Pre-Wedding Buck

Share and Showcase your hunting success stories.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Bigb
500 Club

Pre-Wedding Buck

Unread postby Bigb » Wed Dec 18, 2013 2:00 pm

Sorry, this story is a little late but I've been busy with wedding and hunting to upload pics and write the story.

In February my now wife wanted to have a destination wedding and wanted to have it in November. "November?" I said, "November, during the rut, during deer season, I'm sorry, but we need to find another time" I knew as those words came out of my mouth I was going to get one of those looks we all fear from our lady. Well, That look came and after some explanations and begging she said we can do it in late October. Well, it wasn't the most ideal time but if I wanted this wedding to actually happen, it would have to do.

Fast forward to last October. Due to having the wedding in Mexico on October 26th and having to get there a full week before my October hunting would be at a minimum and I would only be able to hunt my urban spot right outside Chicago by my parents house. I had my usual trail camera up and had been getting about 7 different bucks over the course of the summer but very few does. The year before we had a lot of deer on camera up until late September when they disappeared so I had good hopes for this spot but still cautious. This is an area where no one else hunts. I am about positive that no one hunts within 4 miles at least since this is the only unincorporated land around and all the houses in this area are $750,000 to $4,000,0000+. Its an area I hope to afford one day! The thing with this area though is our friends and neighbors hate the deer and ask that we shoot whatever we can. While they aren't always around, there are a good amount in the neighborhoods and they have no predators. The good thing is there house borders a big forest preserve and with a fence around one side of it there deer have a spot by a creek that they an walk around it, making it a nice funnel.

The fun part about this spot is that my father has a small pop up blind that he hunts in a lot in October and November and has it all set up with a nice reclining office chair and a small table to so he can sit there with his crossbow, read or text and just relax. It nice since he's 70 and I think he's more into hunting than he has been in 20 years. He doesn't care about antlers, he's all about filling the freezer with deer sticks and jerky.

Opening day comes October 1st and due to work and warm weather we weren't going to be able to get out until the following Sunday. My dad had sat about 20 or so times the year before and only saw one doe and he shot her, but that was after about 12 sits. Due to his lack of sightings, I was worried that it might continue this year. I got a text from him saying he as going to head out at halftime of the Bears game and I told him I'd probably make it up right after the game, leaving the city after the third quarter. Well, halfway through the 3rd quarter I get a couple picture texts and think to myself, "no way". Sure enough, he got into his blind, set his stuff down and three minutes later a small basket 6 point walks out and the first deer is down for the year. I was pleasantly surprised and very happy!

Well, next sit out was a few days later and both of us were there. He only sits about 35 yards from me but we are in some thicker woods so I can just make out his pop up blind. During that sit, three bucks ran right by both of us, apparently spooked by our friend that lives in the house. No shots but good to have three deer run through my main shooting lane at 8 yards.

The following Sunday rolls around. Its the last day that I'll be able to hunt before we head to mexico of the wedding. My father and I head out there and begin our sit. This area is close to a major highway so the noise there is VERY loud. You can get away with just about any sound you want. When we trim in the summer, we have to yell to each other if we are more than 15 yards apart .

We make it in and once I'm in for a few minutes I text my dad. We go back and forth for a few minutes then I sit back and relax. I can't say its super relaxing due to the highway noise, but at least I'm in a tree. 5 PM comes along and all of a sudden I hear a snap to my left and see a deer running through about 20 yards . WIthin tow seconds I have my bow off its hook and drawn. I see its a buck and know he's a shooter. He runs by my 8 yard hole as I'm drawing but as he about to hit my 16 yard and he slams on the brakes. I'm at full draw waiting for two more steps to hit my lane. He stands there for 30 seconds and turns back around, coming back to my 8 yard lane!

See, right before I left the city that day I had a bottle of doe in heat pee in my fridge. I thought I might as well bring it with and put some drops out. This buck was running by and I can almost guarantee he got a whiff of it and turned back around to investigate. As he walks back I'm still at full draw. He hits my lane at 8 yards and I let the Slick Trick Mag fly. Shot looks perfect. I watch him run by my dads blind and lose sight of him. My dad can see another 30 yards in the woods that I can't see. I grab my phone and text him as my hands are still shaking. He gives me the update on what the deer is doing and before I know it, I get a text that he's down!

My dad and I drag him out (about 40 yards) to our friends driveway, take a few pictures and tag him and off we go. We spend the next hour and a half skinning and quartering and were done. Quite a day!

The buck I shot was one that had just shown up on camera about 5 days before and was hanging with two bucks we had a lot of picture of. One was a goofy four point and the other a nice little 8 point. We had three other 130ish bucks out there but we never were able to see them. My dad actually did something I never thought he would do out there in November. While I was hunting in Central Illinois he sends me a text saying he passed a nice 6 point. Little did he know that the trail camera got it and it was a very nice 9 point. He let him go because he thinks he will be a giant next year, and I have to agree, if he makes it he should be a very nice buck.

Well, here he is. He's a nice 8 point. Not a giant that I'm after when I hunt in Central Illinois. I passed on deer bigger than him down there but they ask me to shoot whatever I legally can and since I was losing some time this fall with the wedding, he's well worth the tag!

Here is something most people don't post but I think its pretty cool. Since my dad could see the deer and I couldn't he was texting me what was going on. I guess when I shot, i clipped the heart with two blades. The deer ran about 40 yards and stood there for 30 seconds. He couldn't see any blood so he thought I had missed. It just took a dew seconds for him to low that I didn't miss. I think this screen shot of my phone is even better than the deer itself!! Very special to me!

BigHunt

Re: Pre-Wedding Buck

Unread postby BigHunt » Wed Dec 18, 2013 2:23 pm

8-)
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Wed Dec 18, 2013 2:35 pm

Congrats on the buck and the wedding BigB!!

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Dhurtubise
500 Club
Facebook: dhurtubise

Unread postby Dhurtubise » Wed Dec 18, 2013 3:21 pm

Great read. Thanks for sharing.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Wed Dec 18, 2013 5:06 pm

Very cool. Dandy buck also.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Wed Dec 18, 2013 9:04 pm

:clap:
You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.
Isoroku Yamamoto, Japanese Admiral
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Wed Dec 18, 2013 9:09 pm

:clap:
Uncle Lou

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Wed Dec 18, 2013 10:38 pm

Congrats. I got married in November 21 years ago. Wish you a long and successful marriage.
Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Thu Dec 19, 2013 12:10 am

Spectacular! :clap: :dance:
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Thu Dec 19, 2013 12:13 am

Congrats, nice buck.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Thu Dec 19, 2013 12:16 am

Congrats! :dance:
Black Squirrel
500 Club

Unread postby Black Squirrel » Thu Dec 19, 2013 7:07 am

Cool, Congrats!
Dewey