My Minn rifle buck

Share and Showcase your hunting success stories.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

magicman54494
500 Club

My Minn rifle buck

Unread postby magicman54494 » Thu Nov 22, 2012 5:16 am

Since this site is more tuned to sharing hunting styles and tactics I’ve decided to tell my story a bit different way. I’ll focus on what tactics I used and my approach to hunting the large tracts of northwoods.
My hunt began one day late. My job and related stress and fatgue landed me in the hospital emergency room just before my trip. I was told to slow down and relax or I’d end up back there with more serious problems. As it was I was just wore down and stressed so the doc told me some R&R would probably fix me up. It’s nice when the doc writes me a prescription to go hunting!

I have found that the northwoods can change drastically from year to year so I always focus the beginning of my hunts by putting in some spot checking of old areas and even checking out a few new areas. A mistake (IMO) many hunters make is to just hunt the old spots without making sure that they are still productive. Many days are wasted hunting areas that have burnt out.
When I check an area out I’m basically looking for the usual deer sign like tracks, poo, signs of feeding, rut sign, etc.

The area that I usually hunt has been on the decline and this season was pretty much rock bottom. I started my search by driving roads looking for tracks and putting on some miles on foot. Since I was hunting I also stopped and did a lot of blind calling. I also believe in having quality maps and aerial photos. My aerial photos ended up being my key to success this season.

The first week came and went with not much to show for my efforts. I passed a few small bucks and saw few other deer. This is a good place to add another tactic. Frustration sets in and it would be easy to fold your cards and head home. If you’re going to be successful in the north you have to tough it out and never give up no matter how tough the going gets. My motto has always been “I only have to win once”

It snowed a bit early in week 2 and I almost sealed the deal on my first track. I was behind a buck and doe all afternoon and had them so close at times that I felt like I could reach out and touch them – if only I could see them. Oh well.
The second day of tracking taught me great info on a new area. I found a great river crossing that I will spend some time watching in the future. This buck also showed me where there was a pocket of deer way back in and though I put some time in there I failed to connect. I will be back to hunt (or at least check) this spot another day. After several days in there I decided to move on fearing I scented up the area too much and was hurting my chances. On a side note, this buck did find a doe in heat and also another buck who was willing to offer his services to the doe. These 2 bucks fought for breeding rights and absolutely leveled a sizable spot in the swamp. I never caught up with those deer that day.

With 3 days left in my hunt I sat in my camper and studied aerial photos of some new areas. Is that what I think it is? I zoomed in on a river narrow and found what I thought was a beaver dam. Pay dirt! I headed out there the next morning and found 2 beaver dams about 300 yds apart. Though I had just walked thru the area I decided to hunt the dams the rest of the day and the next 2 days as well. The dams showed sign of deer crossing and the woods showed promising buck sign. OK, all my eggs are in one basket and it’s do or die time.

The first half day came and went without a deer sighting. The next day a doe and fawn crossed the dam to my left at 11:30 then the day ended without another sighting. One more day.
The last day comes and I’m still confident in my spot but I’ll admit I was not excited with the number of deer sighted the last day and a half. I sat until almost noon without seeing a single deer. More out of frustration than anything I picked up my grunt call an gave 5 loud grunts. I laughed to myself as grunting had’nt produced up to this point. I looked at the dam to my right then checked the left dam and there he stood. I grabbed my gun and settled the cross hairs on his ribcage and squeezed one off. He mule kicked and crashed off into the brush. The 175 yard shot was a bit high and he made it about 150 yards before coming to rest.

15 days of hunting and with only 4 hours left in my season I finally won once!

Black Squirrel
500 Club

Re: My Minn rifle buck

Unread postby Black Squirrel » Thu Nov 22, 2012 5:27 am

Nice Job Magic, I always enjoy reading your stuff. Congrats! Sounds like you really put your time in. Not sure you were actually following your doctors advice. :lol: Now hopefully you can get some real rest.
U.P. MAN
500 Club

Unread postby U.P. MAN » Thu Nov 22, 2012 5:29 am

Interesting story and great buck!
solocam88
500 Club

Unread postby solocam88 » Thu Nov 22, 2012 5:32 am

Great story and buck
Hodag Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Hodag Hunter » Thu Nov 22, 2012 5:33 am

Congrats again Todd.

A hard fought and earned trophy. If anyone deserves it, it is Magic.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Thu Nov 22, 2012 5:35 am

Way to hang in there. Congrats on a nice buck! 8-)
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Thu Nov 22, 2012 5:35 am

Spectacular! :clap:

You da man Todd....!!!!! :dance:
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
westmibow

Unread postby westmibow » Thu Nov 22, 2012 5:47 am

Awesome story!!! Great Buck!!! Congratulations!!!
wiscbowhntr
500 Club

Unread postby wiscbowhntr » Thu Nov 22, 2012 5:58 am

Killing a big woods buck is a feat I hope to accomplish one of these years. Congrats on a awesome big woods deer!
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Thu Nov 22, 2012 6:05 am

Congrats Magic, a hard earned northwoods buck!
ompaathao

Unread postby ompaathao » Thu Nov 22, 2012 6:30 am

Nice

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Thu Nov 22, 2012 7:31 am

Great read Todd... Way to keep at it, and change up the tactics when needed. I wonder if the buck was watching or smelling the crossing for does and your call pulled him out of his hiding spot?
Congrats again!
hammered 16

Unread postby hammered 16 » Thu Nov 22, 2012 7:33 am

nice
BGHUNTER
Facebook: bgrangerhunter@live.com

Unread postby BGHUNTER » Thu Nov 22, 2012 7:54 am

great read and congrats on a nice buck.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
DropTyne
500 Club

Unread postby DropTyne » Thu Nov 22, 2012 8:06 am

Congrats Great Buck!

Can you expand a little about what you are looking for on bigwoods areas? Water crossings? Beaver Dams? I have heard nearest water is a good place to find big bucks in the northwoods but if you can expand on that a little I am all ears. Were the deer using the beaver dam as a bridge?
DROPTYNE

"Obsessed is a Word the Lazy Use to Describe the Dedicated"

• Advertisement

Return to “Kill Zone”