MY FIRST TURKEY (+Double Beard, Public, Self Filmed, Storm)

Share and Showcase your hunting success stories.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

bowhunter15
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/DIY-Spor ... 3136327062

MY FIRST TURKEY (+Double Beard, Public, Self Filmed, Storm)

Unread postby bowhunter15 » Thu May 23, 2013 2:22 pm

I started turkey hunting in the spring of 2011. I went turkeyless that spring, the following fall, last spring (despite having 4 tags), and last fall. Even though I had no problem putting deer on the ground, it seemed like I had somewhat of a turkey curse. I even went had friends take me out on good land and try to guide me to my first bird. Each time, it turned out to the tune of "Sorry, it's not usually like this. The birds aren't cooperating this time." I stuck with it, and even did a bit of scouting this spring.

I had tags for WI season E and F, though much of my season E was taken due to a track meet in Ohio. Finals and research projects took prioity during the first several days of Season F. I found myself at Saturday morning with only a couple days left before leaving for my parents' home to travel to Germany. Saturday morning started out beautifully. A mid morning rain started up and lasted for about 4 hours. After that I got out of my blind and checked over the peak of the burned field I was hunting on. I could see two birds walking around at the other side, a few hundred yards away. I made a plan to sneak out and set up my blind there the next morning. As much as I wanted to run and gun and try to cut them off or sneak closer, I knew I wouldn't be able to film it by myself. About 2/3 of the way back to the car, I stepped out into a cornfield and was shocked to see a strutting tom and 6 or 7 hens out in the open. I backtracked and went around.

Sunday morning I woke up at 3am, but the weather radar had me reset my alarm for 7am. I ended up sleeping till 9am and then heading out to be fully set up at 11am. By that time it was fairly clear, warm, and humid. I sat out and listened to the song birds for a few hours, even having a young doe come up and check out my decoy 8-) . It soon became clear another storm was moving in. Apparently a massive system was going north throug the twin cities, producing inches of rain and a tornado watch. I would soon be hit by a trailing pocket of the storm. About 20 minutes before I planned to head back to the car, I heard a gobble. I struck a few yelps on my call, and not long after a turkey walked out into the field. As he covered the final couple hundred yards agonizingly slowly, I did my best to remain silent and get the camera ready. Once he was 50 yards out, I realized that a couple hens had entered the field from my other side. He was pretty leary of my decoy, and wouldn't come closer than 50 yards, especially with the hens out there. I drew back and shot him. My arrow a little low, and he took off. I watched him lay down and rest at a couple different spots. As much as I wanted to get closer and put another arrow in him, I figured that like a gut shot deer, it was best not to push him and just keep an eye on him.

The storm hit fast and fierce. The bird got back up and headed for the woods. I took off with my bow to cross a ravine and get ahead of him. I figured the woods were safer than my blind in the field anyway from the lightning. After failing to spot him in the rain, I headed back, almost not being able to get back out of the now muddy ravine. I waited another hour or so in the blind after the storm was over, listening to the birds and watching other deer and turkeys. I got back out and found him stone dead right wear I saw him enter the woods under a pine tree! :D He was already stiff, and was probably dead near the beginning of the storm. I was really glad for the 2" diameter 3 blade broadhead I was using.

His two beards measured 9.5" and 3.5". His spurs were about 3/4" each, and I forgot to weigh him before carving out the breast meat :L: . I am going to mount the fan and beards on a plaque, and I'm saving the wings to try to make a wingbone call and potential trad arrow fletching. My curse has ended! I can now join the ranks of other beast members that were successful this year! Congrats guys!

Feel free to click the 1080p viewing option. I made an effort to work on sharp focusing this hunt!
[bbvideo=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkSgsY0Y5mo[/bbvideo]

UPbowhunter
Facebook: todd freeman

Re: MY FIRST TURKEY (+Double Beard, Public, Self Filmed, Sto

Unread postby UPbowhunter » Thu May 23, 2013 2:57 pm

Nice bird! Its the only way to hunt turkeys. Good job

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Go Go Epic Stuff, Seek Wilderness
Southern Man
500 Club

Unread postby Southern Man » Fri May 24, 2013 12:12 am

Congrats on your first! Great story.
You Can't Argue With A Sick Mind
dirt nap giver

Unread postby dirt nap giver » Fri May 24, 2013 4:13 am

Great story line.
Have yet to try turkey hunting with a bow. On my list for next year.
Congrats.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
hard work trumps talent, when talent fails to work hard
bowmike
500 Club

Unread postby bowmike » Fri May 24, 2013 4:44 am

you get my vote to win the contest, but then again I am not a 500 club guy. That is some serious dedication to recover your kill. You waited out even when the storm sirens were blaring in the back ground. You got completely soaked, and put in 1,000% effort on this recovery. My hat is off to you not many would have stuck it out.

Congrats on a major accomplishment.
NEXT YEAR I' HOLDING OUT FOR A BIG ONE!!
vanceg

Unread postby vanceg » Fri May 24, 2013 7:11 am

Great job and great video. I really like natural videos like yours with no cheesy music.
UntouchableNess
500 Club

Unread postby UntouchableNess » Fri May 24, 2013 7:28 am

Congrats!

Setting the bar a little high for next year. :lol:
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Fri May 24, 2013 8:06 am

8-)
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
Black Squirrel
500 Club

Unread postby Black Squirrel » Fri May 24, 2013 8:58 am

Cool! Congrats!
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Fri May 24, 2013 10:54 am

Good job on the nice bird.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Fri May 24, 2013 12:43 pm

Great hunt! Congrats! :clap:

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Uncle Lou

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Mon May 27, 2013 3:39 am

Love the double beard. Good shooting bowhunter15
Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com

• Advertisement