Dan's 2009 IL Buck

Discussions about learning taxidermy & picking taxidermist.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Mountain Man
500 Club

Dan's 2009 IL Buck

Unread postby Mountain Man » Fri Jun 03, 2011 5:24 am

headgear
500 Club

Re: Can you identify this deer #1?

Unread postby headgear » Fri Jun 03, 2011 5:55 am

Bob the buck? What exactly are we suppose to identify?
Mountain Man
500 Club

Unread postby Mountain Man » Fri Jun 03, 2011 6:08 am

Do you recognize the rack? Who shot it? When was it shot? Where (as in general location) was it shot? Do you remember the story behind this deer? I know some or even many of the HB members have seen this deer before and have at least read that info. Put your thinking caps on and let's see who can solve the mystery.
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Fri Jun 03, 2011 7:14 am

Thanks MM, I thought that might be what you were asking for but wasn't sure. I can't say that I recognize them all that well but maybe someone else will jog my memory.
Spysar
500 Club

Unread postby Spysar » Fri Jun 03, 2011 11:02 am

?
A buck will see you three times, and hear you twice, but he's only gonna smell you once.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: Dan's 2009 IL Buck

Unread postby dan » Fri Jun 03, 2011 1:28 pm

JEEESE... That was only a couple years ago and there is no gray in the hair. Getting old fast!

That Illinois buck was a 4 y/o I shot hunting with a friend on a farm he had permission on. It was rut and he had seen the buck hanging in a section of woods with a doe a few times and there was a good leeward ridge where the buck would come and go from the area I assumed. as I went in with my L/W I saw the buck make his way across the ridge following the doe middday.
when he was out of sight I slipped in and set up the stand. Before dark the buck started coming out following the doe but a swirl caught his nose and he got nervous and turned to sneak back where he came from. As I released he lunged to run and the arrow hit him in the / guts... tracked him the next day till I ran out of blood and options. A week or two later the farmer called and said he found my buck. I went down and tagged it and called it in, but the coyotes had chewed on the rack a bit while they devoured the meat. They actually chewed one of the tines down quite a bit... Great job on fixing it MM 8-)
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Sat Aug 20, 2011 4:46 am

dan wrote:JEEESE... That was only a couple years ago and there is no gray in the hair. Getting old fast!

That Illinois buck was a 4 y/o I shot hunting with a friend on a farm he had permission on. It was rut and he had seen the buck hanging in a section of woods with a doe a few times and there was a good leeward ridge where the buck would come and go from the area I assumed. as I went in with my L/W I saw the buck make his way across the ridge following the doe middday.
when he was out of sight I slipped in and set up the stand. Before dark the buck started coming out following the doe but a swirl caught his nose and he got nervous and turned to sneak back where he came from. As I released he lunged to run and the arrow hit him in the / guts... tracked him the next day till I ran out of blood and options. A week or two later the farmer called and said he found my buck. I went down and tagged it and called it in, but the coyotes had chewed on the rack a bit while they devoured the meat. They actually chewed one of the tines down quite a bit... Great job on fixing it MM 8-)

Cool story. Yotes don't usually chew on the horns. Might have been done in aggravation/anger? I saw a Yote chase a squirrel up a shag bark hickory tree once. Yote got to the base of the tree and grabbed some of the bark in his teeth and ripped it off. Almost got an arrow in him but too much brush.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Sat Aug 20, 2011 4:50 am

Cool story. Yotes don't usually chew on the horns. Might have been done in aggravation/anger? I saw a Yote chase a squirrel up a shag bark hickory tree once. Yote got to the base of the tree and grabbed some of the bark in his teeth and ripped it off. Almost got an arrow in him but too much brush.

I thought the yotes chewing the rack was weird too... I think it may have been the subordanat yotes or cubs that were waiting as the dominant yote ate it from the hind quarters. The pups chewed the ears and nose too, but all the eating was done at the hind quarters.
RaisedByWolves
500 Club

Unread postby RaisedByWolves » Sat Aug 20, 2011 4:54 am

I remember the buck, now that you mention it....how far did he go to where he died?
When better is possible, good is never good enough
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Sat Aug 20, 2011 4:59 am

dan wrote:

I thought the yotes chewing the rack was weird too... I think it may have been the subordanat yotes or cubs that were waiting as the dominant yote ate it from the hind quarters. The pups chewed the ears and nose too, but all the eating was done at the hind quarters.

Dan - Was that the buck you shot with Todd?
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Sat Aug 20, 2011 5:52 am

Dan - Was that the buck you shot with Todd?

Yes... I was hunting on Todds ground in Illinois.

how far did he go to where he died?

500 / 600 yards... Went one way but doubled back and died in a cornfield.

• Advertisement

Return to “Taxidermy”