First BBD Beast style!! Biggest to date :)

Share and Showcase your hunting success stories.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Edcyclopedia

Re: First BBD Beast style!! Biggest to date :)

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Fri Nov 09, 2012 12:20 am

Spectacular! :clap:
Can't wait for the story - He's a bruiser...

Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
DevinJD2007
500 Club

Unread postby DevinJD2007 » Fri Nov 09, 2012 1:05 am

Looking forward to the story. Congrats!

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Scot
500 Club

Unread postby Scot » Fri Nov 09, 2012 1:07 am

Darn nice buck congratulations!

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
redz

Unread postby redz » Fri Nov 09, 2012 1:42 am

Nice buck! Congrats!

Huntin, fishin, lovin everyday...
hammered 16

Unread postby hammered 16 » Fri Nov 09, 2012 1:43 am

Nice buck

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Hodag Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Hodag Hunter » Fri Nov 09, 2012 2:05 am

Congrats man...looks like a dandy big bodied deer. 8-)

Let's hear the story.
Brandon
500 Club

Unread postby Brandon » Fri Nov 09, 2012 2:06 am

nice... whats the story? :dance:
You can't kill em on the couch
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Fri Nov 09, 2012 2:08 am

Very nice congratulations!!

RaisedByWolves
500 Club

Unread postby RaisedByWolves » Fri Nov 09, 2012 3:14 am

Okay here's the rest.....

So last year during gun season my uncle wounded a doe that ended up going through a part of my cousin's farm which I had never really been. I'm color blind so when I help someone track I generally just walk around and look for a dead body. In my looking I went past a great looking brushy pocket next to the field about an acre in size, which I knew no one probably has been in for years. There are no other stands around for a couple hundred yards mainly used by gun hunters and a couple non-relative bow-hunters. As I walked past the spot I instantly had my finger on the safety because it screamed big buck bedding. Only until I walked past the spot for the second time coming back, I busted up a big buck that was probably around a 160", no shot. He took a few bounds and was off the bedding area and down the steep ridges to the south. i could see there were a few large/ very worn beds and I checked as best as I could for blood to make sure he wasn't wounded. The spot looked perfect for a buck to bed there on a north wind.

So this march I went down to further dissect the spot and do some beast scouting as well as check some of my other stands out. I checked for sheds in the corn stubble and in the bedding area for a short while and didn't have any luck. I ended up finding a great tree on the backside of the thicket where I could use my climber, about 50 yards from the field edge, on the south side. My access would have to be under the field to the south to stay hidden from deer feeding in the fields when I would sneak in early. I prepped a little access trail and trimmed a couple branches for shooting and left the area.

Wednesday finally had the right conditions to hunt the spot, north wind and especially the wetness and fog from the night before would help mask me sneaking in. The field was beans so I would need all the cover I could get.

I planned on getting to the tree about an hour before shooting hours but the walk proved to be longer, sweatier and noisier than I thought. You know when you tell yourself any big buck would be crazy to come in!! That's how I felt. Well I no longer than got my climber set and harness attached when I looked towards the field and saw a large dark object coming through the fog and into the thicket!!! I went for my bow rope and he started thrashing a tree 20 yards in front of me. Next thing I know he is at 6 yards looking around with my bow still on the ground in front of him. He seemed very aggressive and carefree even after looking up at me for a few seconds. It was light enough to shoot so I was struggling to get my release out of my pocket, pull the bow up, detach the tow rope, and nock an arrow all with him inside shooting range! I watched as he paced around the thicket, standing in the big beds, smelling around and racking the brush. I thought how awesome but THIS IS TORTURE!!! By the time I was ready to shoot he had gotten back out to the field and headed the opposite direction :(( I figured maybe he just went to check some scrapes along the edge or check some does....

The plan worked to perfection except for the kill and I couldn't help but think about Dan and Andrea and all the other guys on here who hunt beds successfully and I was still waiting for my first taste but getting closer. After an hour or so I was starting to feel better about having such an awesome experience with no shot and lots of "if only I..." when I heard a twig snap behind me. My hope started to rise and I saw his tall tines working just behind me down the steep ridge at thirty yards. I thought he wants to be here bad and is going to circle downwind behind me. Before I could get my bow up and into position he had gone through the best shooting hole I had behind me so I picked a hole in the brush and let it fly when he hit the spot, quartering away. The angle was so steep downhill I used my 20 yard pin and figured him at 29 or 30 yards. I watched that Nockturnal lighted nock disappear right where I wanted it 8-) He made a few leaps down the rest of the hillside, hopped a barbwire fence, went up the next ridge a few bounds and tipped over, he made it about 40 yards. Double lung just above the heart.

He is a perfect 10 and I put him at 3.5 years old, exactly what I wanted this year :D Rough scored him at 142" with a 29" neck measured right below the head. Want to say thanks again to Dan and all the beast members for the hard work and constant inspiration, I'm still sore from dragging him up that hill alone :lol: . Hopefully this story will inspire someone else to dive in against the biggest bull in they're woods. Sometimes they just have your name on them

A ground level pic of the thicket after I climbed down

The shooting lane behind me from ground level
When better is possible, good is never good enough
Brad

Unread postby Brad » Fri Nov 09, 2012 3:19 am

Huge congrats, what a pig!
BigHills BuckHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BigHills BuckHunter » Fri Nov 09, 2012 3:39 am

Congrats! He has some very long main beams. Care to tell us the measurements on those beams?

Looks like a mature buck too. 8-)

Way to go!
goldtip5575
500 Club

Unread postby goldtip5575 » Fri Nov 09, 2012 3:46 am

great buck congrats :clap:
RaisedByWolves
500 Club

Unread postby RaisedByWolves » Fri Nov 09, 2012 3:51 am

BigHills BuckHunter wrote:Congrats! He has some very long main beams. Care to tell us the measurements on those beams?

Looks like a mature buck too. 8-)

Way to go!

thanks! the sheet is at a buddys house but I want to say 22.5 and 23.5
When better is possible, good is never good enough
moosehound

Unread postby moosehound » Fri Nov 09, 2012 4:11 am

Congrats! Great Buck!
I hunt whitetails all year long.
Stump

Unread postby Stump » Fri Nov 09, 2012 4:21 am

Great buck. Congrats.

• Advertisement

Return to “Kill Zone”