My seasons in photos

Share and Showcase your hunting success stories.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

JoeRE
500 Club

My seasons in photos

Unread postby JoeRE » Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:59 am

I could write quite a bit about how much I enjoyed hunting this year, but I decided to just share some photos, they will tell the story.

In September I went on my first elk hunt ever. It was a week long DIY backpack back country mountain hunt and a whole lot of fun, and work! I will definitely do it again. Timed the aspen color right anyway!

I think if you do not feel small laying on your back at 10,000 feet and looking up at the stars you have a problem.

We (my brother and I) were hunting an over the counter unit in CO with a ton of pressure. We got away from all the other hunters after getting about 3 miles from the road but the elk were still holed up in the dark timber. Walking through a few miles of this stuff every day is real work, particularly when you are a flatlander and have to do it at between 9,000 and 10,500 feet.

Long story short, I shot a cow on the final day on the last stalk after the herd bull right before she was going to bust me and end the hunt. I learned a huge amount about elk hunting - maybe the very tip of the iceberg - and consider myself very lucky pack meat out knowing nothing going into it!

After the emotionally draining elk hunt I wasn't sure how much I would get into bow hunting whitetails back home. I did not do much early season hunting but as October drew to a close I had a few hunts that fired me up again. This beautiful 3 year old 10 pointer put on a huge show for me working a scrape at 10 yards. Image

Right after him this little guy thought he was the big kid on the block too...maybe in 4 years bud ;)

I got to see some spectacular scenery. This stream holds some wild brook trout but I can't seem to catch them :think:

Not long after that I got the chance at a mature 6 pointer. I always thought it would be cool to get one and I knew this 5 year old was in the area after watching him for 2 years. I didn't think twice when he left his sanctuary just a little too early one evening! First mature buck off my own land too!

My remaining bow tag was filled two days later. It ended up being a 3 year old with a bunch of kickers and a ton of potential, a deer I specifically wanted to make it through the season, I can make excuses about how it was at last light, thick cover and I saw him for 10 seconds before the shot opportunity but when it comes down to it I didn't take the time to evaluate the deer - not that I had much time to. Hindsight is 20/20 and he tastes good in venison brats and chorizo. :L: Image

Its not a fall without a great sunset or two.

And the token raccoon wondering what the heck is up in the tree.

After bow season I headed north to spend some time with some great friends, deer camp northwoods style. Hunting northern WI swamps after hunting farm country whitetails can be quite a change of pace. We did our homework and narrowed in on a thick sanctuary that the bigger bucks in the area probably headed to once the orange army invaded. View from my stand 30' up a pine.

Opening day rewarded us, my buddy and I teamed up on a good public land northwoods buck, my first one ever!

After that it was time for late muzzle loader season...my favorite time to hunt. I have learned that if you put in the miles to find the deer, you can have some great success. I was lucky enough to get into deer right away. A couple does right in my lap: Image

An eagle terrorizing the local turkey population: Image

I had a great encounter with a bachelor group of bucks. Mr. G2s as I call him (one brow tine is 10" plus too!) had one thing to thank...I am just about incapable of pulling the trigger in the first few days of a season! Image

Then it snowed and snowed and the antlers started to drop very early. I filled my ML either sex tag with another great buck, a 6 ( I think) year old buck that was really run down. He weighed 232 lbs on the hoof and was skin and bones with what appeared to be a major sinus infection when I shot him...based on that he probably would have hit 270+ three months earlier. I knew the buck since 2010 and he had definitely gone down hill. Image

On one of the last days of the season, I shot a doe, tagging out for the year. The bullet vaporized about 1/3 of her heart and this is the resulting blood trail...she was standing right where the blood starts!

It was a fantastic season, a good end to an otherwise very long and difficult year. Hope you enjoyed looking at the pictures and sorry if I posted too many pics, there were actually a bunch I didn't!

magicman54494
500 Club

Re: My seasons in photos

Unread postby magicman54494 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:13 am

WOW! What an incredible year! A big congrats to you.
Post more pics. I'm sure everyone will enjoy them.
Black Squirrel
500 Club

Unread postby Black Squirrel » Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:13 am

8-)
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:16 am

Great pictures to match a great season.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:23 am

:clap:
PLB
500 Club

Unread postby PLB » Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:50 am

Beautiful pics and congrats on a great season!!!

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Obsession Bows
Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:14 pm

Well done sir.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
Basinboy
500 Club

Unread postby Basinboy » Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:16 pm

Congrats on a great season :dance:
I like pictures keep them coming!
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:31 pm

Nice write up and a big congrats!

That picture of the stars is magnificent - I'd love to experience that first hand...
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
ttsbuck
500 Club

Unread postby ttsbuck » Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:56 pm

A great season and there is no such thing as to many pictures. Thanks for sharing
BigHills BuckHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BigHills BuckHunter » Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:45 pm

Amazing year!
:clap:
Those were some great photos too. I might be the odd one out but I really like the pic of the does in the tall grass.
Darin
500 Club

Unread postby Darin » Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:17 pm

Nice photography skills and season to match! :handgestures-thumbupleft:
MattyG

Unread postby MattyG » Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:30 pm

great photos and congrats on the season. i know i didnt think dark timber was anything to worry about untill i had to walk it the 1st time. when your out of breath all the time too. haha good times
Ridgerunner7
500 Club

Unread postby Ridgerunner7 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:52 am

Looks like a lot of fun right there! Congrats

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
vanceg

Unread postby vanceg » Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:24 am

Beautiful pictures.

• Advertisement

Return to “Kill Zone”