Dried out Antlers?

Discussions about learning taxidermy & picking taxidermist.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

DropTyne
500 Club

Dried out Antlers?

Unread postby DropTyne » Tue Dec 28, 2010 10:36 am

I was at my parents house for Christmas this weekend and I was looking at some of my older racks from when I first started hunting. I noticed they seemed drier and more porouse than they once were, almost like they are getting more brittle. Is this normal? Is there anything I can do to prevent that from happening to my nice wall mounts?

DROPTYNE

"Obsessed is a Word the Lazy Use to Describe the Dedicated"
huntinnurse
500 Club

Re: Dried out Antlers?

Unread postby huntinnurse » Tue Dec 28, 2010 1:33 pm

Might want to see waht the ideal humidity level year round should be for mounts. I know some people keep their mounts in rooms where they can keep the humidity level and temps constant for this reason.
For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.John 3:16 KJV
Mountain Man
500 Club

Re: Dried out Antlers?

Unread postby Mountain Man » Wed Dec 29, 2010 10:48 am

I have only heard of antlers getting porous if left outside and exposed to the elements. If they were stored inside I don't know what would cause that.

I don’t put anything on antlers and haven’t noticed any getting dry over the years but I know some guys will use Scott’s Liquid Gold, Old English, or Pledge Furniture Polish – just spray or wipe it on and then wipe off any excess. You might want to try one of those products.

• Advertisement

Return to “Taxidermy”