crossing state lines with a would-be mount?

Discussions about learning taxidermy & picking taxidermist.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

JackKnifeJake

crossing state lines with a would-be mount?

Unread postby JackKnifeJake » Wed Aug 17, 2016 12:38 pm

If I shot a deer in Delaware and wanted it mounted in Virginia is that legal?

Buckshot20
500 Club

Re: crossing state lines with a would-be mount?

Unread postby Buckshot20 » Wed Aug 17, 2016 1:10 pm

Sure as long as you have the appropriate tags.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Wed Aug 17, 2016 5:35 pm

It depends on whether Delaware has CWD or possibly another disease in their deer herd.
You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.
Isoroku Yamamoto, Japanese Admiral
ruttnhrd

Unread postby ruttnhrd » Wed Aug 17, 2016 10:28 pm

I have taken deer and other game across many states and even across international borders many times. I'm heading to Wyoming in October and plan on bringing back deer and antelope. I'll be crossing a bunch of states. I think you will be fine.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
JackKnifeJake

Unread postby JackKnifeJake » Wed Aug 17, 2016 11:22 pm

DEERSLAYER wrote:It depends on whether Delaware has CWD or possibly another disease in their deer herd.

Thanks DS, I looked into it and found out that Delaware has a clean deer heard and that it can be transported out of state. Virginia however has import restrictions from 22 states and 2 Canadian provinces, where you can only import a finished taxidermy product. Thankfully Delaware is not on that list.....(found a good taxidermist here this past year). We have four counties that have been infected, all up by the West Virginia/Maryland border, and from 2009-2015 13 deer have tested positive. Now you can transport deer from Virginia to your home state if your home state allows it, as long as it wasn't taken in one of those four counties....anyways thanks again for the lead. The Beast comes out on top again!
DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Thu Aug 18, 2016 4:27 am

Thanks for letting us know the details JackKnifeJake.

I think in most states you can only cross state lines with deboned meat, the hide, the antlers attached to a skull plate cleaned of all brain and muscle tissue, upper front teeth or a finished mount if the deer is from a CWD state. I heard of one guy that brought a deer from a CWD state to his taxidermist last year and the taxidermist was very unhappy about it and contemplated turning him in, but didn't.

They take it pretty serious because it can take as little as a drop of saliva from a CWD positive deer hitting the ground to infect that soil for years or indefinitely in certain types of soil. Last year the Michigan DNR busted several people by the I-94 corridor of the Michigan/Indiana border and they confiscated six deer. Five from Illinois, and one from Wisconsin. They had to pay hundreds in fines and court costs, they won't get their deer back (they are incinerated) and there is a good chance they received at least three days in jail. Plus now they have a game law violation on their record.
You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.
Isoroku Yamamoto, Japanese Admiral

• Advertisement

Return to “Taxidermy”