Kansas Buck down!

Share and Showcase your hunting success stories.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Bigburner

Re: Kansas Buck down!

Unread postby Bigburner » Thu Nov 13, 2014 5:33 am

Love his rack! Congrats

Montani Semper Liberi
Instagram @formationoutdoors
Sam Ubl
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.carbontv.com/shows/chase-na ... red-slider

Unread postby Sam Ubl » Sat Nov 15, 2014 8:15 am

That is the IDEAL buck I'd like to shoot, super tall, tight, and just everything about him is awesome. I'd rather wrap a tag around that then a wide typical 170" deer... Just saying.
Chase Nation | Reality Hunting TV | http://www.chasenation.tv
Watch Chase Nation on Carbon TV: https://www.carbontv.com/shows/chase-na ... red-slider
Huntmore | http://www.huntmore.io/
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Tue Dec 02, 2014 8:53 am

Heavy duty.
http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
Jphunter
500 Club

Unread postby Jphunter » Tue Dec 02, 2014 9:18 am

Awesome deer!! Good job.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
exojam

Unread postby exojam » Tue Dec 02, 2014 10:03 am

Do not know how I missed him but yikes he is nice. Congrats.
mheichelbech
500 Club
Facebook: mheichelbech@gmail.com

Unread postby mheichelbech » Tue Dec 02, 2014 11:57 am

Great job!

"One of the chief attractions of the life of the wilderness is its rugged and stalwart democracy; there every man stands for what he actually is and can show himself to be." — Theodore Roosevelt, 1893
kurt

Unread postby kurt » Tue Dec 02, 2014 3:46 pm

i love the rack on that buck. awesome
crankn101
500 Club

Unread postby crankn101 » Tue Dec 02, 2014 4:15 pm

Thats a bad boy!
OH nontypical
500 Club

Unread postby OH nontypical » Tue Dec 02, 2014 11:27 pm

Love that tall heavy rack!!!!

Beason
500 Club

Unread postby Beason » Mon Dec 08, 2014 5:43 pm

\m/ !!!

[ Post made via Android ] Image
365buckin

Unread postby 365buckin » Thu Dec 11, 2014 7:06 pm

MO, I'd still like to hear the story!!! Congrats!
Be in the woods as often as you can....and as long as you can!
Longbow

Unread postby Longbow » Thu Dec 11, 2014 11:35 pm

Beauty, congratulations !!

Florida
500 Club
Facebook: facebook.com/huntinggeardeals

Unread postby Florida » Sat Dec 13, 2014 1:19 pm

Congrats. Looking forward to your diy tips. Very impressive.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
http://www.huntinggeardeals.com
Co-Host Down South Hunting Podcast
Brett

Unread postby Brett » Sun Dec 14, 2014 10:45 am

:clap:
MOBIGBUCKS

Unread postby MOBIGBUCKS » Tue Dec 16, 2014 5:15 am

Hey guys,

I meant to write the story behind my buck sooner, but I haven't had a chance to do so. Here goes:

I started scouting right after the snow melt last year, but i didn't make it to Kansas until right before turkey season. I found a piece of property to hunt through a friend kind of deal but had no expectations as my better spots were actually on public land. The place looked decent but nothing out of the ordinary for the area. I could tell it was hunted by other guys as I was told the landowner let people on sparingly to hunt. I went in and scouted with no expectations.

The property itself was 320 acres but it was mostly crop ground. There was one island in the middle with three very small connecting tree lines. In addition, there was CRP grass on one corner of the property. I scouted all of the typical stuff and took a look at the island in the middle of the field. Once I got in there, I was amazed at how thick the cover was inside; there was a nice little cedar thicket inside this island that you cant see until you are in there. As soon as I walked in the thicket, I found big rubs and instantly looked for buck bedding. I found none believe it or not. It just wasn't a buck bedding area but it was an amazing doe bedding area which means as much or more to me in the right instance. Some people might see the rubs and think it was buck bedding like I did at first, but the beds and how they were spread out were not conducive to big mature buck bedding spots. The most important thing was finding big waist high rubs coming and going through this thicket. This told me the bucks I were after use this area to check for hot does. The area they were traveling was a transition line created by the cedars. I instantly looked for a tree in which I could setup in; I also planned my entrance route which was just as important with the open crop ground surrounding the area on three sides. The tree was easy to find as I had a narrow funnel created by CRP grass on one side and a very deep eroded bank creek on the other side. I had trails intersecting at 8 and 17 yards from this tree. The deer used the cedar transition line to travel from bedding out into one of the fingers that connected to the island. The area was thick and I knew if it happened it was gonna be a close encounter.

I had been in Kansas nearly a week and I had been waiting for the proper wind to access this stand. November 6 was the day i planned to go in there and take the long trek with stand and sticks on my back. Earlier in the story, I talked about about entering this area properly to have success. To enter this area the way I wanted, I had to be ready to walk in a solid two hours before shooting light. The walk was a solid mile one way but I had to use those sparse treelines and ditches for cover so I could spook as few deer as possible going in. After walking and taking my time, I made it to the island. However, I'm on the back side of that deep eroded creek like I was talking about earlier. I had to cross this deep creek ditch to access my stand. Crossing this deep ditch with mud and water was imperative for this stand to work. If you go any other way you leave ground scent and spook the deer you are trying to kill. Using water or barriers like this is one of my favorite ways to access stand sites.

I was finally situated in my tree and ready to go after a very tough entrance. The wind was blowing pretty good as a nice refreshing cold front was working its way through. I didn't see anything until 8:30 that morning. What I first saw was a shadow because the rising sun was at my back. It was a rather large doe and she came by my stand at 8 yards. She fed on some browse and then looked behind her. I grabbed my bow instantly knowing what that meant. I looked over just in time to hear a grunt and see nothing but giant tines headed my way. At this point, I felt like a cluttered mess trying to position myself for what I knew was gonna be a close shot. The giant buck stepped behind a cedar and I drew my Bowtech General back getting it ready for the shot. My heart was pounding like you wouldn't believe only 12 feet above this massive Kansas buck. He entered my small lane and I focused the pin right on the top of his shoulder crease. I released the arrow and watched him bound off with the arrow still sticking out of him. He ran into the tall CRP and disappeared. It took me awhile to gain my composure back and try to piece together what had happened so fast. I knew I hit him good but i was nervous not getting a full pass through at only 8 yards. Thirty minutes went by and I got down and looked at the first blood. It looked very good but I was still hesitant to start tracking at this point. I had what i thought was one hole, no arrow in him (I seen it fall out) on a very big tough buck that just ran out into grass over 6 feet tall. My choice was to wait one full hour at my tree before going anywhere. It was the longest hour I've ever had to wait. One hour passed by and I took up the trail for this buck. Once I hit the grass, the blood was painted on the grass as he was running away. The trail was going good until about 75 yards out where it just quit. I decided to do a small circle and on my first complete circle there he was!!!! He was only feet from where I had been but that grass was so thick it was impossible to see him there. When I repositioned him, I noticed his offside leg broke while I was moving him. Later that night after caping him, I figured out why my penetration was not a full pass through. When I shot him his off leg was back and the broadhead essentially broke his leg. The broadhead did get full penetration it was just stopped abruptly by that leg ;)

It was an awesome feeling kneeling down beside this buck. He is the first buck i've taken (by choice) since I shot a 160 in Kansas back in 2010. All of the bucks I had passed in between made this buck that much more special. Thoughts of scouting, preparing, shooting, and all of the hunting that led up to this point was a something I soaked in on that beautiful high pressure morning in Kansas. I'll go into more detail in my deer contest entry about the early part of my trip, and the drag out of the woods (It was tough in itself too.)

Thanks for reading and all of praise guys!!

• Advertisement

Return to “Kill Zone”