Early season deer mount tip #1

Discussions about learning taxidermy & picking taxidermist.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Mountain Man
500 Club

Early season deer mount tip #1

Unread postby Mountain Man » Fri Aug 26, 2011 10:21 am

Here is a tip for those that are successful on early season (August in some states or September in others) whitetail or mule deer hunts.

For early season deer with really short hair, IMO a good taxidermist will/should use the shortest incision possible. It’s difficult and time consuming to hide a seam on a short haired deer so the shorter the seam the better. Shorter seams can and do present problems in getting the cape over the head of the manikin but the final product is much better if a shorter incision/seam is used. Due to the extra work and time involved with a shorter incision/seam, many taxidermists will make a long incision which goes all the way down the back of the neck. This makes it easier to get the cape on the manikin which makes the mounting process faster but almost all the time results in a visible and unsightly seam.

In this example I’m using a personal deer mount that some taxidermist mounted for me. This was my first buck bowhunting and it came from public land. It’s not a monster and it was before I knew much about taxidermy. It also didn’t cost a lot ($275 total in 1998) – i.e., lesson learned you usually get what you pay for, although for a year or two I thought it looked fine until I learned more about what good taxidermy should be or look like. When I picked up the deer, I noticed the seam right away and questioned the taxidermist right away in his studio about it but he blew off my question as if the appearance of the seam was normal for an early season deer. Not knowing any better at the time I accepted his answer, paid the remainder of the balance due and went home. Knowing what I know now, there is simply no excuse for a seam to show like that on an early season deer.

To avoid a mount with an unsightly seam on an early season deer ask your taxidermist about how he/she plans to skin the deer. If they skin it all the way down the back be leery of using them. Later in the season (Nov. or Dec.) a long incision is easier to hide and IMO more acceptable if a taxi can do a good sew job to make it virtually undetectable. (I always do short incisions on any deer b/c I don’t like sewing and I think the end result looks better) If your taxidermist tells you they will try to minimize the length of the incision, like using a short-Y, short-T , or short-7 incision, that’s good. For competition, a burr to burr incision is commonly used but that’s not really feasible for most commercial jobs b/c it’s too time consuming to get the cape over the head which usually involves pre-sculpting the ear but muscles in epoxy and cutting the head apart to get the cape on and then reassembling everything.

Here is the unsightly seam all the way down the back of the deer.

Here is what a short Y cut would look like. Depending on the size of the deer’s head, the cut down the back of the neck might need to be an inch or two longer. With the ears back, a short Y can pose problems b/c I’m trying to sew in a place w/o a lot of room near the back base of the burrs and the ear muscles. It can be done but it’s just not my preferred method.

Here is what a short T cut would look like. Depending on the size of the deer’s head, the cut down the back of the neck might need to be an inch or two longer. This is the type of incision I prefer b/c it’s easiest IMO to sew between the burrs.

Here is what a short 7 cut would look like. Depending on the size of the deer’s head, the cut down the back of the neck might need to be an inch or two longer.

Here is what a burr to burr cut would look like. This is almost exclusively used for competition where it is desireable to have the shortest/most invisible seam possible as the judge will be feeling/looking for a seam.Image

headgear
500 Club

Re: Early season deer mount tip #1

Unread postby headgear » Fri Aug 26, 2011 11:22 am

Good tip MM!
Spysar
500 Club

Unread postby Spysar » Fri Aug 26, 2011 1:45 pm

I cape my deer and my friends deer, so I do a half dozen or so a year. I do the short Y cut. Like you said, the neck cut is a little longer. The mounts seem to come out OK. I should ask my taxy if he would prefer the T cut.
A buck will see you three times, and hear you twice, but he's only gonna smell you once.
kenn1320
500 Club

Unread postby kenn1320 » Fri Aug 26, 2011 2:20 pm

I can see the raised hair/sew seem on both my mounts and they are both fall hides. :o I had a taxidermist out of state cape my last one out and he split it right down the back all the way. I was pissed, but I didn't know how to cape one, so...... I tanned that hide myself and plan to do the mount one of these days. I figure nobody knows what that animal looked like alive more then the guy shooting it, and I have plans to keep hunting for a long time. Might as well bite the bullet and start learning how to do it myself. Its not any cheaper when your doing one or two here and there.
"Its about taking the right shot at the right time with good equipment." Dan Infalt
Mountain Man
500 Club

Unread postby Mountain Man » Sat Aug 27, 2011 5:26 am

Spysar wrote:I cape my deer and my friends deer, so I do a half dozen or so a year. I do the short Y cut. Like you said, the neck cut is a little longer. The mounts seem to come out OK. I should ask my taxy if he would prefer the T cut.

You can ask him about the T cut but everyone will have their preference. Most guys I know use the Y cut. The short Y is good and a lot of taxis use it. It's nice b/c the two cuts starting at the burrs should be along or a bit inside the edge of that hair pattern change between the coarser hair on top of the head and the shorter hair on the back of the head. In that area those seams will be covered by the longer hair.
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Sat Aug 27, 2011 5:33 am

I've never noticed the seam on the backs of my mounts, not sure I would anyway as its out of line of sight.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Sat Aug 27, 2011 6:13 am

My taxidermist does great work... but on my velvet Manitoba mount he did the full length cut down the back with evident sewing. I was not pleased as noticed even from the side
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
Mountain Man
500 Club

Unread postby Mountain Man » Sat Aug 27, 2011 6:52 am

Bucky wrote:My taxidermist does great work... but on my velvet Manitoba mount he did the full length cut down the back with evident sewing. I was not pleased as noticed even from the side

Thanks for sharing Bucky. That's exactly the point I wanted to make about seams and short haired deer.
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Sat Aug 27, 2011 7:03 am

Mountain Man wrote:
Bucky wrote:My taxidermist does great work... but on my velvet Manitoba mount he did the full length cut down the back with evident sewing. I was not pleased as noticed even from the side

Thanks for sharing Bucky. That's exactly the point I wanted to make about seams and short haired deer.

I will post pic so that everyone here is aware of what they don't want to get
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear

• Advertisement

Return to “Taxidermy”