5 year chase ends with this legend of a buck!

Share and Showcase your hunting success stories.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

moondoondude
500 Club

5 year chase ends with this legend of a buck!

Unread postby moondoondude » Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:59 pm

This is a buck I have seen for 5 years now, meaning this is the fifth season I have seen this deer now. I have been continually updating this story as the chase progressed. He first came around in late November or early December of 2008 (2008-2009 season). He was easy to differentiate from other deer because of the white circles around his eyes. The first year I saw him, I thought he was a 1.5 year old. He had a small basket-racked set of antlers. I didn't think much of it, but I saw him pretty often. Unfortunately, I didn't start carrying a camera until the following year.

The next year, the 2009-2010 season, I again saw the deer the previous summer and throughout the season. In December of 2009, I began bringing a camera with me when I hunted and when I went out to look for deer. I managed to get a couple pictures of the buck in December 2009 (sorry for quality, these were transferred from my old CPU). Notice the white eye circles.

In spring of 2010, I looked for this deer's sheds after 5 or 6 feet of snow melted. I found him, but didn't find his antlers.

In the spring and summer of 2010, I was pretty focused on following another buck and put this buck in the back of my mind. However, I did see him a couple times during the summer.

SCOUTING

TRAIL CAMERA

This buck was highly visible that season. I passed him several times during the year and got some great pictures.

He broke his brow tine during the November 2010 rut.

I got some crappy video of him approaching the tree that December as well.

I continued to watch the buck until he shed his antlers.

I managed to find the buck's right antler in spring 2011.

As the spring and summer growing season of 2011 came, I was definitely focusing a lot of attention on this buck. I would see him somewhat regularly, but I was surprised how much more reclusive he had become. I particularly noticed his isolated habits while observing his wariness to the trail camera and his annoyance to human intrusion in the 2010-2011 season. Here he is during spring/summer 2011 as well as his trail camera picture in September.

I also got a picture of the deer on a trail camera in early September.

During the November 2011 rut, I saw the buck cruising several times but never took a shot. I had grown pretty attached to this deer. I also picked up a decent amount of trail camera pictures.

In January of 2012 the buck began frequenting a reforestation area with a group of other bucks. I let him walk a few times since I had already taken another buck I was after. The only way I could effectively hunt the deer and get him in range was from the ground in makeshift ground blinds. I did manage to get some good pictures of him though.

I continued to do these similar set-ups (without the bow) after the season so I could see when he shed. After he shed out, I did an all day walk and ended up picking up his sheds late in the afternoon. I also found his other side from the year prior. He scored about 175 (assuming a 20 inch spread).

This year, I managed to get some pictures of the buck in late May. I saw him several times other than that, but never could manage to get pictures.

I decided to set up a camera pretty tight to where he was coming out to eat, and managed only one picture initially. He had a beam-like piece of antler growing down his neck with all kind of points on it (a backscratcher), some junk on the bases, good brows and mass, and he was just starting to put on tine length.

Later on in the summer, the buck decided to offer me up a couple more pictures. He was now noticeably an older deer who had made an incredible transformation. At first glimpse, it even appeared that his frame could have shrunk from the year prior.

After hunting extremely sparingly due to obligations outside of hunting throughout the beginning of this season, I picked the buck up on a camera in early October. Out of velvet now, it was apparent that he had quite a bit going on up top, and some sweet trash around his left base.

Yesterday while approaching a camera to switch cards, I saw the buck tending a hot doe at around 2 p.m. I decided that the next morning (this morning) I would set up downwind of the thicket he had her holed up in.

He came in behind the doe, although he definitely did not want to. The wind was perfect, but the buck was still exceptionally hesitant, even though he had a hot doe with him. She persisted on heading out of the thicket, and he reluctantly followed. That was the last mistake he ever made. It has been a remarkable journey watching, observing, scouting, hunting, and harvesting this buck. It will be a buck I will never forget. He has 21 points on his 9 point frame, and he was without doubt the kind of the woods for the past two years. To get to this age and this size, this deer had to be given the opportunity to grow. I pass my bucks, let them reach maturity, and shoot over 10 does for every buck I kill. Now for the hero shots!

Dewey

Re: 5 year chase ends with this legend of a buck!

Unread postby Dewey » Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:10 pm

Huge congrats! That buck really is a legend. Very cool how you were able to document all of your history with this buck! It just doesn't get any better than that! 8-)

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:13 pm

Outstanding!!! Big congrats, beautiful deer! Great history/story. Not that it matters, but any idea what he scores? Congrats!!!!

[ Post made via Android ] Image
gjs4
500 Club

Unread postby gjs4 » Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:20 pm

Congrats. You are the man. I follow your threads as you are always on the big boys....to see all these pics, the approach and the kill just seasl the deal in my mind- youre at the top of the game buddy.

well done....bravo
Green and growing... Or red and rotting
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:22 pm

Awesome!!! 8-) :clap: :dance:
Bigb
500 Club

Unread postby Bigb » Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:29 pm

Awesome, seriously Awesome. People say they have a history with a buck but you have so much history with that deer it has to make it really special. Congrats man, great to see when a long trek for a buck pays off!
Crazinamatese

Unread postby Crazinamatese » Tue Nov 13, 2012 2:06 pm

That is cool stuff. Congrats!
The cave you fear hides the treasure you seek!!!
ompaathao

Unread postby ompaathao » Tue Nov 13, 2012 3:11 pm

That's some good stuff..nice

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Boo
500 Club

Unread postby Boo » Tue Nov 13, 2012 3:17 pm

That is AWESOME! Congrats! Great buck and story!
Cash 18

Unread postby Cash 18 » Tue Nov 13, 2012 3:32 pm

very cool story... Congrats
BGHUNTER
Facebook: bgrangerhunter@live.com

Unread postby BGHUNTER » Tue Nov 13, 2012 3:55 pm

That is amazing. Way to go. Congrats.
RaisedByWolves
500 Club

Unread postby RaisedByWolves » Tue Nov 13, 2012 4:02 pm

wow you don't see that everyday! huge congrats :clap:
When better is possible, good is never good enough
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Tue Nov 13, 2012 4:10 pm

Spectacular!

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
eastwoodhunter

Unread postby eastwoodhunter » Tue Nov 13, 2012 4:16 pm

Great buck and great story!
goldtip5575
500 Club

Unread postby goldtip5575 » Tue Nov 13, 2012 4:51 pm

Great history.Great buck.

• Advertisement

Return to “Kill Zone”