 Club

Unread postby Kraftd » Wed Nov 19, 2014 8:07 am

Josh, out of curiosity, is there a size to the waterway you target (width/depth), or is it kind of situationally dependent? The best rut funnel I ever hunted was a small brookie stream flat that was maybe 6 feet wide and three feet deep at its absolute biggest. Connected two very large wooded areas and was only about 50 yards wide between two ag fields at its narrowest. Unfortunately no longer have permission, and really wish I was more 100% into bowhunting when we had it. Too much time racing out midday to hunt grouse and stuff like that between morning and evening sits....Even doing that had a couple of double digit buck days in there.
Trailcamaddict
500 Club

Unread postby Trailcamaddict » Wed Nov 19, 2014 8:08 am

Thanks for the follow up tactical information. This is really helpful to those that are willing to learn!
Remember to take your kids!
YouTube - Engineered Outdoors
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Wed Nov 19, 2014 8:18 am

Kraftd wrote:Josh, out of curiosity, is there a size to the waterway you target (width/depth), or is it kind of situationally dependent? The best rut funnel I ever hunted was a small brookie stream flat that was maybe 6 feet wide and three feet deep at its absolute biggest. Connected two very large wooded areas and was only about 50 yards wide between two ag fields at its narrowest. Unfortunately no longer have permission, and really wish I was more 100% into bowhunting when we had it. Too much time racing out midday to hunt grouse and stuff like that between morning and evening sits....Even doing that had a couple of double digit buck days in there.

I like the creek to have high and low cuts... so some changes in elevation are nice as they limit the areas of creek crossings... but I have watched over and over now bucks follow theses wooded or brushy creeks during the rut. It is like a super highway that they cruz along checking the owbows/brushy areas/high grasses for bedded does. And if possible it is nice to be able to access your stands in the water or on the edge of the creek off the top of the cut banks as deer usually stay on the tops unless crossing
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
MOBIGBUCKS

Unread postby MOBIGBUCKS » Wed Nov 19, 2014 8:34 am

Bucky wrote:
Kraftd wrote:Josh, out of curiosity, is there a size to the waterway you target (width/depth), or is it kind of situationally dependent? The best rut funnel I ever hunted was a small brookie stream flat that was maybe 6 feet wide and three feet deep at its absolute biggest. Connected two very large wooded areas and was only about 50 yards wide between two ag fields at its narrowest. Unfortunately no longer have permission, and really wish I was more 100% into bowhunting when we had it. Too much time racing out midday to hunt grouse and stuff like that between morning and evening sits....Even doing that had a couple of double digit buck days in there.

I like the creek to have high and low cuts... so some changes in elevation are nice as they limit the areas of creek crossings... but I have watched over and over now bucks follow theses wooded or brushy creeks during the rut. It is like a super highway that they cruz along checking the owbows/brushy areas/high grasses for bedded does. And if possible it is nice to be able to access your stands in the water or on the edge of the creek off the top of the cut banks as deer usually stay on the tops unless crossing

Great buck man!! Your on a roll dude!

How deep are the creeks you are hunting Buck? Year round water in these streams be the best to hunt? Are these river bottom type areas where most of the wooded cover is in and along the stream or river? I got some spots similar to this I need to start hunting.
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Wed Nov 19, 2014 8:42 am

MOBIGBUCKS wrote:
Bucky wrote:

Great buck man!! Your on a roll dude!

How deep are the creeks you are hunting Buck? Year round water in these streams be the best to hunt? Are these river bottom type areas where most of the wooded cover is in and along the stream or river? I got some spots similar to this I need to start hunting.

Deep enough to hold water year round... I think moving water is better too (fresher)

Yes typically there is a mixture of woods and grass in and around the creek... the thicker the better if you are buck hunting (big bucks just don't seem to like to travel through open woods in daylight much)

I would like to give some real life pictures and topos... but I know better :shifty:

here is one I used to hunt but gave it up to my cousin cause I have 2 dozen spots and he had none :lol:
Last edited by Bucky on Wed Nov 19, 2014 8:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
cbigbear
Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/mobilehuntinggear/

Unread postby cbigbear » Wed Nov 19, 2014 8:48 am

Is the topo outside the creek bottom hill country or is the whole area mainly flat?
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Wed Nov 19, 2014 8:50 am

cbigbear wrote:Is the topo outside the creek bottom hill country or is the whole area mainly flat?

can be either... but I prefer rolling hills or hilly

[ Post made via Android ] Image
MOBIGBUCKS

Unread postby MOBIGBUCKS » Wed Nov 19, 2014 8:52 am

classic farmland stuff. Perfect
MOBIGBUCKS

Unread postby MOBIGBUCKS » Wed Nov 19, 2014 8:53 am

Bucky what do you think about the more featureless setups like closer to good sized rivers? Not missouri river big but larger rivers/creeks that run into the big rivers etc. Seems like the funnel affect would still be there but maybe not hold the bedding like yours is showing.
Bowhunter4life
500 Club

Unread postby Bowhunter4life » Wed Nov 19, 2014 8:54 am

Awesome job. Enjoyed the map and the set up. Like to see how others are using terrain and water to stack the odds in their favor. Your a big buck killing machine man. Congrats once again.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Wed Nov 19, 2014 8:55 am

MOBIGBUCKS wrote:Bucky what do you think about the more featureless setups like closer to good sized rivers? Not missouri river big but larger rivers/creeks that run into the big rivers etc. Seems like the funnel affect would still be there but maybe not hold the bedding like yours is showing.

Yeah... I think the funnel effect will be there... just not the bedding... the oxbows hold the does! and bucks too I guess
yungbuck
500 Club

Unread postby yungbuck » Wed Nov 19, 2014 2:33 pm

Man knows how to get it done! Man you can put em down

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
nothing but a simple minded god fearing public land bow hunter
Spysar
500 Club

Unread postby Spysar » Thu Nov 20, 2014 12:00 pm

Awesome buck Josh!
A buck will see you three times, and hear you twice, but he's only gonna smell you once.
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Tue Nov 25, 2014 4:03 am

Playing a little catch up here, congrats Bucky!!! :clap:

• Advertisement

Return to “Kill Zone”