Turning point/ reccomended books.

Share and Showcase your hunting success stories.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

bigwoodsmn

Unread postby bigwoodsmn » Tue Nov 04, 2014 8:31 am

Exophysical wrote:
hunter_mike wrote:I have a feeling I will be receiving at least one or two of the books mentioned specifically in this thread for christmas :mrgreen:

By now I've bought and read most of them and I have to agree that Hal Blood's book is deffinatly the best. Larry Benoit was an entertaining read once I got over his weird, aggressive way of saying everything and decided that he probably wasn't a jerk, he just seems that way sometimes. As was stated it is inspiring, it will get you motivated, as a reference it is somewhat lacking IMO.

Bill Vasnis book was also good and as a reference its better than "How to bag the biggest buck of your life" but as far as reading it in years to come and picking out stuff I've missed I don't see it happening.

Big Woods bucks is great in pretty much every way, lots of info, easy to read. The most important part of big timber hunting is reading the sign and Hal covers that very thoroughly. Where as the other two authors hunt their own signature way and suggest staying home under certain conditions Hal, being a guide, knows that not everyone is wired to hunt the same way and also knows that not everyone has all season to cherry pick the best days to hunt in their preferred method. He gives the reader lots of options to work with and knows how to roll with the punches and still make the most out of your time afield even when conditions aren't great. This book helped me "connect the dots" in that big timber hunting is not any one tactic but rather a collection of skills and knowledge... read the sign, asses the conditions, and hunt accordingly.

I agree the Hal Blood book is a gem -- scouting bottoms, signposts connecting to signposts, how and where to still-hunt - still hunting the speed of the sign, tracking in the snow, picking the right tracks, switching tracks... great stuff.

bigwoodsmn

Re: Turning point/ reccomended books.

Unread postby bigwoodsmn » Tue Nov 04, 2014 9:26 pm

Hal got some early snow and tracked and killed a decent buck yesterday / Monday. Classic.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

• Advertisement

Return to “Kill Zone”