New Mount of 16 pointer

Discussions about learning taxidermy & picking taxidermist.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Bigdaddy-yoyo
500 Club

New Mount of 16 pointer

Unread postby Bigdaddy-yoyo » Thu Mar 11, 2010 10:15 pm

Hey Mountain Man wondering if you would critique this mount for me.I love your work and respect your opinion. Not my mount it is my buddy Pauls.
Pauls Buck
Pauls mount
THANKS bigdaddy

PredatorTC
500 Club

Re: New Mount of 16 pointer

Unread postby PredatorTC » Fri Mar 12, 2010 1:01 am

I don't know what it is about the eyes but i love it!!! Awesome!! also like the huge neck!!
PLB
500 Club

Unread postby PLB » Fri Mar 12, 2010 1:21 am

The eyes look a little sleepy to me? I like when a taxidermist can make them look more lifelike or alert/awake. I know cuz I have a couple that I'm not thrilled with the eyes. I've been told in Taxidermy with eyes either you have it or you don't? Nontheless a great looking mount and a of a buck! :D
Obsession Bows
Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks
Liberty-Hunt
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/liberty.hunt.188

Unread postby Liberty-Hunt » Fri Mar 12, 2010 1:24 am

Simply beautiful work!!!
"Huntingly",
L-H

GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH!
Bigdaddy-yoyo
500 Club

Unread postby Bigdaddy-yoyo » Fri Mar 12, 2010 3:19 am

Hey PLB he is sleeping 'on the wall' :roll: :roll: LOL
Mountain Man
500 Club

Unread postby Mountain Man » Fri Mar 12, 2010 4:35 am

Bigdaddy-yoyo wrote:Hey Mountain Man wondering if you would critique this mount for me.I love your work and respect your opinion. Not my mount it is my buddy Pauls.
THANKS bigdaddy

Bigdaddy-yoyo,

Thank you for the kind words. While I respect your request, and I want this taxidermy forum to be educational for everyone, I have decided that I am not going to critique that mount here since this is your friend Paul’s mount. If Paul asks me to critique it here or in a pm, I will; however, please keep in mind that whenever a mount gets critiqued and there was something done incorrectly, no matter how small the error might be, the owner of that mount will most likely never look at their mount the same way again. Some people get very defensive when they get a mount critiqued. Some others will say they don’t care if something is wrong and they are still happy with the mount, but I firmly believe that even though they may say that, deep down it hurts them at least a little since their sense of accomplishment and pride and memories in taking a deer like that would now be somewhat diminished or tainted if something were wrong with the mount b/c every time they would look at the mount their eyes would be drawn to the problem area(s) (I’m not sure if diminished or tainted are the right words to use here but hopefully you know what I’m trying to say). I’m sure Paul is very proud of his deer and mount and he should be. That’s a very impressive deer. I hope you understand where I’m coming from on this and why I don’t want to critique it on a public forum.

If the deer was your own and you wanted a critique I would give you one here, or if Paul asks for a critique I could give him one but I think it's better to leave this one alone for now since it is Paul's deer and mount. Again, I hope you understand where I'm coming from.

On a similar note, I am in the process of writing an article that will have a lot of text and pictures of what to look for in a nice commercial deer shoulder mount. This will probably not be done for several weeks as there are a lot of things that need to be covered. With that article I am hoping to educate people on what features a good deer mount should have and what to look for when those features were done incorrectly.
huntinnurse
500 Club

Unread postby huntinnurse » Fri Mar 12, 2010 6:11 am

Excellent Mountain Man. Your points are very valid and good for us to read. You are absolutely right, if flaws are pointed out that the owner may not even have noticed, that is what you see every time you look at it. I have experienced that very thing with someone elses mounts I looked at daily.
I like the idea of your detailed article coming out complete with pics. If I wanted a critique on an animal of mine, I would prefer it in a pm. I know of at least one deer mount that was critiqued on an open forum, even tho the owner asked, but I ended up being very embarrassed for the owner as the deer was a magnificent deer in life and the taxi did a really horrible job on it. I was even able to pick out some of the bad crap with an untrained eye. All in the name of being cheap and not wanting to spend a few extra bucks for a buck of a lifetime.
People, don't short change yourself for something you want to look at every day. If you can't spend the money, at least freeze it til ya can, or do a European mount. Those are very cool too!!!!
Beautiful deer!!!!! I like it!!!! I do like the eyes, too, personally. Looks like a bit of a squint like he is trying to see the hunter a bit better, but not soon enough as the hunter won in this case.
For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.John 3:16 KJV
Sam Ubl
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.carbontv.com/shows/chase-na ... red-slider

Unread postby Sam Ubl » Fri Mar 12, 2010 10:04 am

I think the deer looks like he's doing "Blue Steel", the model pose from Zoolander. It's a great looking mount in my opinion, and one of a deer!
Chase Nation | Reality Hunting TV | http://www.chasenation.tv
Watch Chase Nation on Carbon TV: https://www.carbontv.com/shows/chase-na ... red-slider
Huntmore | http://www.huntmore.io/
tresleggos

Unread postby tresleggos » Sat Mar 13, 2010 12:01 am

i have mountain man critique all my mounts ive been doing lately and you always have to expect something to be wrong(esp. for me since im new to it still) he makes me cry myself to sleep some nights :D :D but i believe if you dont get some good taxidermists opinions then you will never get better.......IMO the mounts looks good i see a couple flaws in the eyes area....but overall a good commercial mount....what a slob
Bigdaddy-yoyo
500 Club

Unread postby Bigdaddy-yoyo » Sat Mar 13, 2010 12:59 am

thanks for the comments guys. Mountain Man I respect your decision.Paul is very excited about his deer and mount.He wanted me to post this. I will have him PM you. We just want to learn what is good and bad in a mount. And Mountain Man 'You da man' when it comes to mounts !!! :D
DevinJD2007
500 Club

Unread postby DevinJD2007 » Mon Mar 15, 2010 3:17 pm

I think the mount looks great in my opinion but I am not expert on mounts but I like the overall look of it and love the neck. 8-)
Bigdaddy-yoyo
500 Club

Unread postby Bigdaddy-yoyo » Tue Mar 16, 2010 1:29 am

Thanks for the kind words Devin :) I will let my buddy Paul know
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Wed Sep 07, 2011 11:50 am

Public Land Beast wrote:The eyes look a little sleepy to me? I like when a taxidermist can make them look more lifelike or alert/awake. I know cuz I have a couple that I'm not thrilled with the eyes. I've been told in Taxidermy with eyes either you have it or you don't? Nontheless a great looking mount and a CENSORED FOR BAD LANGUAGE of a buck! :D

the eyes are aswome ..... grate work
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Wed Sep 07, 2011 12:23 pm

Nice mount for sure.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
lynchpin

Unread postby lynchpin » Sun Sep 11, 2011 1:59 am

Good looking mount for sure!
go DEEP or go HOME

• Advertisement

Return to “Taxidermy”