Best solo hunt of my life, EVER.

Share and Showcase your hunting success stories.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

muddy

Best solo hunt of my life, EVER.

Unread postby muddy » Wed May 07, 2014 7:37 am

Yesterday my wife ended up sick, but by afternoon she felt better so I snuck out to the timber in hopes of getting my 2nd bird on the ground. Last spring I made a homemade "fan on a stick" and this spring I figured out a way to attach it onto the stabilizer of my bow.

Anyway, on the way to the farm I called another landowner that I hadn't gotten a hold of yet and asked for permission, he said yes, so mid way to one farm I ended up at another! I parked and got my fan put on the bow and decided that with the high wind I'd work the farm from the east side to the west just so the fan didn't move my bow around as badly. I was tooling down the first fence line, still in sight of the truck when I came over the first coolie in the alfalfa field. To my delight was a tom and 4 hens! I got the fan in front of my face and slowly crested the hill, hunkering down as I came over the crest. I sat for awhile while all 5 birds long necked me, but when they all went back to feeding I put my left leg out front, sat on the inside of my right ankle, leaned back on my right hand as a kick stand and started inching towards them. Almost immediately the gobbler was on alert, so I just sat there baking in the sun. He went back to feeding away from me and I just inched forward bit by bit again. For every foot I'd go forward, he'd make it 5 or 6 feet away from me, I was losing ground fast. The hens decided that they were going to feed out of the field and into a ditch, as soon as that happened the gobbler started doing the same thing, problem was he was 60 yards further away than the hens were. Frazzled, I just decided to sit there turning the fan back and forth like a strutter would do. 5 minutes after the birds cleared the field I could still see the longbeard on the edge of the grass, then 2 hens came back into the alfalfa and started feeding my way. Even from 200 yards away I could see the color change on the longbeards head... his hackles had just done gotten up and he dropped into 3/4 strut and started my way. 30 seconds later he came out of the grassy ditch and into the alfalfa with the hens, but he didn't stop there, he went into full blown strut and charged on a full run! A buddy of mine said, you'll know it when they commit, they'll be on a bee line and you can do jumping jacks with that fan and they'll keep a coming. Anyway, this bird was committed, at about 25 yards I knew I was going to get a shot... at 15 yards I drew back... at 8 yards I got WORRIED... at 8 yards the bird was still in full sprint strut and he suddenly did what I can only explain as a killer Jordan crossover type move. He suddenly started doing very short strut movements, first to the left, showing his right side, then to the right, showing his left side... back and forth, back and forth, back and forth, but VERY quickly. It was an amazing display of turkey retardation and dominance!! Suddenly at 4 yards I'm at full draw, the bird squaring up to me and cocking his head out and back getting ready to rape, dominate, or both! I let him have it just at the base of his neck and the Dead Ringer Trauma ate him up, end of story. Total time it took for him to get from where he decided to commit to death was about 45 seconds I imagine.

He went into flop mode and I just sat back and soaked it in, laughing pretty hard about how comical the whole thing went down. First time fanning and I had just killed a bird. Upon further examination, a heck of a bird too boot.

Now I am hooked on fanning birds, I never thought it'd work, but am happily surprised by how well it actually did work. The longbeard even helped me get my camo repainted into nice red highlights.

http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Re: Best solo hunt of my life, EVER.

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Wed May 07, 2014 7:41 am

Awesome. I want to do this!

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Robert

Unread postby Robert » Wed May 07, 2014 7:47 am

Cool story and hunt! Congrats. Sounds like something i have to try next year since I'm tagged out this year. How did you attach it to your bow? Have any pictures of that?
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Wed May 07, 2014 7:59 am

I just took the rubber end off my stabilizer and drilled a hole in the dust pan my fan is zip tied too. Then put the rubber end bolt thru the dust pan and screwed it tight.

Schubox1265

Unread postby Schubox1265 » Wed May 07, 2014 8:03 am

Nice!
JAB
500 Club

Unread postby JAB » Wed May 07, 2014 8:03 am

Cool hunt Muddy, what a neat experience!

Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Wed May 07, 2014 8:08 am

Total awesomeness! !

Turkey retardation ....instant classic quote :lol:

muddy

Unread postby muddy » Wed May 07, 2014 8:09 am

Jackson Marsh wrote:Total awesomeness! !

Turkey retardation ....instant classic quote :lol:

I get a nickel every time it gets used now

Beast-Mode

Unread postby Beast-Mode » Wed May 07, 2014 8:12 am

Nice
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Wed May 07, 2014 8:31 am

8-)

Someone needs to do this with a GoPro attached to their head! I gotta see this...
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
Dhurtubise
500 Club
Facebook: dhurtubise

Unread postby Dhurtubise » Wed May 07, 2014 8:33 am

I really want to experience this type of hunt. The only problem I have with it is that you have to make absolutely sure that you're the only one hunting around there.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Wed May 07, 2014 8:57 am

That is awesome Muddy! Best turkey story of the year!! :clap:

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
semperfidelis

Unread postby semperfidelis » Wed May 07, 2014 9:35 am

U had me cracking up! Great story!

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Spysar
500 Club

Unread postby Spysar » Wed May 07, 2014 9:39 am

Awesome dude!!! :dance:
A buck will see you three times, and hear you twice, but he's only gonna smell you once.
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Wed May 07, 2014 9:53 am

8-)
HUNT LIKE A BEAST

• Advertisement

Return to “Kill Zone”