The Creed ate today!

Share and Showcase your hunting success stories.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

lungbuster
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/WFTF

The Creed ate today!

Unread postby lungbuster » Sun Apr 14, 2013 4:58 pm

After one of the worst weather weeks I've had in years of spring turkey hunting, I finally found one that wanted to play......................

Crazinamatese

Re: The Creed ate today!

Unread postby Crazinamatese » Sun Apr 14, 2013 6:47 pm

Very nice! :clap:
The cave you fear hides the treasure you seek!!!
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sun Apr 14, 2013 7:04 pm

Congrats! 8-)
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:06 am

:clap:
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Mon Apr 15, 2013 3:59 am

Good job on the nice bird.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Bowhunting Brian
500 Club

Unread postby Bowhunting Brian » Mon Apr 15, 2013 5:02 am

way to get it done.
goldtip5575
500 Club

Unread postby goldtip5575 » Mon Apr 15, 2013 6:02 am

:clap:
Uncle Lou

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Mon Apr 15, 2013 7:11 am

Congrats Chris. You are getting some footage this spring
Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com
lungbuster
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/WFTF

Unread postby lungbuster » Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:21 am

Thought I'd put up a few more pics.

My wife and I

Me and Daughter Hannah

This was a hard won turkey for me as the weather was brutal this week. I had been self videoing all week until yesterday morning when my cameraman finally had a morning off from work........And of course we saw only one bird. The day before I had 3 gobblers and a jake sneak in from behind me and had no opportunity for a shot or to even get the camera on them, it seemed that when they saw the strutting deke they spooked. (which is odd because that many birds should have wanted to kick the crap out of him). About an hour later a lone jake crested the ridge about 100 yards away, I yelped at him and he yelped back but was very skiddish and eventually went back the way he came............I was beginning to think the strutter deke was a bad idea as these birds just didn't seem to be interested in showing dominance, heck they wouldn't even gobble.
But yesterday afternoon I decided moving the blind to a lower spot on the farm to evade the wind might be a good choice, on my way to the spot I spied a big strutting gobbler about 300 yards from where I wanted to relocate, I soft bumped him with the vehicle and proceeded to set up at my destination. About 2 hours later found me back in the blind once again self videoing as Shane had work to get done in the afternoon "and besides" he said, "no one ever kills turkeys in the afternoon."..........
At around 6:30 after having absolutely no answers to my calling and with the cold starting to beat me down once again, I looked to the west end of the stubble corn field I was set up on and saw 3 hens feeding. I thought I might as well give them a few calls and try to coax them into camera range anyway seeing as how I had very limited video of any turkeys thus far.......At my third sequence of sexy yelps I saw the wagon wheel fan of a Gobbler top a small rise in the field! Now seeing that he had not 3 but 5 hens with him my hopes of getting him away from them were slim, but I continued some subtle yelping and purring and low and behold he broke from the ladies and started strutting towards my position.
Now I am hunting from a Bale Blind and the ends have small windows mainly for viewing while the side windows are big enough to video and shoot through at the same time, the gobbler was approaching from the end and I was videoing his approach through the small window. As he got to about 50 yards I realized I needed to move the tripod/camera back to the front windows or I would not be able to shoot once he was in range! I quickly moved the camera and re positioned it to allow me to record the action, at 30 yards the gobbler made a trotting beeline right for the strutter deke and I didn't have time to grab my bow. As I videoed he moved from the strutter to the hen I had placed in a breeding position and hovered over her for what seemed like 10 mins.( in reality it was maybe 30 secs.) Then he proceeded to strut directly at the blind! At 3 yards he stood in full strut looking right at me (actually he could not see me in the blind as it was too dark, but it felt like he was burning holes into my soul!) Finally he turned to show off to the strutter and I made my move for the bow, after a few tense moments I was at full draw and he was in the camera frame I touched the release and the arrow smacked him just above the thighs. He hobbled about 20 yards into some thick brush and I left the blind to retrieve my prize! This was one of the most exciting hunts I have had where I killed a turkey since probably my very first so many decades ago, it meant almost as much to me as any of the birds I have helped others tag over the years, and rejuvenated my drive to keep on chasin' them for years to come!
UntouchableNess
500 Club

Unread postby UntouchableNess » Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:16 am

Good write up! Congrats.
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:24 am

Great turkey and story!

[ Post made via Android ] Image
PeteJ