Widebrow down

Share and Showcase your hunting success stories.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Mike

Widebrow down

Unread postby Mike » Wed Oct 01, 2014 1:16 pm

Heres the story of the hunt for a buck we dubbed widebrow...this buck has been the biggest buck we were getting consistently on cam this summer, and we had been getting weekly pics of him. Opening day my brother had him come thru at 20 yards, but had neglected to cut a key shooting lane and never had a clear shot til he was at 40 yards, too far for him to shoot.

With the big temp change and 5:19 moon time on 9/29, it was looking to be a good hunt potentially. Usually I try to hunt food on the good moon days but decided to hunt a transition area on a ridge above food. I came in the backdoor to this ridge and realized there was a brand alfalfa field on the opposite side of the ridge as well, prime food on both sides!

I access thru a pasture that has either horses or cows, and there were horses in there today, running crazy. As I was getting close to my stand I cut a fresh blood trail, which was weird. The horses congregated 5 feet from my stand and wouldn't move as I approached them...thats when I noticed one of them was tore up! The front of the horse just above where legs meet the body and under a back leg as well were gashed up. My two thoughts were it got tangled in a fence or there is a cougar around. The horses were acting weird and wouldn't move west so I knocked an arrow and backed up to a woven fence. My wife works with big cats and said they will attack from behind and you will not hear them, so I sat and scanned to trees and area for 10-15 minutes. The horses came right past me and headed back east after a big so I slowly got up in the stand.

This stand is only 8 feet tall and located about 5 feet onto my land, I actually shot a 300lb buck out of this stand a couple years ago, but that was early oct, and I wasn't sure if bucks would be using the ridge top this early in the year.

First deer out was a 2 year old 8, followed by a year old 8, they came thru the shooting lane perfect and I believe were heading to the alfalfa, but as they approached the fence crossing they could see the horses and didn't like them. They didn't snort but ran back into the brush for a little bit, then came back to check if the horses were gone. Once again they ran back in the brush. Next thing I see is a nice rack, I pulled up my binos and decided it was a shooter. I expected him to follow the same route as the other bucks, but he stood looking around for a couple minutes. He hugged the edge of the opening as he investigated the horses and ended up giving me about an 8 yard shot at about 5:40pm

Not sure if I was over confident or what but the arrow hit about 5 inches to the right of where I was aiming, and it hit shoulder with a good amount of arrow sticking out. For the next 15 seconds or a lot of vulgar language ran thru my thoughts, thinking I just blew a gimme shot, then I heard a crash and two death moans. I felt a ton of relief but still hung tight for a little bit just to be sure. After another 15 I headed out, glad to not be walking out in the dark because of the horse thing!

We came back after dark with some help and he died within 40 yards, I did get enough penetration to put him down fast after all.

We weigh with the guts in and he was 275lb, our 2nd heaviest to date. Also I posted a clip of him earlier this year for 'guess the score' and I came up with 151 and change. This was my 3rd hunt of the year, and second big buck encounter.

He has a tine that goes backwards on the L beam, and the tip of the g3 broke off but somehow reattached to the tine, with the point still sticking up. Ive never seen that before.

seazofcheeze
500 Club

Re: Widebrow down

Unread postby seazofcheeze » Wed Oct 01, 2014 1:20 pm

What a slob, great buck and great story.
PLB
500 Club

Unread postby PLB » Wed Oct 01, 2014 1:21 pm

Nice looking buck Mike! Congrats man!! Is that a little bit of a smile in the first pic?? :shock: :lol:

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Obsession Bows
Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks
tmarbut

Unread postby tmarbut » Wed Oct 01, 2014 1:24 pm

Congrats! Great buck and a cool story.

Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Wed Oct 01, 2014 1:26 pm

GJ and I REALLY like the pics, congrats! 8-)

[ Post made via Android ] Image
tcop7
500 Club

Unread postby tcop7 » Wed Oct 01, 2014 1:27 pm

Congrats! :clap: What an awesome buck!
[glow=green]Experience Is What You Get When You Didn't Get What You Wanted![/glow]

[glow=blue]McLaughlin Athletic Center[/glow]
[glow=blue]Northwest Ohio's Youth Sports Complex![/glow]
[dropshadow=blue]Visit us at --->[/dropshadow]http://www.macgymohio.com/ [dropshadow=blue]<---[/dropshadow]
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Wed Oct 01, 2014 1:28 pm

8-)
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
welded34
500 Club

Unread postby welded34 » Wed Oct 01, 2014 1:34 pm

Awesome story! Congrats on the slob! Watch out for those cougars lol

Haus86

Unread postby Haus86 » Wed Oct 01, 2014 1:35 pm

Great buck Mike!
RED OAK

Unread postby RED OAK » Wed Oct 01, 2014 1:40 pm

Congrats again Mike. Great buck.

Swampbuck

Unread postby Swampbuck » Wed Oct 01, 2014 1:46 pm

Impressive buck!! Congrats.. still wondering what's the deal with the horses??

Make It Happen
dreaming bucks

Unread postby dreaming bucks » Wed Oct 01, 2014 1:47 pm

Congrats Mike, well done!!

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Wed Oct 01, 2014 1:47 pm

:dance: :clap: :D 8-)
Philski

Unread postby Philski » Wed Oct 01, 2014 1:51 pm

Good story-good buck. Congrats. Is that a Wisconsin buck? Any info on what happened to the bleeding horse?

• Advertisement

Return to “Kill Zone”