Muzzleloader Bucker

Share and Showcase your hunting success stories.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Knute78
500 Club

Re: Muzzleloader Bucker

Unread postby Knute78 » Tue Oct 15, 2013 6:32 am

You give me so much faith that my move to Florida will be ok! LOL...congrats!

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

Genesis 27:3

"Now then, please take your gear, your quiver and your bow, and go out to the field and hunt game for me;"
BGHUNTER
Facebook: bgrangerhunter@live.com

Unread postby BGHUNTER » Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:41 am

Great Job. :clap:
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:05 am

Thanks guys.

mt008 wrote:Nice! :D What do you do if your that far back in the cypress at night? :shock: That would make for an interesting drag out... congrats!

It's the same basic principle, just keep pulling until you reach the truck. Lol. It's just darker and you get ripped up by mosquitoes!

dan wrote:8-) NICE!
Wouldn't floating him out down there be considered trolling for gators? :lol:

Czabs wrote:Sweet! 8-) Nice shooting :clap:

Any snakes in that cypress hollow!? :shock: :?

Snakes and Gators generally slither out of your way, anything on public land that wants to keep from getting holes in it's hide learns real quick to steer clear of the bi-pedalers...lol. But don't get me wrong, being that I was by myself, my head was on a constant swivel.

Knute78 wrote:You give me so much faith that my move to Florida will be ok! LOL...congrats!

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

You will be fine as long as your expectations are reasonable. This was a huge chunk of land with lots of hunting so far this year and this was only the 4th and biggest buck taken so far and he won't break 100" and went a whopping 128lbs live and by his teeth I would guess him 3-4 years old... So you get what I am saying... There are less deer, they are small and the habitat can be, well, uninviting...

I strongly believe that these are some of the toughest bucks on earth, but man is it sweet when you connect with one.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:15 am

UntouchableNess wrote:Congrats!

I thought your rut was Dec/Jan?

I quit using the Hornady SST's in my ML because they fragged like grenades, went to the Hornady XTP.

That is only in the extreme western part of the state, mainly the panhandle. Rut starts South of me in July and kind of works it's way up NW through the state. Gives me multiple 'peak rut' hunting timeframes From Sept - Feb. I don't hunt south of my location otherwise I could hunt rutting bucks July-Feb throughout my home state, pretty cool.

Interesting. How much powder were you using? I only use 100 grains. My gun will not group with any sabot using 150 grains. My SST held up well, you can see it sticking to the front of his shoulder in the last pic. Completely mushroomed. I will look into the XTP though!
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Tue Oct 15, 2013 11:40 am

First off congrats!!

PalmettoKid wrote:
This is my first animal I have shot since switching from Powerbelts to Hornady SST, all I can say is WOW!

UntouchableNess wrote:
I quit using the Hornady SST's in my ML because they fragged like grenades, went to the Hornady XTP.

I shoot SSTs (or shockwaves, I am told its the same bullet) and yes they do frag at high speed. At moderate speeds (under 2000 fps) they seem to be OK. My load is 120 grains of blackhorn, pushing the .40 cal 200 grain bullets at over 2200 fps and and anything within 100 yards I need to be careful about where I want to hit the deer - no big bone on entry. I have seen the bullet just about blow a shoulder off a deer at close range on a quartering to shot and only bone fragments penetrated the chest and made it a quickly lethal shot, the bullet disintegrated. When they slow down over distance they seem to hold together better. Why I put up with that is they are capable of insane accuracy - sub MOA out of my gun. When I know exactly where i will put it fragging isn't a problem.
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Tue Oct 15, 2013 12:01 pm

Spectacular! :clap: :dance:
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
UntouchableNess
500 Club

Unread postby UntouchableNess » Tue Oct 15, 2013 12:35 pm

PalmettoKid wrote:
UntouchableNess wrote:Congrats!

Interesting. How much powder were you using? I only use 100 grains. My gun will not group with any sabot using 150 grains. My SST held up well, you can see it sticking to the front of his shoulder in the last pic. Completely mushroomed. I will look into the XTP though!

Savage smokeless ML10II, was shooting 45 grains of IMR4227 for powder. So I went from 250 grain SST to 250 grain XTP, now shooting 42.5 grains of SR4759.
moosehound

Unread postby moosehound » Tue Oct 15, 2013 4:57 pm

:clap:
I hunt whitetails all year long.
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Wed Oct 16, 2013 2:46 am

8-)

Congrats!
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Tue Nov 12, 2013 11:04 pm

Splatastic. Cngrats.
http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
GRUD
500 Club

Unread postby GRUD » Tue Nov 12, 2013 11:36 pm

Definately a good switch from Powerbelts. I never had good luck with Powerbelts either. Those Hornaday look like they really did some damage! I switched to 300gr Barnes expanders.
Hodag Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Hodag Hunter » Wed Nov 13, 2013 3:24 am

Congrats on the buck.

I don't think I could hunt in your area.....just looking at the pictures gives me the willys thinking about snakes. :o
addisonlee

Unread postby addisonlee » Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:34 am

Great story! Sounds like a hunt to remember for you and your son. Congrats! :clap:

• Advertisement

Return to “Kill Zone”