Fred is dead, the story of my first Pope and Young whitetail

Share and Showcase your hunting success stories.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Brad

Fred is dead, the story of my first Pope and Young whitetail

Unread postby Brad » Sun Oct 26, 2014 1:24 am

As many of you know I am cursed when it comes to mature bucks and putting the pope and young caliber buck down with a bow, killed several with a gun and muzzleloader that were well beyond that but never with archery gear. That all ended yesterday when I arrowed my personal best buck with a bow who just squeeked into the minimum 125. I had this buck on camera several times through out the summer along with several other good bucks. I told myself it was gonna be a pope and young or I was not shooting this year, I was tired of juuuuust missing the benchmark.

I decided Fred here was to be my #1 on the hit list for this year followed by a tall tined buck that I think is the son of a buck I killed 2 years ago. I waited for the right conditions a few weeks ago and went in one morning on a Friday and set up just downwind of where I believe he was bedding. I did not see him but did have an encounter with a small buck. I liked the spot as I had killed last years buck there and it was a tree I could get way up high in my climber and blow my scent over the thernal tunnel so it was perfect for an all day sit due to being 30-35 feet up.

I went back in yesterday morning on my first day of my 3 week vacation I took (I work 4-10's with Fridays off so technically it wasn't a vacation day). I got there around 9 or 930, got set up and comfy. There was a huge fog blanket covering everything and I could barely see 50 yards which made for awesome entry conditions. I sat and was gonna sit all day even though the rut shouldnt really start up for a few more days, but I was also in the mood for a doe if a good one came by so I thought what the hey, and it was a nice day to sit.

Around 11:45 I noticed a small 1.5 year old crusing the ridge where I had pictures of Fred and the others. I had my camera arm and camcorder so I thought why not play with him a little and get some film. I grunted at him and did a few can calls. He locked right on to my area and just stopped and stared. I video taped the stand off until he got skittish for no reason and looked over his left shoulder back towards the cedars where I suspect Fred lived. He turned and trotted off semi afraid but not snorting. I thought nothing of it and figured the wind might have switched briefly.

About 10 minutes later (now right at noon) I notice a big buck walking just below the edge of the ridge cruising my direction coming from the cedars. I knew he was a shooter at first sight, and I instantly thought he was the tall 8 point I missed 2 weeks ago to the day further down the ridge. I got some video footage of him coming into my set up, and then I had to move the arm to try and get the shot and I flat out had to guess where to aim as he was quartering down the ridge at an angle and darn near in bow-range. I guessed wrong but I had a bow mounted action cam and got the shot on tape as soon as he stopped out from behind a tree. The arrow buried into his lungs straight up the leg bone and stopped, not a pass through. He took about 5 jumps and the arrow flew out and I could see blood just spraying everywhere. I was concerned about the shot as I figured I hit shoulder at first. He went about 50-60 yards and flipped over and barrel rolled down the hill about 5 yards.

I about fell out of the tree at that point as I knew this was by far the biggest buck I had ever killed with a bow, and I got to see him go down. I made some phone calls and sent a ton of BBD texts to my buddies. I still at this point figured I had killed my big 8 and did some explanation videos from the tree of what happened. I climbed down and self filmed the recovery as I walked up on him, none of that post recovery garbage where they had long since found the buck and the emotions are faked.

I could smell him before I found him, the tarsal glands are absolutely rank. I got to him and instantly I realized he was far bigger than I originally thought, both body wise and rack wise. I tagged him and started taking pictures and then went and got my arrow which actually was the hardest part of the whole ordeal.

I had my dad and father in law come help me as the soybeans were still up so I couldn't get my truck to him like in years past. I was looking at a long pull with the deer cart and even though It was downhill I was not looking forward to it. My Father in law decided to sacrifice some soybeans to make the trip easier and we got him in the back of the kubota utv and got him out.

I took him out to my buddies shop and local watering hole for celebration and to skin and half him and cape him out. He weighed 220 lbs field dressed, stood 39" tall at the front shoulders and has the biggest head and neck Ive ever seen on a buck, pictures do not even begin to do this buck justice. We all guessed him at 5.5 + based on the body appearance and shape. I am going to send in a tooth for official aging and see what he comes back as. We did a quick score and came up with 129 7/8 gross and 128 3/8 net. When you see the rack in person youd swear he would score way more than that but its so tough with an 8 point. I am absolutely on cloud nine and still loving every second of it.. He is going to the taxidermist this morning and will be returning on a Joe Coombs 5700 wall pedestal left turn, same form different direction as last years buck.

I have more pics I will add after I get them off the cell phone, but these will get you an idea for now.

C&T Archery
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/ctarchery?ref=hl

Re: Fred is dead, the story of my first Pope and Young white

Unread postby C&T Archery » Sun Oct 26, 2014 1:27 am

Congrats Brad!

[ Post made via Android ] Image
http://www.ctarchery.com
email: sales@ctarchery.com

[glow=red]Farmers Insurance -- Chad Ratzburg Agency
FOR A FREE LOOK AT YOUR AUTO, HOME, ATV, BOAT, LIFE OR BUSINESS INSURANCE NEEDS. PM ME OR EMAIL ME
Email: cratzburg@farmersagent.com
[/glow]
Dabowhunter

Unread postby Dabowhunter » Sun Oct 26, 2014 1:29 am

Very nice! Congrats on a great buck and great story!
U.P. bownut
500 Club

Unread postby U.P. bownut » Sun Oct 26, 2014 1:34 am

Great job on a beautiful buck Brad!!
"Freedom Isn't Free"
PLB
500 Club

Unread postby PLB » Sun Oct 26, 2014 1:34 am

Wow!!! Great buck man! Huge congrats!! Fully mature tank of an eight point!! Great shot too!!! I would love to see the recovery video with the raw emotions!! Congrats again 8-)

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Obsession Bows
Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Sun Oct 26, 2014 1:38 am

Congrats Brad :clap: :clap: Great buck and story :dance: :dance:

Do you have another buck tag? The best time of the year is coming up!
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Sun Oct 26, 2014 1:46 am

8-) Congrats
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Sun Oct 26, 2014 1:48 am

Congrats Brad! Long overdue!

PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Sun Oct 26, 2014 1:53 am

Very happy for you my friend.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
seazofcheeze
500 Club

Unread postby seazofcheeze » Sun Oct 26, 2014 1:57 am

Great buck, congrats man!

whitetail007
500 Club

Unread postby whitetail007 » Sun Oct 26, 2014 2:11 am

congrats Brad, great deer
I BELIEVE IN PEACE.........THROUGH SUPERIOR FIREPOWER!
purebowhunting
500 Club

Unread postby purebowhunting » Sun Oct 26, 2014 2:13 am

Great buck brad, congrats on reaching your goal!

olivertractor
Facebook: what's facebook

Unread postby olivertractor » Sun Oct 26, 2014 2:14 am

Nice buck brad, congrats!

"Sad state of affairs when I'm voting for who's gonna hurt us less, than who's gonna help us more"
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Sun Oct 26, 2014 2:26 am

That buck is a stud Brad. Really happy for you. I like to see guys get rewarded like yourself after all the hard work and effort you put into it. Congrats again on a super nice buck. :D :D :D
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.

• Advertisement

Return to “Kill Zone”