Trophy Care

Discussions about learning taxidermy & picking taxidermist.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Dewey

Trophy Care

Unread postby Dewey » Tue May 31, 2011 6:52 am

We spend plenty of time talking about trophies so I thought it would be nice to hear what everybody does to take care of their mounts they currently have.

Every few months I use a Trophy Duster http://www.lunkers.com/store/duster.htm to remove any dust and it seems to do a pretty good job but I feel like there is more I should do. We have a few great taxidermists here and I was wondering what they would recommend. My taxidermist actually mentioned spraying a little Pledge Furniture Polish on a rag and lightly wipe the hair in the direction it lays and this keeps the natural shine of the hair and aids in the prevention of dust sticking to the hair.

Any other tips??

Bucky

Re: Trophy Care

Unread postby Bucky » Tue May 31, 2011 7:34 am

I'm interested to hear as well.... Mt Man should have some good insight... mine are dusty!
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
Mountain Man
500 Club

Unread postby Mountain Man » Tue May 31, 2011 7:40 am

Just wanted to let you guys know I saw this but I won't be able to answer for probably at least a few days. I have a major problem with a virus on my home computer and I'm at work right now just checking in on the Beast.
MM
Haus86

Unread postby Haus86 » Sun Jun 05, 2011 12:08 am

Great question Dewey. I've been wondering the same thing for quite some time. I look forward to seeing what Mountain Man has to say.
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Sun Jun 05, 2011 12:54 am

I use a microfiber extendable duster, looks like this...

It's extremely soft and doubles as a cobweb duster as well as tripling as a humping stick for our cat, who LOVES it in all the wrong ways if you leave it laying around.

After the duster I use a slightly damp piece of cloth on to do a 2nd dusting. If I'm feeling really ambitious I use slightly damp q tips on the eyes and nose.
http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
Mountain Man
500 Club

Unread postby Mountain Man » Sun Jun 05, 2011 12:12 pm

While my computer was being fixed I thought about this topic and remembered that a while ago I saw a nice tutorial about trophy care on Taxidermy.net. The tutorial was done by an excellent taxidermist named John Bellucci. I believe he won a Best In World title years ago and he has some manikins, videos and a book (Art of the Big Cat) to his name. Instead of reinventing the wheel I thought I would just post a link to his tutorial on mammal trophy care. The only I comment I have is to be very careful with cleaners like Windex around the eyes or any other area that may have been painted. The Windex (or other cleaners) can strip the paint if you're not careful.

http://www.taxidermy.net/forum/index.php/topic,203678.0.html
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Mon Jun 06, 2011 4:33 am

Thanks for the info Mountain Man!! Very much appreciated! :D
Spysar
500 Club

Unread postby Spysar » Mon Jun 06, 2011 7:39 am

I don't like the idea of putting pledge on a mount. That dosen't seem like it would clean a mount..... :?: But I'm no expert............
A buck will see you three times, and hear you twice, but he's only gonna smell you once.
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Tue Jun 07, 2011 3:20 am

Spysar wrote:I don't like the idea of putting pledge on a mount. That dosen't seem like it would clean a mount..... :?: But I'm no expert............

X2 - Not sure on the pledge part
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Tue Jun 07, 2011 3:45 am

Doesn't pledge used to repel dust? It can't be any worse than the chemicals they use to tan a hide to be honest. A very light spray on a clean cloth and lightly wipe down the hair shouldn't hurt it. Just about every taxidermist I've talked to says pledge won't hurt the cape unless you use too much.
http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Tue Jun 07, 2011 4:00 am

muddy wrote:Doesn't pledge used to repel dust? It can't be any worse than the chemicals they use to tan a hide to be honest. A very light spray on a clean cloth and lightly wipe down the hair shouldn't hurt it. Just about every taxidermist I've talked to says pledge won't hurt the cape unless you use too much.

My taxidermist has been recommending using Pledge on a rag for over 20 years on every mount that goes out his door and he does over 200 mounts /year. If this did do any damage I'm sure he would have a lot of unhappy customers over the years by now and would stop suggesting it. My oldest mount is only 9 years old and it looks as good as the day I picked it up. I tried this on one of my dads mounts from 1996 and immediately it looked much better. I agree that as long as you don't go crazy with excess spray you won't have a problem.
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Tue Jun 07, 2011 4:27 am

Sounds good, I will give it a try
DropTyne
500 Club

Unread postby DropTyne » Tue Jun 07, 2011 3:00 pm

My taxidermist also recommends pledge or liquid gold for both the cape and antlers. Repels the dust, gives the antlers a nice even shine that will diminish with time but makes the mount look great! I purposely avoid the eyes and nose areas as they are more delicate and I would hate to knock whiskers or eyelashes lose by accident.

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
DROPTYNE

"Obsessed is a Word the Lazy Use to Describe the Dedicated"
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Sat Aug 20, 2011 4:38 am

I use a rag with mineral spirits. Wipe them down, gets dust/dirt off and not much muss or fuss. Pledge may be a good alternative though.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.

• Advertisement

Return to “Taxidermy”