Any interest in a whitetail shoulder mount class?

Discussions about learning taxidermy & picking taxidermist.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Buckshot20
500 Club

Re: Any interest in a whitetail shoulder mount class?

Unread postby Buckshot20 » Thu May 26, 2016 8:14 am

mainebowhunter wrote:On a sidenote, be great to have a video of how to cape the hide off of the skull. If you travel to hunt, especially if you fly, bringing home a whole head is not an option. We cape all deer out and freeze them in a carry on to bring home on the plane with us.

Guess it would be a "Part 2" to the video you just posted.

Caping the skull intimidates me. I'm scared I will mess up the eyes or cut too big a hole or something. I feel like the face is harder to patch.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

mainebowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby mainebowhunter » Thu May 26, 2016 8:53 am

Buckshot20 wrote:
mainebowhunter wrote:On a sidenote, be great to have a video of how to cape the hide off of the skull. If you travel to hunt, especially if you fly, bringing home a whole head is not an option. We cape all deer out and freeze them in a carry on to bring home on the plane with us.

Caping the skull intimidates me. I'm scared I will mess up the eyes or cut too big a hole or something. I feel like the face is harder to patch.

Just take your time...once you have done it a few times, its not a big deal. And the only reason really is if you have to travel with it. I know now there are a bunch of rules about CWD states and crossing state lines with brain matter.
Bayshorebuck8
500 Club

Unread postby Bayshorebuck8 » Thu May 26, 2016 8:55 am

Buckshot20 wrote:Just a thought but what if you did a video series from kill to wall? Start with caping it, tanning, selecting the mold ect. I would buy it. I can't make a class in Wisconsin from Florida but I'm sure there are others on here that would be interested.

X2

Buckshot20
500 Club

Unread postby Buckshot20 » Thu May 26, 2016 9:19 am

mainebowhunter wrote:
Buckshot20 wrote:

Just take your time...once you have done it a few times, its not a big deal. And the only reason really is if you have to travel with it. I know now there are a bunch of rules about CWD states and crossing state lines with brain matter.

Exactly. I'm headed to Missouri this year and that's one of the states on the list. Atleast for Florida. Also if I leave the state to get on big mega bucks, anywhere in the Midwest is min. 10hr ride. It would be nice to really know how to do that stuff, and do it right.

bigbucks1234

Unread postby bigbucks1234 » Sat May 28, 2016 11:13 am

i'd be interested
purebowhunting
500 Club

Unread postby purebowhunting » Sat May 28, 2016 12:12 pm

Jeff, will you have different mounts at different stages so you can show finishing a mount also?
Jeff G
500 Club

Unread postby Jeff G » Sat May 28, 2016 12:26 pm

purebowhunting wrote:Jeff, will you have different mounts at different stages so you can show finishing a mount also?

Yes, there would be a couple. Prepped form, ready to mount skin on and one that was mounted, dried and ready for paint/finish work.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Kraftd
500 Club

Unread postby Kraftd » Fri Jun 10, 2016 4:02 am

Buckshot20 wrote:

I used to feel the same way, then did a couple and it's actually pretty easy to do. I bought a cheap box of disposable scalpels and they are dirt cheap and fantastic for this task. I'm sure Jeff does it better, but it really is pretty easy.

Jeff, I'd have some interest depending on cost and timing. tough to find weekend time spring through fall, well really tough anytime but those periods in particular.
Bayshorebuck8
500 Club

Unread postby Bayshorebuck8 » Fri Jun 10, 2016 10:58 am

Id love to attend but am all the way in mi

• Advertisement

Return to “Taxidermy”