Deer Hunting out of state any suggestions?

This section of the forum is for people looking to trade or swap hunts, services, or equipment, in exchange for other hunts, services, or equipment.

EXAMPLE: Taxidermist willing to trade deer head mount for deer hunt in Midwest.

**Hunts for sale by outfitters need to be put in the outfitter section of the forum.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Dewey

Re: Deer Hunting out of state any suggestions?

Unread postby Dewey » Wed Nov 13, 2013 2:26 pm

BuckTrack81 wrote:
Dewey wrote:For over the counter tags I would suggest WI, MN, SD or NE if you want to hunt next year. Plenty of public land in all of them. Start applying for points in Iowa for a future hunt. I have hunted every one except Iowa and they all hold great bucks, especially NE.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

What do you get with the over the counter tag in WI, do you have to earn a Buck tag?? I tried looking it up but there are so many units etc.. Hard to figure it out to be honest, I think WI is on my short list just because of how close I am to the border from where I live... About 80 miles or so..

You get a buck and antlerless tag for anywhere in the state except the antlerless tag cannot be used in a buck only unit up north. In addition you also get another herd reduction tag good for any herd reduction unit. In CWD for every antlerless deer you kill you get an additional buck tag. Excellent value for a non resident!

Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Wed Nov 13, 2013 2:37 pm

BuckTrack81 wrote:
Jackson Marsh wrote:
BuckTrack81 wrote:
Dewey wrote:For over the counter tags I would suggest WI, MN, SD or NE if you want to hunt next year. Plenty of public land in all of them. Start applying for points in Iowa for a future hunt. I have hunted every one except Iowa and they all hold great bucks, especially NE.

What do you get with the over the counter tag in WI, do you have to earn a Buck tag?? I tried looking it up but there are so many units etc.. Hard to figure it out to be honest, I think WI is on my short list just because of how close I am to the border from where I live... About 80 miles or so..

Wisconsin is a lot cheaper than Iowa.....and closer too. Iowa is good, but for the same cost you could probably hunt Wisconsin every year and learn the land better.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

That was kinda my thought too, my Outlaws live in northwest Missouri right on the Iowa border, but to actually go out there to learn the area might be a challenge my wifes dad already lets hunter's hunt his farm so I brought it up but got shot down... With WI I would be able to get some boots on the ground and hunt it multiple times, my only reservation is about how much pressure does public land get in WI, should I look for a Lease??

We have 6 million acres of public land. If you hunt early in the season you won't have much pressure but during the rut it's a different story. Good time to hunt further north where most of the public land is to escape the crowds.

BuckTrack81

Unread postby BuckTrack81 » Wed Nov 13, 2013 2:39 pm

Dewey wrote:
BuckTrack81 wrote:

You get a buck and antlerless tag for anywhere in the state except the antlerless tag cannot be used in a buck only unit up north. In addition you also get another herd reduction tag good for any herd reduction unit. In CWD for every antlerless deer you kill you get an additional buck tag. Excellent value for a non resident!

Ok Dewey , that's good to know... I was under the assumption in the CWD it was residents only that earned extra tags... Huh....

Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Wed Nov 13, 2013 2:44 pm

BuckTrack81 wrote:
Dewey wrote:
BuckTrack81 wrote:

Ok Dewey , that's good to know... I was under the assumption in the CWD it was residents only that earned extra tags... Huh....

I am not familiar with the CWD zones so hope my info is right. Anybody who knows please correct me if I'm wrong.
DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Wed Nov 13, 2013 5:31 pm

Missouri's bow hunting only area's with APR's would be a good option.
You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.
Isoroku Yamamoto, Japanese Admiral
BuckTrack81

Unread postby BuckTrack81 » Wed Nov 13, 2013 5:37 pm

DEERSLAYER wrote:Missouri's bow hunting only area's with APR's would be a good option.

That sounds interesting ... I didn't know there was bow only areas in MO...

DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Wed Nov 13, 2013 6:47 pm

BuckTrack81 wrote:
DEERSLAYER wrote:Missouri's bow hunting only area's with APR's would be a good option.

That sounds interesting ... I didn't know there was bow only areas in MO...

Yup, one of bow huntings best kept secrets. :shhh: :mrgreen:
You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.
kenn1320
500 Club

Unread postby kenn1320 » Thu Nov 14, 2013 3:24 am

Hunting out of state is fun, but can be frustrating with a steep learning curve. Some guys can just show up and be on them easily, but most cannot. I suggest picking something close and spending some time scouting this spring. I'm not familiar with some of the states you mentioned, but of the ones I am, Ohio is the only one that your license is good for both gun and bow. Plus if you go down in the spring to scout, you can buy your non resident license and turkey hunt. Then come fall your license cost is just $24 for a deer tag.

"Its about taking the right shot at the right time with good equipment." Dan Infalt
BuckTrack81

Unread postby BuckTrack81 » Thu Nov 14, 2013 8:10 am

kenn1320 wrote:Hunting out of state is fun, but can be frustrating with a steep learning curve. Some guys can just show up and be on them easily, but most cannot. I suggest picking something close and spending some time scouting this spring. I'm not familiar with some of the states you mentioned, but of the ones I am, Ohio is the only one that your license is good for both gun and bow. Plus if you go down in the spring to scout, you can buy your non resident license and turkey hunt. Then come fall your license cost is just $24 for a deer tag.

Ok, thanks for the info on Ohio... Thats good to know.. Wherever I end up going I will go in the spring to scout, and I guess a turkey hunt would be a bonus..

DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Thu Nov 14, 2013 8:38 am

kenn1320 wrote:Hunting out of state is fun, but can be frustrating with a steep learning curve. Some guys can just show up and be on them easily, but most cannot. I suggest picking something close and spending some time scouting this spring. I'm not familiar with some of the states you mentioned, but of the ones I am, Ohio is the only one that your license is good for both gun and bow. Plus if you go down in the spring to scout, you can buy your non resident license and turkey hunt. Then come fall your license cost is just $24 for a deer tag.

Southern Ohio has some great public land hunting and you can stumble across a booner just about anywhere. I really like Ohio and want to hunt it again at some point. Reasonable tag price as well.
BuckTrack81

Unread postby BuckTrack81 » Thu Nov 14, 2013 9:47 am

DEERSLAYER wrote:

Southern Ohio has some great public land hunting and you can stumble across a booner just about anywhere. I really like Ohio and want to hunt it again at some point. Reasonable tag price as well.

What time of year would you go back for?? Early, rut.. Late season?? You had succsess I assume ?

DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Thu Nov 14, 2013 10:03 am

BuckTrack81 wrote:
DEERSLAYER wrote:

What time of year would you go back for?? Early, rut.. Late season?? You had succsess I assume ?

I didn't shoot a buck, but I passed on what would have been my biggest at the time because I knew there was a mid 180's in the area and some other good ones. Seen a 160" I would like to have shot but it was out of range. It was the late muzzeloader season. If I remember right it was a day or two after Christmas. It was on private land that was open to the public. Next time I will probably go late October or early November with bow.
BuckTrack81

Unread postby BuckTrack81 » Thu Nov 14, 2013 10:14 am

DEERSLAYER wrote:
BuckTrack81 wrote:
DEERSLAYER wrote:

I didn't shoot a buck, but I passed on what would have been my biggest at the time because I knew there was a mid 180's in the area and some other good ones. Seen a 160" I would like to have shot but it was out of range. It was the late muzzeloader season. If I remember right it was a day or two after Christmas. It was on private land that was open to the public. Next time I will probably go late October or early November with bow.

Ok , I think taking the smoke pole some where would be an option I might consider, don't get me wrong I love bow hunting but to be honest at my stage in the game anything 100" or better would be a trophy .. When I went to Southeast Kansas last year with the bow I felt like I had the wrong tool for the job.. Just because of the terrain I was In... I just need to get a 130 yd pin for the bow .. That seems to be the magic number !! :lol:

May-39

Unread postby May-39 » Sat Nov 23, 2013 10:52 am

Re: Nebraska/North Dakota/Kentucky experience

Eastern Nebraska (same terrain as Western Iowa)

I m/L hunted within a few miles of Iowa, stayed in Iowa, the partner I went with (and drove his truck) decided we were leaving three days early after he missed and totally unravalled,,I only convinced him to let me hunt that aft (3rd day of 6). he picked me up at the road to drive home that night..lol
There are some serious deer in there, I met a Wisconsin farmer who has been going every year for over a decade. He showed me several monster buck cam pics and some he harvested.. You do need to watch out for Indian land though. I haven't gone back cause I am trying to figure some spots in another state.

North Dakota-
for about a decade I got more into birds then deer. Old schoolmate is farm manager in Minot area (16,000 acre farm)..We pheasant and waterfowl hunted the heck out of that area public and private 4-8 guys for 9-12 days every year. We would jump about one decent (130"+) buck every day or two. I don't thinkn we ever saw a combined total of more than 8 deer in a day. I'm told there are more deer in the eastern side-river valley area. If you found a mature woodlot, it was infested with deer. you wont find those on public ground and they are usually leased for a premium.

Kentucky-
I go down to Barren/Monroe county area at least once a year for deer. There are some dandies but I haven't killed but have seen a couple nice ones (130+). My pal is C.O. down there, the M/L and late bow season are great, not much company and good rutting activity.
Just got a connect to a large farm in ballard county right off the river..there are studs in ballard co. but only one public hunting area. Will be sniffing that out soon
There is what is known as the "red line" this is the high water level around large impoundments. There are large landlocked parcels that are often 150+ yards from the water edge..The lines are clearly marked by army corp of engineers so you don't have to guess. 80% hunt down there over a corn feeder in a area they can drive their quad to..Seriously there aren't many hard core scout and hunt guys types..lotta poaching, not many c.o's often one for two counties.
WARNING-Kentucky prices are going up significantly next year (14/15)

• Advertisement

Return to “SWAP & TRADE HUNTS”