Fleshing a deer cape

Discussions about learning taxidermy & picking taxidermist.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

BowHusker

Fleshing a deer cape

Unread postby BowHusker » Tue Nov 13, 2018 6:02 am

Hey guys, I was wondering if anyone has any tips on fleshing a hide. I want to make some buckskin for a couple winter projects I have in mind. My daughter took a nice 10 pointer yesterday morning and when I got the hide on the fleshing beam and tried my hand at it with my scraper it didn't work at all. Was it too fresh? Is that even possible lol? The YouTube videos make it look really easy!!

AKA "The Lone Wolf Assassin"
Killemquietly

Re: Fleshing a deer cape

Unread postby Killemquietly » Tue Nov 13, 2018 6:28 am

I just started that last year myself, I saved a couple hides from last year and lost one. Buy some Alum to keep on hand for "hair on" hides, the cheapest place is a website that sells nuts, I don't recall the name but you can get by the 2 lb bag there really cheap. the small containers from the grocery are extremely expensive. Get a decent fleshing knife and make or buy a fleshing beam. A bunch of great you tubes on all of the above. A taxidermist I recently met said he fleshes with a pressure washer makes it fast and super clean. I'm looking forward to making a back quiver for Traditional archery with one of mine, also thinking about some cold weather hats. Good luck to you with your endeaver. Post some pics when you make something, I'll subscribe to this thread.
BowHusker

Unread postby BowHusker » Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:04 am

Killemquietly wrote:I just started that last year myself, I saved a couple hides from last year and lost one. Buy some Alum to keep on hand for "hair on" hides, the cheapest place is a website that sells nuts, I don't recall the name but you can get by the 2 lb bag there really cheap. the small containers from the grocery are extremely expensive. Get a decent fleshing knife and make or buy a fleshing beam. A bunch of great you tubes on all of the above. A taxidermist I recently met said he fleshes with a pressure washer makes it fast and super clean. I'm looking forward to making a back quiver for Traditional archery with one of mine, also thinking about some cold weather hats. Good luck to you with your endeaver. Post some pics when you make something, I'll subscribe to this thread.

I saw a video using a pressure washer as well. I might actually try that for my first try. I'll keep you posted
AKA "The Lone Wolf Assassin"
Killemquietly

Unread postby Killemquietly » Sun Dec 16, 2018 12:22 pm

That place to get Alum is www.Nuts.com it comes in a 2lb bag for about 12 bucks or so.
adelle26
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1464870057

Unread postby adelle26 » Mon Dec 17, 2018 5:48 am

A wooden beam and necker knife works well.
A little bit of salt on the hide as you work will firm up the meat and allow it to be scraped off easier.
wild and wonderful
North Arrow Taxidermy
Kraftd
500 Club

Unread postby Kraftd » Fri Jan 04, 2019 8:22 am

My daughters wants a deer rug and I have a cape and beaver I want to try tanning too. After what is probably similar internet research, I'll be trying the pressure washer route when things warm-up myself!
Horizontal Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Horizontal Hunter » Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:26 am

Kraftd wrote:My daughters wants a deer rug and I have a cape and beaver I want to try tanning too. After what is probably similar internet research, I'll be trying the pressure washer route when things warm-up myself!

FWIW:
I want to say that I read somewhere that the winter hides make terrible rugs because the winter hair is hollow and doesn’t hold up. I think that it was John Trout’s book on tracking wounded deer.

He was recommending a tanned hide hung on the wall to study and compare the hair found after the hit.

I have no personal experience to offer but I remember reading it and thinking Hmmm. I never would have considered that.

Bob
Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter. :o

Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire
Kraftd
500 Club

Unread postby Kraftd » Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:43 am

Horizontal Hunter wrote:
Kraftd wrote:My daughters wants a deer rug and I have a cape and beaver I want to try tanning too. After what is probably similar internet research, I'll be trying the pressure washer route when things warm-up myself!

FWIW:
I want to say that I read somewhere that the winter hides make terrible rugs because the winter hair is hollow and doesn’t hold up. I think that it was John Trout’s book on tracking wounded deer.

He was recommending a tanned hide hung on the wall to study and compare the hair found after the hit.

I have no personal experience to offer but I remember reading it and thinking Hmmm. I never would have considered that.

Bob

Appreciate the input. This will likely be an 8 year olds 4H project and likely to be beyond recognition from a puppy and kids within a week, so not too worried about that. Just something to play around with for a few hours of time and $50 worth of stuff!
Killemquietly

Unread postby Killemquietly » Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:56 am

Well being as we can't legally kill em in the Summer, I think we'll have to live with it. Use the Alum, and the hair stays on nicely. Of course your northern guys may have more of a problem with that issue than me in Louisiana. Our season this years still has days in the 80 degree range. We had a cold front last night got down to 37, but short sleeve weather in the daytime.
AR Hunter

Unread postby AR Hunter » Sun Jan 27, 2019 12:31 pm

I know a taxidermist that does it with a pressure washer as well.

• Advertisement

Return to “Taxidermy”