DE bow buck

Share and Showcase your hunting success stories.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Wlog
500 Club

DE bow buck

Unread postby Wlog » Wed Oct 22, 2014 3:13 pm

Yesterday afternoon I hustled to get done work on time. I already had my pass for the evening from the wife. I left work at 3:30 and headed home. Naturally I got behind every school bus and hit every red light.

I got to the house, hugged the kids and loaded up my stuff. I left the house and before I get out of the driveway I noticed I was on E. I fly over to the gas station (at exactly the speed limit of course). Finally I pull into the farm at around 4:45. I almost turned around on the way there because of how late it was.

I've left this spot alone since the first week of September. This spot is a grass corridor in between standing corn and thick swamp. There is primary buck bedding on the opposite side of the swamp on a hill side that goes up to neighboring farm field and a sand quarry.

There is a small area about 30 yards wide where the thick cover opens up and the deer typically exit there. Whenever there is a buck using the beds on the hillside that opening is tore up with rubs and scrapes.

I got to my tree. It's the only tree you can get a stand in within shooting distance of the exit route. I set my stand about seven foot off the ground to take advantage of the only cover around the tree. This is the same tree I killed my piebald buck out of last year.
I was settled in the stand around 5:15.

Fifteen minutes after I get up there were four does that came out 75 yards from me and went over into the corn. Half an hour before dark I hear something over in some phragmites along the exit route then the buck pops out and jumps over a fallen tree. I knew from the first glance this was a deer I was going to shoot. He comes over to the edge of the thicket and stops to scan the grass corridor in front of him.

It felt like forever and I started to feel my heart thumping in my chest. He makes his way out and I eased my bow back. Just as I get it anchored he stops under a licking branch and quarters towards me a little. I thought to myself you have plenty of time. TAKE YOUR TIME!

I'd like to tell you I followed my own advice but as soon as he started to turn broadside I touched off the shot. The arrow zipped through him but I knew it was a little lower and far back than desirable. That chip shot that you stack your arrows the size of a golf ball in the back yard is completely different with a big buck in front of you. The buck lunged forward and hunched his back like he was gut shot. After going about 20 yards he stopped and looked back then put his head down and started walking forward. I could tell he was hurting but how bad? I knocked another arrow and tried to get another arrow in him. I held my 40 yard pin on his vitals and let go as he slowly walked forward. The shot looked beautiful arching through the air heading for his vitals but went just under him and hit him in the back of the opposite front leg. Three inches higher would have been a heart shot.

After the second shot he took off down the corridor and ran up into a grass wash that runs up in the corn field. After about ten minutes I got down and walked over to pick up my first arrow. The arrow was soaked with blood but had some white hair. At this point I was kind of unsure because the arrow didn't have any stomach matter on it. I wasn't sure if it was a gut shot, liver or possibly one lung.

I walked the long way around back to the truck and asked for some help and advice from other beast members in another thread. I went home for the long wait till morning. I finally fell asleep around 12:00 and was wide awake by 3:30 am. Later in the morning my Dad stopped by and rode over with me to help look.

When we came around to the last place I saw the buck he was laying dead fifteen yards away. THANK GOD!!!

Finally a lucky break!

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding.
Zap

Re: DE bow buck

Unread postby Zap » Wed Oct 22, 2014 3:15 pm

Nice!

:mrgreen:
"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".
Wlog
500 Club

Unread postby Wlog » Wed Oct 22, 2014 3:18 pm

Dressed 185lbs.

Taxidermist figured him 4.5 based on tooth wear, distance between pedicels and skull structure.

Didn't put a tape measure to him but the taxi was pretty confident he would go 140's.

I'm happy it ended well. This is my best buck!

Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Wed Oct 22, 2014 3:19 pm

Great buck and story wlog! :clap:

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Thermals
500 Club

Unread postby Thermals » Wed Oct 22, 2014 3:21 pm

Nice job and I like that extra tine coming out.

Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Wed Oct 22, 2014 3:21 pm

I bet that buck could do some damage in a fight with that hook above his left eye. Very unique :dance:

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Wlog
500 Club

Unread postby Wlog » Wed Oct 22, 2014 3:25 pm

When we skinned out the face at the taxi, you could see that there was another point broke off right at the base of that small point.

PLB
500 Club

Unread postby PLB » Wed Oct 22, 2014 3:32 pm

That's a real good buck!!! Huge congrats! Looks big and mature...

Obsession Bows
Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks
Bigdaddy-yoyo
500 Club

Unread postby Bigdaddy-yoyo » Wed Oct 22, 2014 3:41 pm

nice going.....great story and Buck :clap:
PLB
500 Club

Unread postby PLB » Wed Oct 22, 2014 3:42 pm

By the way that's what you call an eye guard!! :shock:

Obsession Bows
Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Wed Oct 22, 2014 3:45 pm

Dandy buck for sure.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
phishy
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/james.harbaugh.94

Unread postby phishy » Wed Oct 22, 2014 3:47 pm

big 8's are my holy grail.. i've missed three of them with bow and one w/ the gun in my hunting career...

140 class 8 ptr is very nice...congrats!!!
Happiness is 10% what happens to us and 90% how we react to it, so with that happiness is a choice one can consciously make, although often challenged by what happens to us, it is a choice nonetheless.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Wed Oct 22, 2014 5:06 pm

Awesome buck! Congrats! :clap:

wibowhntr

Unread postby wibowhntr » Wed Oct 22, 2014 5:07 pm

Congrats on a great buck!
Ack

Unread postby Ack » Wed Oct 22, 2014 6:05 pm