Dad and I got our 2010 antelope mounts back

Discussions about learning taxidermy & picking taxidermist.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Brad

Dad and I got our 2010 antelope mounts back

Unread postby Brad » Mon Sep 26, 2011 1:06 pm

Just picked these up today, I am really happy with the job he did on both of them. My dads is a lot better than mine, but they were both DIY hunts which makes them even bigger trophies to both of us. Mine was a 12" and dads was a 13" but his had twice the mass and was just a in general bigger older buck.

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: Dad and I got our 2010 antelope mounts back

Unread postby dan » Mon Sep 26, 2011 1:09 pm

8-) Who did the taxidermy?
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Mon Sep 26, 2011 1:10 pm

8-)
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
Brad

Unread postby Brad » Mon Sep 26, 2011 1:19 pm

Natures own taxidermiy in Spring Green Wi, I've been going to Chris for years, he mounted all the other animals in the one picture as well except the ones on plaques, I did those myself.
Carol
Site Admin

Unread postby Carol » Tue Sep 27, 2011 3:55 am

nice :D
Even a blind squirrel finds a nut every now and then!

Some People Need a Shock Collar!
dreaming bucks

Unread postby dreaming bucks » Tue Sep 27, 2011 4:14 am

Very cool Brad ! I have taken stuff to Chris also, he does great work in my opinion...... His turkey mounts are awesome, and has won awards for them.... he's a good guy too !
Indianahunter
500 Club

Unread postby Indianahunter » Tue Sep 27, 2011 4:38 am

Beautiful animals, one of my dream hunts. Congratulations.
God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
Romans 5:8
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Tue Sep 27, 2011 4:42 am

Congrats along with a great memory!!!
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
Black Squirrel
500 Club

Unread postby Black Squirrel » Tue Sep 27, 2011 8:16 am

Nice looking speed goats! 8-)
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Tue Sep 27, 2011 8:22 am

Very nice.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Swampthing
500 Club

Unread postby Swampthing » Tue Sep 27, 2011 2:28 pm

Awesome, I.ve heard of guys sneeking up on antelope hiding behind cow decoys any truth to that ?

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Dor
500 Club
Facebook: Chris Dornack

Unread postby Dor » Tue Sep 27, 2011 3:00 pm

:mrgreen:
Always great to get mounts back!

Call The Footed Shaft to order Kwik-Straps 507-288-7581 or order at the kwik-strap.com
Brad

Unread postby Brad » Tue Sep 27, 2011 3:55 pm

Swampthing wrote:Awesome, I.ve heard of guys sneeking up on antelope hiding behind cow decoys any truth to that ?

[ Post made via Android ] Image

I have heard of that before and I intend to give it a try this year, we leave for Gillette Wy on Saturday night! Antelope are not the "brightest animals", or so they appear, because they feel perfectly safe out in the open. They are not hard to spot at all, on a typical hunt you will see 20 to 30 bucks each day if not more. They place 100% of their safety on their eyesight and their speed to escape danger. For that reason it is very possible to sneak up on them provided they don't see you, if they are used to ranch trucks driving around you can drive up to them within yards, if there used to beef cattle (the ones I hunt are), you can sneak up to them pretending to be a cow. I have heard of people using other antelope decoys to sneak up on them with as well. They are one of the most entertaining hunts you can go on because of the non stop action and the amount of critters you see, and they don't really care about human scent, so its not an issue. Everyone owes it to themselves to hunt these wonderful animals and see the land they call home at least once in their life, but don't be surprised if you go back for more next year as its addicting and they are not too much money to hunt. Where I go I have a rancher that charges me 150 bucks to kill a buck on his land, if its a day or a week, same price. Does are free, as long as you have a tag from game and fish. There is no guide, no gimme's and no guarantees. The antelope we shoot out at this spot are your everyday run of the mill antelope bucks, but we arean't paying top dollar to hunt the trophy areas and I don't care to, these are just fine with us and its very satisfying to look up on the wall and see another species that I managed to kill without anyones help.

The buck my dad has in the picture is about the equivalent to a 125-130 inch whitetail buck, and mine would be about the equivalent of a 95-100" whitetail buck. A "trophy" antelope is a 15" and up and they are not very easy to find just anywhere and they are even harder to tell if its a 12" buck or a 15" buck at 300-400 yards. The buck I shot ,I took on the 2nd day of the hunt, he was running with a group of about 15 does and one smaller buck. I knew he didn't have a ton of mass before I started after him, but I saw he had nice cutters (the bottom points) for the area we were hunting, and so I stayed after him and failed about 5 stalks before I shot him 2 miles away from where we started after him. I shot him at 275 yards as he was trotting away at a quartering away shot, and after he dropped I shot one of his girlfriends as I had a doe tag too. My dad shot the one he got on the last day of the hunt, he had completely given up hope of getting anything as they were so skiddish we couldn't even get close. This one happened to be bedded down with a doe and he gave him a 420 yard shot and he got him with about an hour or two left in the hunt before we had to leave. It ended up being the biggest buck taken out of 6 last year, and it means a lot ot him because we worked so hard for him, probably about 25 or more failed attempts on other bucks before it all came together on him. I will be taking a ton of pictures this year and you can bet I will be posting on here with the details of the hunt. We leave saturday night after I get done standing up in a wedding, and can hunt until friday. This will be my 3rd time and hopefully my 3rd buck, the same with my dad.

• Advertisement

Return to “Taxidermy”