Turkey Kill - WI - Zone 1, Season 1, Shotgun

Share and Showcase your hunting success stories.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

hunter_mike

Turkey Kill - WI - Zone 1, Season 1, Shotgun

Unread postby hunter_mike » Sun Apr 14, 2013 7:19 am

Well my season 1 had some failures, but ended with success. I wrote out the whole story for anyone who wants to read it. Wednesday night I was able to watch three toms fly up onto the roost on a farm that I had asked permission on the night before. I was out there the next morning before work despite the weather and cold. The result of that morning was 2 arrows flung and zero arrows stuck in a turkey. I caught the action on my cousin's gopro and the video is here - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ea4hQ5QQ4Io

I couldnt go out thursday afternoon, but friday morning i took the scenic route to work and spotted a good flock with at least two strutters. I stopped by and asked permission later that day and the farmers were nice enough to let me on! Two hours before dark, I went back to try and watch them fly up. I thought I found a good observation spot and started walking to the field edge when I stopped because I heard something. I saw movement and could make out the shapes of a couple turkeys moving about 30 yards ahead of me in the brush. Threw up the binocs and there was a big red turkey head staring at me. I froze, and the turkeys disappeared. I snuck out as quietly as I could. I must not have busted them out of there but they knew something fishy was up and got far enough away from me where I couldn't hear or see them roost. :doh:

Anyhow, I lucked out, because the general direction they ran, the woods tapers down and I had a pretty good idea where they roosted up there. I picked out a spot on the aerial maps to set up on for the morning. I awoke to 28 degrees and a coating of snow on my windshield. Thats when i gave in and grabbed the shotgun. With the bow left in the truck and shotgun in hand, I headed out to my first setup. It started getting light out, and the only gobble I heard was far, far away. An hour after opening shooting time, and no sign of life other the songbirds, i crept out into the field and grabbed my decoy. I was pretty frustrated and believed I must have spooked the birds bad enough the night before to chase them to the other woodlot over the hill. I spent the next hour and a half on two different decoy setups in the other small woodlot with no sign of turkeys. I had somewhat given up and was headed back to the truck, carefully of course. As I was walking along the field edge, which ran along a steep wooded dropoff and another ag field at the bottom of it, a big fat crow flew over me and said caww caww. GOBBLEOBBLEOBBLEOBBLE!!!! Holy poptarts it actually made me jump. I dropped down low and peered into the woods and down the hill and there was a big tom strutting with a couple of hens, headed right to where I first was set up. If it wasn't for that crow I probably would have spooked those turkeys and been even more frustrated. I guess I had some luck on my side today. However, it was not over, I had very little cover and couldn't make any moves cuz they had me pinned down. I had already called to them without thinking and I could hear them on their way towards me. I quick dove behind a little rock pile. I was laying on my belly and in bad/zero shooting position. Before i knew it, a hen clucked her way around the rock pile and she semi-spooked as soon as she saw me and headed back into cover giving me the "wtf putt putt". Being in horrible position, i could hear them milling the birds milling around behind my rock pile. I knew that the one hen had trotted away and I thought I could hear at least two birds behind me. Because i had only seen 3-4 birds in the bunch I had seen minutes earlier I figured my chances were decent and it was now or never. I rolled over and quickly got on my feet. I popped up over the rock pile, picked out the Tom and BAM!!

It was a pretty unconventional hunt. I guess what I learned is that it never hurts to have a little luck on your side, but your luck will be better if you are hunting where turkey numbers are high. I asked three farms for permission to hunt and only got turned down by one and it was because his nephews were hunting it. Unfortunately the gopro cam battery died but I took some pics.

The sun peeked out for a little while believe it or not.

My bird and gun

“The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Re: Turkey Kill - WI - Zone 1, Season 1, Shotgun

Unread postby Stanley » Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:01 am

Good job on the nice bird.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:26 am

Sounds a lot like the way my hunts end. One way or another, you came out of it with a bird. Congrats!
goldtip5575
500 Club

Unread postby goldtip5575 » Mon Apr 15, 2013 5:58 am

Congrats tough hunting for sure.....
Black Squirrel
500 Club

Unread postby Black Squirrel » Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:53 am

8-) ,congrats!

• Advertisement

Return to “Kill Zone”