Snowshoe Hare hunt wanted

This section of the forum is for people looking to trade or swap hunts, services, or equipment, in exchange for other hunts, services, or equipment.

EXAMPLE: Taxidermist willing to trade deer head mount for deer hunt in Midwest.

**Hunts for sale by outfitters need to be put in the outfitter section of the forum.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

365buckin

Snowshoe Hare hunt wanted

Unread postby 365buckin » Fri Jan 09, 2015 3:05 pm

I would really like to hunt with someone up north who owns some beagles or rabbit dogs. You can be a veteran snowshoe hunter or a cottontail rabbit hunter. I can ride up with you, or meet you in snowshoe country. I have never shot a snowshoe hare. Not really sure what I would trade, but I would definitely be willing to work out a deal!

Be in the woods as often as you can....and as long as you can!
Rich M
500 Club

Re: Snowshoe Hare hunt wanted

Unread postby Rich M » Fri Mar 18, 2016 7:38 am

I can't offer you a trade but can tell you how to do it without a dog.

Drive up to snowshoe country when there is some snow on the ground and stalk/track them. They will hold pretty tight in front of you most of the time and make relatively small circles. They like the jack-pines in or on the edge of clear cuts.

You can also do drives - they don't hole up as bad as cottontails and will generally move out in front of you.

My favorite used to be tracking in a fresh snow. Find a fresh track crossing a road and follow it til you get him/her. It is addictive.

Shotgun or .22 works fine. Also have shot plenty with a bow and field points.

Don't just walk around - find the tracks and follow those, move as fast as the terrain will let you - thick cover, go slow. Open with little to no cover, go fast cause they did those tracks at night.

• Advertisement

Return to “SWAP & TRADE HUNTS”