2013 The Last Hunt of the Year

Share and Showcase your hunting success stories.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Tadmdad
500 Club

2013 The Last Hunt of the Year

Unread postby Tadmdad » Sat Jan 04, 2014 2:50 pm

Our 2013 Missouri Muzzleloader hunt is in the books and was a short 5 day hunt. Some changes for this hunt, last year we invited 2 new guys on the hunt with us. What we didn't realize, is these 2 fellas, called the farmer and booked up the farms that we had been hunting the last several years. And they invited 6 more of their buddies on the hunt. We were outside, looking in, figured OK we will hunt elsewhere.

Three of us been doing this hunt for a few years, we look at this as a "fun hunt" and much different style of hunt than we do in the remote bigwoods each year. Met a farmer several years ago, and kept his phone number. Gave him a call, "he says sure, come on down, you can hunt the farm and stay in my huntin' shack. So we did just that, he has a polebarn, which half is a barn and half is a cabin, maybe 600 sq./ft. The farm is 220 acres of good whitetail habitat, typical farm fields and small woodlots. We cyber scout the farm, listen to the farmer about deer movement, we hunt the farm for 2 days with several small bucks seen, but this area has a 4pt a side MAR, no legal bucks and by tracks and sign, the property isn't holding many good deer.

The weather has been in the low 40's the first 2 days, and snow is soft and melting. As the weather turns cold on day 3, the snow refreezes and gets very loud. We spook out quite a few deer the 3rd morning, going to stands in the darkness.The 3 of us meet up after the morning hunt, we all agree time to change up the game plan. The area has several small public hunting/conservation areas, we spend the rest of the day driving around looking at these public lands. Day 4 finds us mobile, hunting 1 of the public areas, with only 2 deer spotted, the deer aren't moving, but the area has good sign. Time for another change of plan, we look over some aerials, and plan a couple of 3 man deer drives. The first 2 drives, we post one guy and 2 drive towards him, traditional drive. We see deer, but with the noisy snow conditions, the deer are moving and running out to the side, long before they get to the poster. We all agree, we need to slow down, more of a nudge hunt tactic. The last drive of the day, we work a drainage with 2 fingers and all slowly move towards each other. When my 2 buddies get within a 100 yards of each other, a nice 140 class buck busts out of cover, one buddy misses a 30 yard shot, as the buck comes past me at mach 3, I pick a spot and fire, a 60 yard shot, see the buck flinch but keeps going. I follow up the shot and find hair at the point of the shot, but no blood, believe I grazed hair off the front of the chest, follow for almost 1/2 mile, close but clean miss, one lucky buck.

Day 5 the last day of the hunt, we continue to do nudge type hunts, we have 3 either sex tags and 3 doe tags, time for some venison. Early afternoon, me and 1 of my buddies slow push a small block of woods and post our other buddy on a ridge top. This buddy shoots 5 times and kills 1 doe at 285 yards, good shot with a muzzleloader. He was out of position for where the deer were coming out, but sees 19 deer, and has one BIG smile on his face, says "man that was fun","lots of shooting and only have to drag 1 deer, my kind of hunt".

The last drive of the day, 3/4 mile long drainage with 2 fingers that blend into 1 deep ravine. Drop both of my buddies off, drive around to the other end, and post. Within 5 minutes see 2 does slip by and let them walk, then I hear one of my buddies shoot from the other end, several minutes later, have 12 does come running by along the edge of a field, think about taking a shot, but they are 150 yards and on the move, I pass. Turn back and notice 2 deer moving along the bottom of the ravine, first thought buck, and both are bucks. At 70 yards, give them a mouth grunt, both bucks freeze, the first buck is a 6pt and not legal and is staring right at me, the 2nd buck is larger but behind cover and can't get a good look at him. We all know how time seems to stand still at this point, your busted and can't move. The bucks start to move, see 4pts on the 2nd buck, and I fire, buck drops in his tracks. The buck ends up being a 9pt, not large, but well earned.

My buddy had shot a doe early in the drive, and I kill a buck at the end, just before dark on the last day of the season, doesn't get much better. Good hunt, good friends, doing what we love to do, best of times.

As we load up the next morning, the farmer is giving us grief about how we killed, "the whole family" :lol:

The group of 8 guys that hunted the private farms, we had been hunting, killed 1 buck. At the end of last years hunt, pulled my stand from a spot on one of the farms, one of the guys went with me, and asked a bunch of questions about why I was hunting "there". Explained why, and how I approached the stand. Guess who killed the one buck? And from what tree? Yup, the guy that played 20 question with me from last year.

Guess the lesson from this hunt could be summed up in one word. Adapt

Jackson Marsh

Re: 2013 The Last Hunt of the Year

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Sat Jan 04, 2014 3:26 pm

Kind of a raw deal by guys you invited to hunt with you. Way to adapt and have a successful hunt! :clap:

[ Post made via Android ] Image
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Sat Jan 04, 2014 3:28 pm

Wow. Not sure what to say about the buddy situation…

But your hunt sounded awesome. Congrats.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
kurt

Unread postby kurt » Sat Jan 04, 2014 3:36 pm

Good hunt.

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Sat Jan 04, 2014 11:41 pm

8-)
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Sat Jan 04, 2014 11:45 pm

Good story. Congrats!
Southern Man
500 Club

Unread postby Southern Man » Sun Jan 05, 2014 1:16 am

Great buck, congrats.
You Can't Argue With A Sick Mind
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Sun Jan 05, 2014 1:20 am

Just for the record Tad, I would never do that to you ;)

Awesome story of details and success - I love it!
Gr8 job!!!
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sun Jan 05, 2014 1:49 am

Guys stealing your spots after your generous with them? Been there done that. Thats why most people who hunt a lot are secretive. Its sad it has to be that way.

Certainly some lessons to be learned from your hunt story... Most guys hunting this way would of gotten as far as the 1st private farm you hunted and tried all week to make that work, and would not of adapted tactics. This is probably the key between "good" and "great hunters.
Anybody can kill deer when things go as planned. Those that can adapt to conditions and obstacles, and find ways to over come problems like crunchy snow, or lack of deer, are the ones that succeed.

I think some people feel they will fail if they try something new... But really, failure is in the eyes of the beholder and you only fail if you choose to.
Trying something different, a change in tactics, change in area, leaving the private for public, etc. Can only strengthen you. Even if you kill or seeno deer, I certainly wouldn't call that failure.

Congrats on another great hunt Tad, you certainly shared some great lessons, and it looks like you learned one yourself. 8-)
Spysar
500 Club

Unread postby Spysar » Sun Jan 05, 2014 2:23 am

Two "friends" kinda weaseled their way in. That totally sucks. Kinda why I'm starting to go silent on the hunts I do. I consider myself a nobody, but have noticed people trying to do what I do. It's a shame cause I'd help anyone who asks me. I put lots of friends on bucks, too many to count.

I'm glad to see you had the attitude to adapt and conquer. See what good karma gets you? A nice hunt with friends topped with a nice buck.
A buck will see you three times, and hear you twice, but he's only gonna smell you once.
Tadmdad
500 Club

Unread postby Tadmdad » Sun Jan 05, 2014 3:08 am

dan wrote:Guys stealing your spots after your generous with them? Been there done that. Thats why most people who hunt a lot are secretive. Its sad it has to be that way.

Certainly some lessons to be learned from your hunt story... Most guys hunting this way would of gotten as far as the 1st private farm you hunted and tried all week to make that work, and would not of adapted tactics. This is probably the key between "good" and "great hunters.
Anybody can kill deer when things go as planned. Those that can adapt to conditions and obstacles, and find ways to over come problems like crunchy snow, or lack of deer, are the ones that succeed.

[glow=red]I think some people feel they will fail if they try something new... But really, failure is in the eyes of the beholder and you only fail if you choose to.
Trying something different, a change in tactics, change in area, leaving the private for public, etc. Can only strengthen you. Even if you kill or seeno deer, I certainly wouldn't call that failure.[/glow]

Congrats on another great hunt Tad, you certainly shared some great lessons, and it looks like you learned one yourself. 8-)

Certainly some words of wisdom there, Dan. We have certainly discussed motivation of success and failure many times, and also why we will always be a student of the animals we pursue. The failure comes when we quit learning or trying, we can only beat ourselves.
Last edited by Tadmdad on Sun Jan 05, 2014 3:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tadmdad
500 Club

Unread postby Tadmdad » Sun Jan 05, 2014 3:15 am

Edcyclopedia wrote:Just for the record Tad, I would never do that to you ;)

Awesome story of details and success - I love it!
Gr8 job!!!

Just for the record, Ed......we should plan to do one of these types of hunts. Look forward to that time. ;)
Tadmdad
500 Club

Unread postby Tadmdad » Sun Jan 05, 2014 3:23 am

Really don't have an issue with the guys that booked up the farms, they did what they thought was right. The picture of the buck was sent to me by the guy that shot it and is his best buck he has ever taken. He was very excited about this buck, heard the whole story and he thanked me, fair enough, was glad to help. But it also forced us to try a new area, adapt to the conditions and have an enjoyable hunt, really no downside to that.
Brad

Unread postby Brad » Sun Jan 05, 2014 3:57 am

Sounds like another fun hunt! Way to stick with it and "adapt". Very pretty buck too, has good coloring and the rack is nice and balanced.
wibowhntr

Unread postby wibowhntr » Sun Jan 05, 2014 4:10 am

Congrats on your buck and having to adapt to the situation!

• Advertisement

Return to “Kill Zone”