Public Land Archery Double

Share and Showcase your hunting success stories.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

muddy

Public Land Archery Double

Unread postby muddy » Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:33 am

On Friday last week my buddy Moose and I headed to some public land in search of gobblers. We managed to get exactly where we wanted to be without spooking a bird off roost. Dawn provided gobbles in all of the right places. We were on an old logging road, on a ridge side, just off the top bench overlooking a creek bottom. We had 3 gobblers to our North and 3 to our Southeast, one of which was visible from our blind. Sporadic calling kept them interested without spooking them and shortly after fly down we had 2 birds working towards my DSDs. About this time my phone buzzed and I got a disturbing email to which I started grumbling over and Moose hissed, "QUIET, here comes 2!"

I grabbed my Bear Kodiak Magnum recurve (one of my Dads collection) and knocked a giant old heavy cedar arrow tipped with a 150 grain Zwickey broadhead. At 6 steps the gobbler started to push my DSD jake around. When I drew back everything went into slow motion... snap shooting with a recurve takes a second but I distinctly remember all the old instructions my Dad would tell me as I shot when I was a kid. Breathe, draw, aim, anchor, relax, release, follow through, exhale.... At the end of the shot a big ol longbeard lay flopping by my decoy with a severed spine. Got lucky, a half inch higher and I'd have missed, caught the spine and that was it. Better lucky than good I guess!!

As I tried to calm down we had another gobbler start working in almost immediately. My bird was still flopping when bird #2 ran up and Moose shot forward thru the breast feathers, the bird flew off none the worse for wear. I was still going batcrapcrazy when I looked out the back of the blind and yet another gobbler was there with a hen. Minutes later the hen walked by the blind about 2 feet away, I'm not kidding. She came up to the DSD upright hen and started flogging and pecking her in the head!! This got the 3rd gobbler all in a tizzy and he came running up also to beat on the DSD jake deek. Moose again shot forward, this time severeing some of the birds beard!! Both turkeys ran off a little bit but soon calmed down. The hen and tom stayed around for another 45 minutes and when they started to work off we got shuffled around and Moose got an arrow into him at 30 yards!! The bird ran off looking HURT but we still gave him time. We got out to admire my bird first, then started recovering arrows.

Arrow stuck into a tree behind the bird.

We recovered all of Mooses ammo and put the hound dog track job on the bird. A long blood trail led to a nice 2 year old gobbler piled into some leaves.

We got everything back to the blind and took a nice hero shot.

I had to think real hard to think of a better turkey hunt and honestly cannot. I've had some good hunts but never one that had this much close up in your face action with so many adult birds in so little time.... and with such good success!! The fact I got my very first traditional kill is the trumping frosting on the cake. I get excited from time to time, but if you ever meet Moose ask him how I was in the blind when that bird hit the ground. Literally I was shaking so hard the blind was moving, I could not talk, and the emotion was just pouring out like crazy. I'm hooked on traditional shooting now, in fact in the past few months part of my absence from forums is because I've been shooting all of my Dads stick bows in the back yard and getting all 60+ of them shootable. That's a lot of new bow strings!! Anyway, I'm going to wait on a 4th season tag and hopefully "Fan one in" to the bow or shotgun. I hope everyone has some success this spring. Later.

This bird has great hooks but we couldn't get him to "limb hang" so I gave up and got it done another way. =) So far this is my favorite pic, it's brought a lot of laughs.

Limb Hanger

http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
wiscbowhntr
500 Club

Re: Public Land Archery Double

Unread postby wiscbowhntr » Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:38 am

Hammertime
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:39 am

8-)
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
UPbowhunter
Facebook: todd freeman

Unread postby UPbowhunter » Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:08 am

Love it Mud! Congrats we open sat.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Go Go Epic Stuff, Seek Wilderness
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:20 am

:clap: :clap: :clap:
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:22 am

Killing a turkey with traditional equipment is incredible but the fact you did it with a bow from your Dad's collection is priceless!! Way to go Muddy! :clap:

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
solocam88
500 Club

Unread postby solocam88 » Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:31 am

Nice job with the stick bow

Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:42 am

8-)

Good shootn Tex`
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:52 am

8-)
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
whitetailassasin

Unread postby whitetailassasin » Tue Apr 22, 2014 11:41 am

Awesome!!!

Black Squirrel
500 Club

Unread postby Black Squirrel » Tue Apr 22, 2014 12:23 pm

:clap: 8-)
JohnnieU

Unread postby JohnnieU » Tue Apr 22, 2014 12:46 pm

I'm hoping to put one down with a compound, but you got it done with your Dad's old stick bow, congrats!
welded34
500 Club

Unread postby welded34 » Tue Apr 22, 2014 1:06 pm

Congrats!

welded34
500 Club

Unread postby welded34 » Tue Apr 22, 2014 1:06 pm

Congrats!