Youth Hunt Success

Share and Showcase your hunting success stories.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

wibowhntr

Youth Hunt Success

Unread postby wibowhntr » Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:46 pm

Saturday morning we crawled out of bed at 3:30 to get ready to head down to the public land in Clark County that we had scouted earlier this spring. We arrived down to our spot a little later than we had planned but because of all the rain we had Friday night we were able to sneak into the stand of oaks seemingly undetected. Here are a couple pics at that location:

Around 11am Jacob was getting a little restless and since we hadn't seen any deer we decided to walk down an old atv trail. Part way up the hill two deer took off from an oak flat but Jacob wasn't able to get a shot at either one. Not sure if there were bedded or if they were just feeding in the oaks. Here is a pic of Jacob walking down the atv trail:

After not having any success that morning we decided to head home and have some lunch and come up with a game plan for that evening. After lunch we decided to head out to a farm that is enrolled in the Voluntary Public Access program.

We arrived at the farm around 3pm and headed back to a hidden hay field that I had seen a bunch of deer in the Saturday before while bowhunting. On the way back there we bumped a buck that was bedded in fairly open woods but with the Eastern wind it made sense because he had vary thick pines he could get to quickly. If we would have been watching on that side of the trail instead of the other we may have seen him before he took off. After getting situated against some trees along a thick fence line we waited for the deer to show up. As time went on it started to get very windy and then began to pour so we decided to call it a night.

Sunday morning found us back out to the same farm but we set up in some oaks between a soy bean/corn field and a thick swamp where I assumed they would be going back to bed in by the trails leading that way. We were only able to hunt until about 8:30 so that we could make it on time for church. We didn't see any deer but were entertained by the squirrels and woodpeckers.

Originally we weren't going to hunt Sunday afternoon because I usually go to bed early since I have to be up at 11:30 pm for work. After talking with Jacob I could tell that he really wanted to go out again so I agreed. We headed back up to the same farm and decided to hunt off of another alfalfa field were we had seen a small buck and a bunch of does earlier in the week while glassing. Once out there we decided to sit about 50 yards off the field and down the hill in a fairly thick bottom. Around 6 pm Jacob was getting restless and wanting to sneak up to the field to see if there was any deer up there but I told him we would wait until about 6:40 before heading up there. At about 6:15 I caught movement down in front of us and saw that a deer was coming. I told Jacob to get ready. The doe must have seen him moving and stopped right behind a tree, but her curiosity got the best of her and she started walking forward to see what had been moving. I told Jacob as soon as he had a clear shot to take it. Within seconds the shot rang out and she took off obviously hurt. It sound like she crashed just out of our sight. Jacob was so excited that you would have thought he just killed a monster buck! After some high fives and texts to friends and family we headed down to see if we could find blood. We found a drop of blood where she was standing when he shot and then a few more drops. After that I couldn't find any more blood and started to try and figure out which trail she took. I then looked up and could see the white of her belly. I told Jacob to come over and he immediately saw her. When he shot we didn't really know how big she was but it turned out that she was a decent size doe. Here is Jacob with his doe(this is his second deer but the first one was shot as a stander on a drive):

I couldn't have been more happy for Jacob. As you can see in the picture with the doe that Jacob has a trach which makes it kind of hard for hunting because he has to cough frequently. But whether we see deer or not Jacob always has a positive attitude and just loves being out hunting! Now he's looking forward to trying to kill a buck during the regular gun season and hopefully you will see another post in the Kill Zone then :D

BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Re: Youth Hunt Success

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:53 pm

:clap:
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:59 pm

:clap: :dance: :D
C&T Archery
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/ctarchery?ref=hl

Unread postby C&T Archery » Wed Oct 09, 2013 1:01 pm

Congrats to Jacob! :clap:

[ Post made via Android ] Image
http://www.ctarchery.com
email: sales@ctarchery.com

[glow=red]Farmers Insurance -- Chad Ratzburg Agency
FOR A FREE LOOK AT YOUR AUTO, HOME, ATV, BOAT, LIFE OR BUSINESS INSURANCE NEEDS. PM ME OR EMAIL ME
Email: cratzburg@farmersagent.com
[/glow]
Uncle Lou

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Wed Oct 09, 2013 1:52 pm

Awesome Jacob. Congrats
Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Wed Oct 09, 2013 1:57 pm

Outstanding Jacob! Great shooting! :clap:

P&YBuck1
500 Club

Unread postby P&YBuck1 » Wed Oct 09, 2013 2:45 pm

Great story!
Great shot!
Great Deer!

Congratulations!

What type of weapon was he shooting?
wibowhntr

Unread postby wibowhntr » Wed Oct 09, 2013 4:56 pm

7mm-08 with Winchester 140 gr silvertip bullets.
Ridgerunner7
500 Club

Unread postby Ridgerunner7 » Wed Oct 09, 2013 11:04 pm

Great stuff!

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
westmibow

Unread postby westmibow » Wed Oct 09, 2013 11:40 pm

Great Job!!
Mario
ProStaff

Unread postby Mario » Thu Oct 10, 2013 12:45 am

Nice! :dance:
vanceg

Unread postby vanceg » Thu Oct 10, 2013 12:34 pm

Great story, that's what it's all about.
kurt

Unread postby kurt » Thu Oct 10, 2013 3:02 pm

:dance: :clap:
Czabs
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Behind-T ... 0697772652

Unread postby Czabs » Thu Oct 10, 2013 3:36 pm

Congrats to you and your son

Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Thu Oct 10, 2013 4:55 pm

Kudos to Jacob.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.

• Advertisement

Return to “Kill Zone”